By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - (UPDATE: FAKE NEWS) New patch reportedly makes Silent Hill P.T Unplayable

Azuren said:
vivster said:

This has nothing to do with digital. They could just as easily disable the ability to play it if it came on a disc. In fact it would probably be even easier.

The word you're looking for is "DRM".

Wrong. With a disc, I could always put it into a console without an internet connection, and thus no patch to disable the game. While you might be able to avoid the patch with a digital copy, once it has been patched it's done and cannot be undone save for finding someone with an unpatched copy.

It is a DRM thing, but all games are nowadays. The difference here is being able to still run a disc as opposed to just being screwed.

If you have an internet connection to patch a game on the hard drive you can just as well receive a patch on the console that tells the console to reject the disc. It's DRM and it can affect both the game and the console that plays the disc. A disc is not safer than a game on a harddrive if you have internet connected. And both are safe without updates applied. Now of course, you could say that you can easily flash back the console to a previous OS version but at that point what are we even talking about anymore. That's a lot more hoop jumping than should be necessary and it's all due to DRM. If the console was an open platform, games on the drive would be just as salvageable as the ones on disc.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
vivster said:
Azuren said:

Wrong. With a disc, I could always put it into a console without an internet connection, and thus no patch to disable the game. While you might be able to avoid the patch with a digital copy, once it has been patched it's done and cannot be undone save for finding someone with an unpatched copy.

It is a DRM thing, but all games are nowadays. The difference here is being able to still run a disc as opposed to just being screwed.

If you have an internet connection to patch a game on the hard drive you can just as well receive a patch on the console that tells the console to reject the disc. It's DRM and it can affect both the game and the console that plays the disc. A disc is not safer than a game on a harddrive if you have internet connected. And both are safe without updates applied. Now of course, you could say that you can easily flash back the console to a previous OS version but at that point what are we even talking about anymore. That's a lot more hoop jumping than should be necessary and it's all due to DRM. If the console was an open platform, games on the drive would be just as salvageable as the ones on disc.

Yeah, the implication of the bolded was an unpatched, unconnected console. If I have an unconnected console, I can run that disc no matter what. It is DRM, but a major part of DRM is keeping the physical media out of the user's hands so they can't just do whatever they want on an unpatched machine.

Good thing for proponents of DRM that people are so willing to forgo having a physical copy. The entire issue with P.T. is what drove me to do physical only in the first place. If P.T. was a disc, I would still be able to play it, even beyond this rumored patch if I was able to find a PS4 that wasn't connected to the internet.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Dammit Konami! If you don't want to fund games anymore, fine but don't take people's PT away.

KLAMarine said:
Dammit Konami! If you don't want to fund games anymore, fine but don't take people's PT away.

They haven't, it was a hoax.

https://www.shacknews.com/article/108272/konami-confirms-pt-bricking-and-removal-is-a-hoax

Admins/OP, should update the title as its misleading :D

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

Azuren said:
vivster said:

This has nothing to do with digital. They could just as easily disable the ability to play it if it came on a disc. In fact it would probably be even easier.

New patches for systems can be placed on newly released games with some new releases not even playing with out them, this was common during gen 7, buying physical copies and turning off your connection still doesn't avoid this unless you plan on not buying new games either.

Around the Network
Madword said:
KLAMarine said:

https://www.shacknews.com/article/108272/konami-confirms-pt-bricking-and-removal-is-a-hoax

Ah, good to hear.

KLAMarine said:
Madword said:

Ah, good to hear.

But I think the general direction of the conversation is interesting, i.e digital future and removal of products. I used to buy my music on Apple and fortunately I've moved over to amazon which at least give you MP3 versions of the files you can download and use elsewhere, while stuff I have purchased on apple have been removed and I can not longer get access to (and apple have done this with games also).... so I'm not a big fan of a digital future. I get most of my digital games off Gog as I can at least download the files myself and still use them.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

Madword said:
KLAMarine said:

Ah, good to hear.

But I think the general direction of the conversation is interesting, i.e digital future and removal of products. I used to buy my music on Apple and fortunately I've moved over to amazon which at least give you MP3 versions of the files you can download and use elsewhere, while stuff I have purchased on apple have been removed and I can not longer get access to (and apple have done this with games also).... so I'm not a big fan of a digital future. I get most of my digital games off Gog as I can at least download the files myself and still use them.

Same happened to me. I can't recall my Apple log-in info so there's stuff I can't access anymore. Screw 'em, buying my stuff elsewhere.

vivster said:
xl-klaudkil said:
That digital only gaming will be so awesome!

Except that shit's illegal because, unlike a digital download, a physical copy is by law yours to keep. If they tried taking away my physically-bought games (which is virtually all of them), they'd be in jail. Not the case with digital, and so shady shit like this is fair game. 

And on that note, #FucKonami. First they sell $10 save slots and now this shit, seriously? Are they trying to take the most hated company title away from EA?

I forgot I had this installed lol.