By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - (UPDATE: FAKE NEWS) New patch reportedly makes Silent Hill P.T Unplayable

Wyrdness said:
Azuren said:

Wrong. With a disc, I could always put it into a console without an internet connection, and thus no patch to disable the game. While you might be able to avoid the patch with a digital copy, once it has been patched it's done and cannot be undone save for finding someone with an unpatched copy.

It is a DRM thing, but all games are nowadays. The difference here is being able to still run a disc as opposed to just being screwed.

New patches for systems can be placed on newly released games with some new releases not even playing with out them, this was common during gen 7, buying physical copies and turning off your connection still doesn't avoid this unless you plan on not buying new games either.

If I bought a game on disc and they released a new disc with the update, they're not coming to my house to swap discs with me. My point still stands that owning the disc with the content I want allows me to access the content regardless of the publishers' wishes.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Around the Network
Azuren said:
Wyrdness said:

New patches for systems can be placed on newly released games with some new releases not even playing with out them, this was common during gen 7, buying physical copies and turning off your connection still doesn't avoid this unless you plan on not buying new games either.

If I bought a game on disc and they released a new disc with the update, they're not coming to my house to swap discs with me. My point still stands that owning the disc with the content I want allows me to access the content regardless of the publishers' wishes.

What are you on about the update would automatically on all discs so the game you bought would install it PS3, 360, Wii, WiiU etc... all had this as well they don't need to go to your house your point literally is wishful thinking as it would mean not only never connecting online but never buying and playing new games either.

Wyrdness said:
Azuren said:

What are you on about the update would automatically on all discs so the game you bought would install it PS3, 360, Wii, WiiU etc... all had this as well they don't need to go to your house your point literally is wishful thinking as it would mean not only never connecting online but never buying and playing new games either.

I could ask you the same question. My disc isn't going to be updated, the system data would. If I put that same disc in a system without internet access as I mentioned before, then the publisher can't do anything about it.

Azuren said:
Wyrdness said:

I could ask you the same question. My disc isn't going to be updated, the system data would. If I put that same disc in a system without internet access as I mentioned before, then the publisher can't do anything about it.

You said you simply won't connect online to avoid updates problem is updates are put on discs of new games so in order to fully avoid updates you'd have to not buy new games either that's the point the publisher or platform holder doesn't need you to connect online.

The fact that you're forced to use another system solely for one game means they've forced you to fork out to avoid updates.

Wyrdness said:
Azuren said:

You said you simply won't connect online to avoid updates problem is updates are put on discs of new games so in order to fully avoid updates you'd have to not buy new games either that's the point the publisher or platform holder doesn't need you to connect online.

The fact that you're forced to use another system solely for one game means they've forced you to fork out to avoid updates.

I said I would play on a system that wasn't connected to the internet, which there is a market for thanks to homebrew needing older firmwares to run. And feel free to think it's a victory for the publisher, but it's one more option to defend myself against the publisher that digital users don't have.

Around the Network
Azuren said:
Wyrdness said:

I said I would play on a system that wasn't connected to the internet, which there is a market for thanks to homebrew needing older firmwares to run. And feel free to think it's a victory for the publisher, but it's one more option to defend myself against the publisher that digital users don't have.

Well if were getting into homebrew territory than PC digital is safe. At that point you can just torrent any game you want. If they lock me out of my game, that's fine. I can go torrent my whole collection and move on with my life. I purchased the game so it's not like the developer lost anything. 

method114 said:
Azuren said:

Well if were getting into homebrew territory than PC digital is safe. At that point you can just torrent any game you want. If they lock me out of my game, that's fine. I can go torrent my whole collection and move on with my life. I purchased the game so it's not like the developer lost anything. 

I'm not referring to homebrew directly, I'm only implying that homebrew's existence has helped form a market of consoles that have not received any updates or patches. The method I'm referring to is still 100% legitimate and legal.

Azuren said:
Wyrdness said:

If you were to take a launch day PS4 that's never been updated and never connected to the internet, you won't be able to play most games on it. If you inserted Spiderman in the disc slot for example, the game would actually demand that you install a system update to play it, and the update would be provided on the Spiderman disc. It's impractical to have multiple disconnected PS4s to defend against drm but that's what your solution would require if you intended to play any game you wanted on the system.

Most people aren't aware of this little truth about Sony systems because most people update regularly and never update from a game disc. However, this is how it's been since the PSP.

4 ≈ One

I wasn't aware people actually cared about P.T. anymore or even still played the demo

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Dgc1808 said:
Azuren said:

If you were to take a launch day PS4 that's never been updated and never connected to the internet, you won't be able to play most games on it. If you inserted Spiderman in the disc slot for example, the game would actually demand that you install a system update to play it, and the update would be provided on the Spiderman disc. It's impractical to have multiple disconnected PS4s to defend against drm but that's what your solution would require if you intended to play any game you wanted on the system.

Most people aren't aware of this little truth about Sony systems because most people update regularly and never update from a game disc. However, this is how it's been since the PSP.

Yeah it's not just Sony systems either I know Nintendo has it as they've been employing that approach since the Wii and I think it's fair to assume MS likely have it on their systems as well as 360 had it.