By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - $2.25 Billion in revenue for Xbox Division in Third Quarter 2018

Acevil said:
RJ_Sizzle said:

I admit, the levels they go through of obscuring info for Xbox makes me not want to be a customer. If they don't want any transparency when it comes to that, then what else would they hide from you?

I need to ask because it is strange to me, but how does lack of unit sale information from financial statement make you not want to be their customer? Nintendo is the only one that breaks down titles/and consoles completely in their financial statement (even when they are failing), does that make them more trustworthy?

Nintendo comes with their fair share of BS, but they're not shady when it comes to that. We knew Wii U was doing poorly. Xbox used to reveal their numbers but all of a sudden replaced the info with dubious revenue and assorted non-monetary figures.. It may not be a factor for most, but adoption could be a concern for some. Xbox One isn't even doing near as bad as the Wii U did, but they still choose to not only hide numbers from customers, but investors as well. Only because they're not doing as well as Sony with Playstation.

This is a trillion dollar company almost admitting shame when it comes to this, and it makes it look a bit worse when it should really be no big deal considering the overall money they rake in.

Around the Network
Azzanation said:
Barkley said:
The only console manufacturer who refuses to give shipment numbers or operating profit for their games division, makes their reports the least interesting.

Welcome to the future, where businesses are run with services and features rather than direct hardware sales.

Honestly why would MS announce figures these days that make no sense when they have GamePass, PlayAnywhere, Live, Digital and Streaming which is there main buisness model now?

That makes sense.

I'm about to snatch up this great Game Pass deal. 3 months for 9.99.

Barkley said:

You could use that argument for shipments, but they don't announce operating profit either.

And correct me if I'm wrong they also don't announce gamepass or gold subscribers. So yeah your argument doesn't work.

Meanwhile PlayStation announce operating profit, hardware shipments, ps+ subscribers, MAU's, game sales to consumers... Etc etc. 

Hmm lets see,

Does Steam announce how many Steam machines they sell each year, or there operation profits? If so please let me know.

Does Blizzard announce how much profits they make from there WoW memberships? I would also like to know.

You know what Valve, Blizzard and MS have in common? Digital distribution and memberships. Some companies love bragging about it and some like to keep it to themselves. In this case with MS with Xbox, its not about physical hardware and software sales to them anymore, its about Memberships, Streaming, Digital etc. There focus is on Azure Cloud which links majority of MS Apps together. They all add to the same goal. Sony and Nintendo don't have a Azure Cloud equivalent so they rely more on physical hardware and software sales. 

Also why would a company who is focusing there efforts into Streaming to any device and Play Anywhere which both lower hardware sales and Gamepass which gives you free access to most games as well as Digital sales which lowers software sales? It was all intended by the company to not show figures that will look bad in comparison to there competitors who focus more on the other.

Last edited by Azzanation - on 25 October 2018

Xbox division, not Xbox that made the revenue said in the title.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Mar1217 said:
Always a bummer to see them not giving a hint at their hardware shipments or overall numbers thus far.

You'll have to wait for them to win a NPD, when those happen they give a speech that they won the month and some other "humbling" speech.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Around the Network

Yes I want to know profits too.

However, ZhugeEX said earlier this year that 2017 was a profitable year for xbox. And going off the fact that the xbone is selling better this year than last, they are almost certainly making a profit this year too.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

Jigsawx1 said:

8.82 Billion is the profit.

and the Hardware income is 95% over the 1st quarter in 2018

That is incorrect. 

Mar1217 said:
DonFerrari said:

You'll have to wait for them to win a NPD, when those happen they give a speech that they won the month and some other "humbling" speech.

Probably not until next Xbox generation then :P

Well they had won a NPD like 1 year ago and celebrated if I'm not wrong (when X1X released, and they also had put how much more than PS4Pro they sold in USA at launch)... but people insist to say they not releasing the HW numbers have nothing to do with they being dead last.

flashfire926 said:

However, ZhugeEX said earlier this year that 2017 was a profitable year for xbox. And going off the fact that the xbone is selling better this year than last, they are almost certainly making a profit this year too.

Yep, there is little to no reason to believe X1 isn't being profitable, we just don't know by how much.

DonFerrari said:
Mar1217 said:

Probably not until next Xbox generation then :P

Well they had won a NPD like 1 year ago and celebrated if I'm not wrong (when X1X released, and they also had put how much more than PS4Pro they sold in USA at launch)... but people insist to say they not releasing the HW numbers have nothing to do with they being dead last.

flashfire926 said:

Yep, there is little to no reason to believe X1 isn't being profitable, we just don't know by how much.

Yes, I agree. I wish MS were more willing to give out info like profits and hardware sales.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

what is their profit on xbox sales? is there any?