By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - ps4 multitasking being a pain in the ass

So i'm new to the ps4 and seems like when i run a game for example BO4, party options mostly dont open up when hitting the ps button,( this also effects other options! but this is the most urgent one since it effects setting up voicechat etc.)

since i know the biggest ps fans are here anyone has any tips to get this running more stable?

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network

Looks like running safe mode and fixing library fixed it, thanks discord!

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

You’re going to have to clarify. When playing a game, and you want to access things like Party Chat, or Friends List, don’t simply tap the PS button. Instead, hold it down. This opens up a quick menu on the side of your screen that is designed to let you get into specific things like messages, friends, party, etc., so you don’t have to essentially pause your game by the going to the main home screen. It’s quick and easy, and never takes you out of the game you’re playing.

Edit: nevermind, you’re having a completely different issue. Glad you were able to fix it. 

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

kirby007 said:

Hmm perhaps I should try that. Sometimes it feels like have to hold down the ps button forever before the 'quick' menu pops up. Then it finally stutters into view. And that's on the pro. I'm gonna rebuild the library right now!

I've never encountered anything like this on my launch PS4 or PS4 Pro....and fixing the library? Lol. I have no idea what that means, but glad you found a solution to your troubles.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Around the Network
kirby007 said:

What do you mean be fixing the library?

I never had any issues multitasking and I'm also heavily playing BO4 so trying to understand this would help me if this ever happens to me later on.

My ps4 pro seems to run a lot better now with multi tasking, after rebuilding the library. It did mix up the order of my games and throw some things back out of folders. Yet double tap from game to web page and back is instant again and the quick menu also appears quick instead of taking forever.

To rebuild the library (if things feel slow)
- Hold the power button when turning the console on until you hear a second beep. (Turn it all the way off first, not standby)
- Then choose rebuild library from the safe menu that comes up.
It took 10 minutes on my pro in total.

I do heavily take and edit game play videos, have tons of conversations open and browse the web while things are loading or waiting for a race to start. I guess the directory structure gets fragmented over time.

I got around those problems by installing an SSD!

Granted, that's not the cheapest option in the world, but my Pro runs a lot faster now when it comes to multitasking stuff.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

OdinHades said:
I got around those problems by installing an SSD!

Granted, that's not the cheapest option in the world, but my Pro runs a lot faster now when it comes to multitasking stuff.

SSD's are awesome. I have had one in everyone of my PlayStation's since 2010. I have a 4TB in my Pro in the living room.

It always shocks me when I use other peoples systems just how sluggish they are, and the additional load times. I wish Microsoft would have taken a note from Sony and made Upgrading the XBO X drive accessible. 

That said, I still find things can be tuned up every now and then with a rebuild, even with the SSD.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Waitwaitwait....are you guys talking about a database rebuild? That must be what you mean. Unless it's called a library rebuild in certain countries. Weird countries were people wear hats on their feet.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."