By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Red Dead Redemption 2 Comes in 2 Disk

For the next gen, if BDXL price doesn't improve until there, staying with 50GB BDs for games is the best option (maybe they will only support such discs for 4K Movies). Just put a big ass hard drive even in the cheapest version (1-1.5TB+).

Around the Network
Cerebralbore101 said:
John2290 said:

You never own a game truly, it's in the fine print, you essentially pay for the right to play it. Regardless, What's the difference if you keep it on a set of HDD's for future purposes or on a disk in a box? Well, I as someone who has the code can download it onto multiple HDD's for future back up. Something I am in the process of doing with the games I want to keep the most. I'll actually have copies on two different HDD's, and one on my current HDD/Ps4 pro. All the while of having the original code available on the PSN for download if needed. You misunderstand digital, like I once did until my disk drive broke and it was the best thing that happened to me in gaming, I ended up saving ridiculous amounts of money, gained the ability to buy more games, life became ever a tad more convenient, I get big releases at midnight continuing the old tradition of midnight releases that is no longer possible here and regardless, it's actual midnight. All the while, having so much more protection to my games, safe from scratches, loss etc as well as have to need to bring it with me traveling. 

All the benefits aside, I'll never return to physical gaming for a disc and a box that is only a hassle at the end of the day and a burden to earths ecosystem with all that resources it takes to make and transport that physical media. 

On paper you don't really own your games, but in reality you do, because there's no way for them to enforce their fine print. The difference is being able to sell it if you so desire. I still have GCU until the very end of 2019, so brand new games for $60 only cost me $35 to $45. Used physical games usually go for about the same or less as a steam sale, except you don't have to wait for a sale.  If you're going to try to save money by going digital, you might as well go PC. I've been gaming 30 years and only once did I have a scratched disk. And that was from accidentally bumping my 360 (this was an issue with the 360 back in the day. Most consoles don't do that.). Disks have a low chance of being scratched these  due to playing off the HDD and only using the disk to check and make sure you own it. 

The environmental impact is about as much a bottle of soda, so no worries there. 

Edit: For people going digital-only PC is just better. GoG let's you own your games, no questions asked. If I wanted to sell any gog games I'd just pull the files from my computer, no problem since there's no DRM on them. Prices are better for digital-only games, on PC, due to console prices always having to be the same as physical stores (Stores throw a fit if the game is sold cheaper digitally than it is at retail). And if you're going to let publishers revoke your ownership of a game, then you might as well get the version that has slightly better graphics. 

The fine print's main purpose is to stop people being able to claim that since they own  the game, the code on the disc is theirs to do with however  they wish.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

fine, whatever they have to do, better than game streaming.

Blu-Ray XL is only expensive because it isn't mass produced. If PS5 and Xbox Two start to use it, prices will fall quickly.

OdinHades said:
I don't think the PS5 will have an optical drive at all. The problem isn't so much capacity, but more the slow ass speeds of those drives. Copying 200 GB would take ages! Ain't nobody got time for that! Internet speeds will only increase until then, so digital is the way to go. Of course you can't ignore sales at local stores, so I think we will be buying codes in nice packages next gen, just like we already do on PC. You punch that code from the store into the PS Store and download your game and that's that. That people won't be able to sell used games is just a nice little bonus for Sony. They want things to be that way. They want it so bad, you wouldn't believe it, but the time wasn't ready back when the PS4 launched. But I think we will be there soon. People also used to refuse steam and now they all love it and don't buy games if they aren't on Steam and shit. It will come to our beloved consoles, just wait.

I know people don't want to hear it, but the days of physical media for games are numbered. Oh, and let's also hope that the PS5 comes with an SSD right out of the box. HDDs don't have a place for games in 2020. They're just too friggin' slow.

Ok, you can hate me now. =P

I sure hope the next Xbox will have an optical drive cause how else would you be able to get your physical BC games to work?
You'd need to buy everything anew.

Around the Network
Barozi said:
[...]

I sure hope the next Xbox will have an optical drive cause how else would you be able to get your physical BC games to work?
You'd need to buy everything anew.

They can just offer an external drive for 30 bucks or something for the few people who actually use that feature. Or better yet, they just let the new Xbox use standard external drives. It has USB, it has Windows, that's all it needs.

So I don't really see a problem there.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.