By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - US Midterm Elections 2018- Dems take the House, GOP Keeps the Senate.

Who did you vote for?

GOP Rep and GOP Senator 20 30.77%

Democrat Rep and Democrat Senator 38 58.46%

GOP Rep and Democrat Senator 0 0%

Democrat Rep and GOP Senator 4 6.15%

Third Party/Other 3 4.62%

Total:65
spurgeonryan said:
collint0101 said:

I honestly can't tell if you're trolling or not. Believe it or not there are legitimate reasons to not like trump. There's more to politics than just economics and tax cuts and while I will admit Trump's economy is good for me that doesn't excuse the way he handles the environment, immigration, education, healthcare, Saudi Arabia, Israel, trans rights ect

So we should go back to how we were handling all of this.....by not handling it. In the past twenty years what president has done anything about immigration? Yes we are a land of immigrants, but for too long people have been immigrating the wrong way.

Saudia Arabia? We have been bending over to them since oil was created by God!

Isreal? What is he doing differently?

Healthcare? Fuck Obama care along with his wars he was ending.

Education? My Chicago schooled kids just got laptops, all of them!

I agree on the environment.

But give me a break on the rest. Not like anyone else has done or is doing anything better or had better ideas they could push.

When it comes to Saudi Arabia and Israel I will admit these issues go back way before trump but that doesn't change how he has delt with both countries. As for obama care yes it's flawed but it still expanded coverage to people with pre existing conditions which is something the republicans have been trying to repeal constantly. Also just because you local school gave out laptops doesn't change the fact that in a lot of lower class areas they can barely afford text books let alone computers 

Around the Network

So 90% of the media, celebs, athletes, etc ALL imploring the youth to get out and vote (for OUR guys on the left, wink wink), this massive "blue wave", etc.. results in a *slight* Dem majority of the House, probably LOSE seats in the Senate, and minority of Governorships? Sweet..

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

DarthMetalliCube said:
So 90% of the media, celebs, athletes, etc ALL imploring the youth to get out and vote (for OUR guys on the left, wink wink), this massive "blue wave", etc.. results in a *slight* Dem majority of the House, probably LOSE seats in the Senate, and minority of Governorships? Sweet..

Eh... if you think a swing of about 30 seats, and likely five or so governorships, is not a big deal, then you probably don't follow politics that closely.  It's kind of a big deal.  People are generally too set in their political parties for any sort of massive change.  Nobody expected Democrats to take like 50 seats cause that just doesn't happen.  Senate losses were expected simply because more democrats were up for reelection.  |

It's not quite the slam dunk that people would have hoped for (democratic people at least) but if you think this result is sweet for republicans, you're deluding yourself.  

Last edited by JWeinCom - on 07 November 2018

Smartie900 said:

Damn. We're just gonna have policy gridlock now. Hopefully the 2 parties stop having dick measuring contests and actually compromise on different issues. Not getting my hopes up though.

Yup, nothing will get done for the next 2 years. No fucking wonder China is going to own us in the future, meritocracy FTW I guess.

Kirin_gaming said:
Smartie900 said:

Damn. We're just gonna have policy gridlock now. Hopefully the 2 parties stop having dick measuring contests and actually compromise on different issues. Not getting my hopes up though.

Yup, nothing will get done for the next 2 years. No fucking wonder China is going to own us in the future, meritocracy FTW I guess.

Honestly, I'm happy with it. I'm not gonna say that the republicans had absolutely no good things on the agenda, but on balance, there was more bad than good.  The effort to legalize discrimination in the guise of religious freedom is terrifying, the effort at mass deregulation shows that nothing was learned from the recession we got out of a few years ago, and the anti-science platform could be literally cataclysmic.  Hopefully, some of the more reasonable stuff will get through... but probably not.  Sometimes though, no news is good news.

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:
DarthMetalliCube said:

Eh... if you think a swing of about 30 seats, and likely five or so governorships, is not a big deal, then you probably don't follow politics that closely.  It's kind of a big deal.  People are generally too set in their political parties for any sort of massive change.  Nobody expected Democrats to take like 50 seats cause that just doesn't happen.  Senate losses were expected simply because more democrats were up for reelection.  |

It's not quite the slam dunk that people would have hoped for (democratic people at least) but if you think this result is sweet for republicans, you're deluding yourself.  

Not really, it's the natural swinging of the pendulum. I pretty much expected at least a slight victory for the Dems in the house. The incumbent president's party tends to lose the seats during the mids. Obama lost a lot more in 2010 for the Dems from what I understand, resulting in the largest swing in like 70 years. Repubs had more to lose.

The "sweet" was meant as sarcasm. Though I suppose that doesn't come across so much over the internet..

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

DarthMetalliCube said:
JWeinCom said:

Not really, it's the natural swinging of the pendulum. I pretty much expected at least a slight victory for the Dems in the house. The incumbent president's party tends to lose the seats during the mids. Obama lost a lot more in 2010 for the Dems from what I understand, resulting in the largest swing in like 70 years. Repubs had more to lose.

The "sweet" was meant as sarcasm. Though I suppose that doesn't come across so much over the internet..

You kind of said it yourself.  That was the largest swing in 70 years.  I guess I was wrong to say "that just doesn't happen".  I should have said, that happens incredibly rarely.  This will be the third largest shift in the last 30 years.  So, like I said, not a total slam dunk, but definitely not a good night for republicans.  There are other signs that should be worrying to them (albeit some that should be concerning to Democrats too, namely the results in Florida) but it's late, and I really should get to bed. So if you don't agree I guess we'll just have to leave it at that.

So seems I was right(as most were). House narrowly goes to Dems, GOP keeps senate.

Reminder to all just in case, let's keep on keeping it civil

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Smartie900 said:

Hahahaha hahahaha hahahaha ahahahahahahahahaha hahahaha hahahaha hahahaha hahahaha hahahaha hahahaha hahahaha hahahaha hahahaha hahahaha hahahaha hahahaha hahahaha hahahaha hahahaha hahahaha hahahaha hahahaha hahahaha hahahaha hahahaha hahahaha hahahaha hahahaha

Good joke

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Even though democrats won the house it was a bad night for democrats, losing multiple senate seats is worse than winning house seats as those elections happens every 2 years. And democrats has a pretty big disadvantage in the senate.

Republicans did really well in Ohio and Florida giving trump decent chance of winning reelection 2020. Democrats won the nevada senate from what I can see and did strong in pennysylvania which they will need to win over Donald Trump.

Edit: and yep my prediction was out of whack.

6x master league achiever in starcraft2

Beaten Sigrun on God of war mode

Beaten DOOM ultra-nightmare with NO endless ammo-rune, 2x super shotgun and no decoys on ps4 pro.

1-0 against Grubby in Wc3 frozen throne ladder!!