By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - US Midterm Elections 2018- Dems take the House, GOP Keeps the Senate.

 

Who did you vote for?

GOP Rep and GOP Senator 20 30.77%
 
Democrat Rep and Democrat Senator 38 58.46%
 
GOP Rep and Democrat Senator 0 0%
 
Democrat Rep and GOP Senator 4 6.15%
 
Third Party/Other 3 4.62%
 
Total:65
Kirin_gaming said:
Smartie900 said:

Damn. We're just gonna have policy gridlock now. Hopefully the 2 parties stop having dick measuring contests and actually compromise on different issues. Not getting my hopes up though.

Yup, nothing will get done for the next 2 years. No fucking wonder China is going to own us in the future, meritocracy FTW I guess.

Honestly, I'm happy with it. I'm not gonna say that the republicans had absolutely no good things on the agenda, but on balance, there was more bad than good.  The effort to legalize discrimination in the guise of religious freedom is terrifying, the effort at mass deregulation shows that nothing was learned from the recession we got out of a few years ago, and the anti-science platform could be literally cataclysmic.  Hopefully, some of the more reasonable stuff will get through... but probably not.  Sometimes though, no news is good news.



Around the Network
JWeinCom said:
DarthMetalliCube said:
So 90% of the media, celebs, athletes, etc ALL imploring the youth to get out and vote (for OUR guys on the left, wink wink), this massive "blue wave", etc.. results in a *slight* Dem majority of the House, probably LOSE seats in the Senate, and minority of Governorships? Sweet..

Eh... if you think a swing of about 30 seats, and likely five or so governorships, is not a big deal, then you probably don't follow politics that closely.  It's kind of a big deal.  People are generally too set in their political parties for any sort of massive change.  Nobody expected Democrats to take like 50 seats cause that just doesn't happen.  Senate losses were expected simply because more democrats were up for reelection.  |

It's not quite the slam dunk that people would have hoped for (democratic people at least) but if you think this result is sweet for republicans, you're deluding yourself.  

Not really, it's the natural swinging of the pendulum. I pretty much expected at least a slight victory for the Dems in the house. The incumbent president's party tends to lose the seats during the mids. Obama lost a lot more in 2010 for the Dems from what I understand, resulting in the largest swing in like 70 years. Repubs had more to lose.

The "sweet" was meant as sarcasm. Though I suppose that doesn't come across so much over the internet..



 

"We hold these truths t-be self-ful evident. All men and women created by the.. Go-you know the.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

DarthMetalliCube said:
JWeinCom said:

Eh... if you think a swing of about 30 seats, and likely five or so governorships, is not a big deal, then you probably don't follow politics that closely.  It's kind of a big deal.  People are generally too set in their political parties for any sort of massive change.  Nobody expected Democrats to take like 50 seats cause that just doesn't happen.  Senate losses were expected simply because more democrats were up for reelection.  |

It's not quite the slam dunk that people would have hoped for (democratic people at least) but if you think this result is sweet for republicans, you're deluding yourself.  

Not really, it's the natural swinging of the pendulum. I pretty much expected at least a slight victory for the Dems in the house. The incumbent president's party tends to lose the seats during the mids. Obama lost a lot more in 2010 for the Dems from what I understand, resulting in the largest swing in like 70 years. Repubs had more to lose.

The "sweet" was meant as sarcasm. Though I suppose that doesn't come across so much over the internet..

 

You kind of said it yourself.  That was the largest swing in 70 years.  I guess I was wrong to say "that just doesn't happen".  I should have said, that happens incredibly rarely.  This will be the third largest shift in the last 30 years.  So, like I said, not a total slam dunk, but definitely not a good night for republicans.  There are other signs that should be worrying to them (albeit some that should be concerning to Democrats too, namely the results in Florida) but it's late, and I really should get to bed. So if you don't agree I guess we'll just have to leave it at that.



So seems I was right(as most were). House narrowly goes to Dems, GOP keeps senate.

Reminder to all just in case, let's keep on keeping it civil



NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Smartie900 said:

Damn. We're just gonna have policy gridlock now. Hopefully the 2 parties stop having dick measuring contests and actually compromise on different issues. Not getting my hopes up though.

Hahahaha hahahaha hahahaha ahahahahahahahahaha hahahaha hahahaha hahahaha hahahaha hahahaha hahahaha hahahaha hahahaha hahahaha hahahaha hahahaha hahahaha hahahaha hahahaha hahahaha hahahaha hahahaha hahahaha hahahaha hahahaha hahahaha hahahaha hahahaha hahahaha

Good joke



Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Around the Network

Even though democrats won the house it was a bad night for democrats, losing multiple senate seats is worse than winning house seats as those elections happens every 2 years. And democrats has a pretty big disadvantage in the senate.

Republicans did really well in Ohio and Florida giving trump decent chance of winning reelection 2020. Democrats won the nevada senate from what I can see and did strong in pennysylvania which they will need to win over Donald Trump.

Edit: and yep my prediction was out of whack.



6x master league achiever in starcraft2

Beaten Sigrun on God of war mode

Beaten DOOM ultra-nightmare with NO endless ammo-rune, 2x super shotgun and no decoys on ps4 pro.

1-0 against Grubby in Wc3 frozen throne ladder!!

Well senator clown face narrowly got reelected but at least Pete Sessions lost so overall it was a good night for Texas.



Thousands of other votes was not counted because of voter suppression.



Looking like McSally might pick up Az, 13k lead,98% in and i think her turf of Pinal county is coming up for being counted next. Sinema's strong districts already in and counted



NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

PwerlvlAmy said:
Looking like McSally might pick up Az, 13k lead,98% in and i think her turf of Pinal county is coming up for being counted next. Sinema's strong districts already in and counted

Yeah looks like the GOP will send up with 54 senate seats. More than I expected.