By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The human cost of Red Dead Redemption 2 (Eurogamer)

potato_hamster said:
DonFerrari said:

Yep, If I was ok signing a contract (no matter how much shitty it was) if the company followed it then I wouldn't sue even if I had the right. Still working conditions certainly could improve.

Suing also risks getting you blacklisted from the industry.

Sure, that is a point I made before

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
contestgamer said:
Mandalore76 said:

Nice attitude.  You are a credit to society.  I've never met any of the sick kids at the Shriner's Hospitals, or the helpless animals being helped by the ASPCA, that I donate money to every month from my paycheck.  But, that's because I choose not to live in ignorance.  Not caring if someone else's mental, or family life suffers just as long as you get your precious video game is a ridiculously callous and beyond selfish attitude to have.  Bravo.

If they dont like the work, they can quit. Anyone working on the video games I enjoy should be fully committed to doing whatever it takes to deliver me that 97 rated MC game.

You probably don't even see the irony in saying the people who were responsible for making your 97 rated game should quit.  Because, they are the people who made the game.  Not the studio with the crappy schedules, piss poor time management, and shitty business practices.  It was the people.

contestgamer said:
I hate the complaining about this. They should be worked like they are, because that's why their games are so good. I want to enjoy the very best game that's possible to make, and if there are a few casualties along the way to make that happen then that's just the nature of the beast. They're not forced to have this job and they can quit if they don't like it. People should be more concerned about getting the absolute very best product possible than about the working hours of strangers they'll never even meet. Strangers that can get another line of work if they dont like their current one.

Point made. They're strangers, it's their problem.

Then again, you're a stranger too. Why should anyone give two shits about your opinion?

I wonder how many people are posting about this on devices with components made in sweat shops. Stop pretending.

These people can walk out of this job anytime they want.

A lot of these manager types sound like the characters of their games. Absolute cunts.

Wonder if there is redemption for them.

Around the Network

Rockstar isn't the only one guilty, this happens at just about every AAA game production studio and the beauty of it all is that we as consumers don't have to care ...

contestgamer said:
I hate the complaining about this. They should be worked like they are, because that's why their games are so good. I want to enjoy the very best game that's possible to make, and if there are a few casualties along the way to make that happen then that's just the nature of the beast. They're not forced to have this job and they can quit if they don't like it. People should be more concerned about getting the absolute very best product possible than about the working hours of strangers they'll never even meet. Strangers that can get another line of work if they dont like their current one.

So you love the idea of humiliating the poor in their jobs since they can quit anytime if they don't like it as long as you can buy your merchandise. So much empathy!

ironmanDX said:
I wonder how many people are posting about this on devices with components made in sweat shops. Stop pretending.

These people can walk out of this job anytime they want.

The witcher 3 has many themes and hints of how terrible it is when the rich ane powerful squeeze the life out of people since they have no other choice but work to their cruel demands or end up homeless jobless and in even more misery. Geralt and Yen dont appprove of this, even if they aren't real.

Majin-Tenshinhan said:
ResilientFighter said:

Geralt has shown he is against this belief of yours where people should be used as cogs like the movie metropolis and discarded when they fall ill or dare complain. Most of the things you comment every week are things geralt wouldn't approve of if he was real. If i find it a bit ironic he is your avatar. What is your line of work if we may know?

Are you seriously using "your avatar wouldn't agree with that if they existed" as a counterargument against someone?

Not in an offensive manner at all, just that I find it strange someone who is far on one political spectrum would choose their avatar to be a character who is leaning in the opposite direction. If thats not allowed simply message me that rule i wasn't aware :)

Bisa said:

This quote speaks volumes and its something that really can't be said enough

"AAA games with a five-year dev cycle shouldn't have this horrendously hyper crunch at the end with people working 90+ hours a week. Surely down the road, as you're developing, something isn't quite right."

Also this part is disgusting

"For night shifts, UK employment laws state a person can only work eight out of every 24 hours, but Rockstar employees sign agreements to waive this condition."

It's not like they're being forced to sign these agreements. I've passed on many jobs because I didn't want to work unsocial hours.