By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - NPD: Top 10 Best Selling PS4 and Xbox One Games. LTD

Same on Xbone. Not that I’d buy BFV anyway but seeing the firesale on BF1 would make me wait on it. Same as Ass Creed. Why buy now when the gold edition will be $40-50 soon.

Around the Network
LudicrousSpeed said:
DonFerrari said:
It's such a sad thing to look at these lists as see so many games I wouldn't ever buy being in the top instead of some great games I love.

These games you’d never buy are what fund the games you love.

Would like to see the cumbersome explanation of the great sales of Cod or Fifa funding God of War, Detroit, Spider-Man, etc.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

These games you’d never buy are what fund the games you love.

Would like to see the cumbersome explanation of the great sales of Cod or Fifa funding God of War, Detroit, Spider-Man, etc.

How exactly is it cumbersome? It’s basic economics. It’s no different than when an actor like William Dafoe says he’ll star in a big budget popcorn flick to make the money that allows for the more artistic roles in smaller films. Or to bring it back to Sony, when Yoshida said 60-70% of Sony games lose money, but the bigger titles make up the cost of all of them. It works the same way in music and film and television.

So yeah maybe God of War doesn’t get directly funded by sales of games like this, but games like Days Gone and deals like Spider-Man get done because of sales of games like God of War or royalties from games like Call of Duty.

LudicrousSpeed said:
The entire BF1 DLC was free on XB1 for awhile up until a few days ago.

They always do that. Offer the DLC free to play for a little while for every one to play. It's not just on XB1 but also PS4. They've done it quite a lot. 

bananaking21 said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

They always do that. Offer the DLC free to play for a little while for every one to play. It's not just on XB1 but also PS4. They've done it quite a lot. 

No the DLC has been 100% free not free for a limited time.

Around the Network
bananaking21 said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

I know. The discussion was whether it was only on PS4. I was letting him know it also applied to XB1.

LudicrousSpeed said:
DonFerrari said:

How exactly is it cumbersome? It’s basic economics. It’s no different than when an actor like William Dafoe says he’ll star in a big budget popcorn flick to make the money that allows for the more artistic roles in smaller films. Or to bring it back to Sony, when Yoshida said 60-70% of Sony games lose money, but the bigger titles make up the cost of all of them. It works the same way in music and film and television.

So yeah maybe God of War doesn’t get directly funded by sales of games like this, but games like Days Gone and deals like Spider-Man get done because of sales of games like God of War or royalties from games like Call of Duty.

So you were basically speaking no-sense right? Because sure if you said that GoW and other sony 1st parties allows then to venture and make risky games and have as Yoshida said 60% of their games not profiting (which isn't really the case this gen anyway) I would have agreed, but when you put that for Fifa, CoD and the like that are most of the top 10 that isn't nearly true as those pubs (EA, Activision, etc) doesn't regularly put their profits on games they know won't profit but wish to expand the console portfolio. Nintendo as another 1st party could be doing similar to Sony but they don't as they release less new IPs, takes less risk on SW and most of their games are profitable. MS have been very low and thin on their 1st party so I can't see how the few success are allowing then various risky projects (it may change with their new acquired studios).

So yes, I keep failing to see how these big 3rd party games are directly paying out for the risk 1st party games or even these studios risky projects. So since it's basic economics you'll be able to explain it quite simple, as I'm pretty sure William Dafoe making a big flick to fill his pockets and have time to do leisure projects for himself doesn't finance another actor in Africa.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:

So you were basically speaking no-sense right?

I truly feel sorry for you if you feel that way, that you're so eager to disagree that you're ignoring blatant and plain logic.

DonFerrari said:
Because sure if you said that GoW and other sony 1st parties allows then to venture and make risky games and have as Yoshida said 60% of their games not profiting (which isn't really the case this gen anyway) I would have agreed,

I literally did just say sales of God of War helped finance other Sony games. And you don't need to take my word for it, Sony said 60-70% of their games don't make money. And they also said their bigger titles (like God of War) helps pay for those 6-7 more risky/less popular games. Hope that helps.

