By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - $2.25 Billion in revenue for Xbox Division in Third Quarter 2018

Barkley said:
The only console manufacturer who refuses to give shipment numbers or operating profit for their games division, makes their reports the least interesting.

Welcome to the future, where businesses are run with services and features rather than direct hardware sales.

Honestly why would MS announce figures these days that make no sense when they have GamePass, PlayAnywhere, Live, Digital and Streaming which is there main buisness model now?

Around the Network
Azzanation said:
Barkley said:
The only console manufacturer who refuses to give shipment numbers or operating profit for their games division, makes their reports the least interesting.

Welcome to the future, where businesses are run with services and features rather than direct hardware sales.

Honestly why would MS announce figures these days that make no sense when they have GamePass, PlayAnywhere, Live, Digital and Streaming which is there main buisness model now?

Yeah, why in the world would they reveal operating profits for Xbox. Such an insignificant part of a financial report

Azzanation said:
Barkley said:

You could use that argument for shipments, but they don't announce operating profit either.

And correct me if I'm wrong they also don't announce gamepass or gold subscribers. So yeah your argument doesn't work.

Meanwhile PlayStation announce operating profit, hardware shipments, ps+ subscribers, MAU's, game sales to consumers... Etc etc. 

Wait so if I have this right.. their gaming revenue only went up by 18%? lol the xbox one x is priced way higher than the s and their revenue despite that went up as much as Sony or Nintendo's would have for releasing a high profile game. This is so sad! The year prior xbox one was spiralling towards irrelevancy and yet with their latest console this is all the showing they had. No wonder they don't put out any info. The xbox believers will eat up anything that sounds remotely good this way.

I think the OP has gotten a bit mixed up with the info at hand and posted some numbers from Q3 2018 along side some of the Q1 2019 results that released yesterday.

This is the press release link you want to be reading for Q1 2019.

Around the Network
Barkley said:

I admit, the levels they go through of obscuring info for Xbox makes me not want to be a customer. If they don't want any transparency when it comes to that, then what else would they hide from you?

RJ_Sizzle said:
Barkley said:

I admit, the levels they go through of obscuring info for Xbox makes me not want to be a customer. If they don't want any transparency when it comes to that, then what else would they hide from you?

I need to ask because it is strange to me, but how does lack of unit sale information from financial statement make you not want to be their customer? Nintendo is the only one that breaks down titles/and consoles completely in their financial statement (even when they are failing), does that make them more trustworthy?

Acevil said:
RJ_Sizzle said:

I need to ask because it is strange to me, but how does lack of unit sale information from financial statement make you not want to be their customer? Nintendo is the only one that breaks down titles/and consoles completely in their financial statement (even when they are failing), does that make them more trustworthy?

Yeah I agree. Then not releasing financial information, shipments or subscriber numbers doesn't make me trust them less as a customer.

Barkley said:
Acevil said:

Yeah I agree. Then not releasing financial information, shipments or subscriber numbers doesn't make me trust them less as a customer.

Agreed. At most, it could make me trust them less as a share holder.

Not bad. The non gaming stuff is very impressive though. Most of the revenue growth was probably from xbox x sales. It's far more expensive then the base model. Will be hard to match the growth next year as there will be no hardware revisions released.

When do Sony and Nintendo reveal their results?