DonFerrari said:
but when you put that for Fifa, CoD and the like that are most of the top 10 that isn't nearly true as those pubs (EA, Activision, etc) doesn't regularly put their profits on games they know won't profit but wish to expand the console portfolio.

We can agree to disagree, personally I think publishers like EA and Ubisoft have done great jobs with new IP's and putting out more niche titles. I don't know about Activision, I tend to avoid anything they make. EA has made stuff like the Unravel franchise, they took a risk with Titanfall, they brought back Mirror's Edge, they have Fe, they tried with A Way Out, they have Anthem coming. Ubisoft has tons, they've done a lot with smaller focused games and new IP's this gen. Bethesda is another good example. Mega big franchises like Doom, Elder Scrolls, and Fallout easily make their large library of single player franchises possible. Good luck getting Prey without the success of their bigger franchises.

DonFerrari said:
Nintendo as another 1st party could be doing similar to Sony but they don't as they release less new IPs, takes less risk on SW and most of their games are profitable. MS have been very low and thin on their 1st party so I can't see how the few success are allowing then various risky projects (it may change with their new acquired studios).

Nintendo has quite a few new IP's this gen and have taken a lot of risks. lol, you really don't understand how the success of a game like Horizon 4 might give MS leeway to green light something less mainstream? How have we gotten stuff like Cuphead or ReCore or Ori? Super Lucky's Tale? Also don't give Sony so much credit for being risky. They've been extremely safe this gen and don't have many new IP's themselves. You make it out as if Sony is taking risks left and right while the others just play it safe, couldn't be further from the truth.

DonFerrari said:

So yes, I keep failing to see how these big 3rd party games are directly paying out for the risk 1st party games or even these studios risky projects. So since it's basic economics you'll be able to explain it quite simple, as I'm pretty sure William Dafoe making a big flick to fill his pockets and have time to do leisure projects for himself doesn't finance another actor in Africa.

I didn't only mention third party games. God of War is a first party game. Furthermore I'm going to assume you enjoy Sony games that aren't just GoW, or deals they made for games like Detroit or Spider-Man. You do understand Sony makes a lot of money on royalties from these third party games, yes? You do know they get a slice of everything on PSN, yes?

Again Shu said the exact same stuff I'm saying. Money from big games trickle down into smaller projects. That's how it works in all entertainment industries. You think Netflix doesn't use money they make off of Stranger Things or OITNB to fund other stuff? Don't be silly.

Looking at this list and being sad that it's full of big mainstream games is a flawed and incorrect way to look at things, especially when you go on to list a game like freakin Detroit as a game you love LOL.

LudicrousSpeed said:
bananaking21 said:

I know. The discussion was whether it was only on PS4. I was letting him know it also applied to XB1.

I didn't realize the dlc was free on XB1, as well as the price getting as low as $5. Based on that, making it free at this point makes some sense. How much lower can you really go? $1.99? Why not on PS4 though? Could be a marketing deal, but that just seems awfully generous for EA. My guess, that it won't help as much with BFV sales and overall PR as it will on XB, but who really knows in this crooked, upside down gen?

Last edited by EricHiggin - on 05 November 2018

DreadPirateRoberts said:
EricHiggin said:

Possibly. More likely however, D2 hasn't been doing so hot overall, so a freebie is a decent idea to try and gain some momentum. Just like how a bunch of Battlefront freebies came about during/after the Battlefront 2 debacle, we've now seen D2 freebies do to it's issues, and BF1 freebies do to the BFV controversy. BF1 dlc expansions have been popping up for free on PS+ for quite a while now, and premium pass was free recently, or still is, on PS+. 

https://destinytracker.com/destiny/population

PS4 has at least twice as many consoles out there, yet PS4 is only 57% of the Destiny console population, while XB1 is 43%.

That shouldn't be a surprise really.  XBox is strongest in areas where shooters are most popular.

Earlier in the thread V

EricHiggin said:
LudicrousSpeed said:
Only thing surprising here is that either console has an exclusive in the top 10.

Actually I am surprised Destiny 2 made it on Xbone.

XB->Bungie->Halo->Destiny. XB really likes their shooters, and they really like Bungie's.