By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Red Dead Redemption 2 Comes in 2 Disk

John2290 said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Yep, but the main reason PS4 is my main system is the ability to own my own games. Without that, I'd regulate it to a secondary system for exclusives. 

You never own a game truly, it's in the fine print, you essentially pay for the right to play it. Regardless, What's the difference if you keep it on a set of HDD's for future purposes or on a disk in a box? Well, I as someone who has the code can download it onto multiple HDD's for future back up. Something I am in the process of doing with the games I want to keep the most. I'll actually have copies on two different HDD's, and one on my current HDD/Ps4 pro. All the while of having the original code available on the PSN for download if needed. You misunderstand digital, like I once did until my disk drive broke and it was the best thing that happened to me in gaming, I ended up saving ridiculous amounts of money, gained the ability to buy more games, life became ever a tad more convenient, I get big releases at midnight continuing the old tradition of midnight releases that is no longer possible here and regardless, it's actual midnight. All the while, having so much more protection to my games, safe from scratches, loss etc as well as have to need to bring it with me traveling. 

All the benefits aside, I'll never return to physical gaming for a disc and a box that is only a hassle at the end of the day and a burden to earths ecosystem with all that resources it takes to make and transport that physical media. 

I went from physical to digital after Wii U. It was mostly a Wii U-only experience though. I guess the only regret I have was buying games that I didn't like and if it was physical I could've sold them. Except that, yes digital games are so comfy.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

Around the Network
John2290 said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Yep, but the main reason PS4 is my main system is the ability to own my own games. Without that, I'd regulate it to a secondary system for exclusives. 

You never own a game truly, it's in the fine print, you essentially pay for the right to play it. Regardless, What's the difference if you keep it on a set of HDD's for future purposes or on a disk in a box? Well, I as someone who has the code can download it onto multiple HDD's for future back up. Something I am in the process of doing with the games I want to keep the most. I'll actually have copies on two different HDD's, and one on my current HDD/Ps4 pro. All the while of having the original code available on the PSN for download if needed. You misunderstand digital, like I once did until my disk drive broke and it was the best thing that happened to me in gaming, I ended up saving ridiculous amounts of money, gained the ability to buy more games, life became ever a tad more convenient, I get big releases at midnight continuing the old tradition of midnight releases that is no longer possible here and regardless, it's actual midnight. All the while, having so much more protection to my games, safe from scratches, loss etc as well as have to need to bring it with me traveling. 

All the benefits aside, I'll never return to physical gaming for a disc and a box that is only a hassle at the end of the day and a burden to earths ecosystem with all that resources it takes to make and transport that physical media. 

On paper you don't really own your games, but in reality you do, because there's no way for them to enforce their fine print. The difference is being able to sell it if you so desire. I still have GCU until the very end of 2019, so brand new games for $60 only cost me $35 to $45. Used physical games usually go for about the same or less as a steam sale, except you don't have to wait for a sale.  If you're going to try to save money by going digital, you might as well go PC. I've been gaming 30 years and only once did I have a scratched disk. And that was from accidentally bumping my 360 (this was an issue with the 360 back in the day. Most consoles don't do that.). Disks have a low chance of being scratched these  due to playing off the HDD and only using the disk to check and make sure you own it. 

The environmental impact is about as much a bottle of soda, so no worries there. 

Edit: For people going digital-only PC is just better. GoG let's you own your games, no questions asked. If I wanted to sell any gog games I'd just pull the files from my computer, no problem since there's no DRM on them. Prices are better for digital-only games, on PC, due to console prices always having to be the same as physical stores (Stores throw a fit if the game is sold cheaper digitally than it is at retail). And if you're going to let publishers revoke your ownership of a game, then you might as well get the version that has slightly better graphics. 

Last edited by Cerebralbore101 - on 24 October 2018

SvennoJ said:
Kerotan said:
A great advertisement for going digital. This will surely push a certain percentage to download it now rather then physical.

Rather the opposite, downloading 100GB is out of my reach with a monthly data cap.

I wish we could back to playing from disk. I can have less and less games going without the hdd getting full. Read and seek speeds are the problem though with physical and there doesn't seem to be any faster affordable alternative on the horizon. 100GB cartridges will not be cheap either.

Depends where you live. I'm in Ireland and I've no data cap. 

Kerotan said:
SvennoJ said:

Rather the opposite, downloading 100GB is out of my reach with a monthly data cap.

I wish we could back to playing from disk. I can have less and less games going without the hdd getting full. Read and seek speeds are the problem though with physical and there doesn't seem to be any faster affordable alternative on the horizon. 100GB cartridges will not be cheap either.

Even here in Brazil, most internet sevices for home have no data cap, only internet deals for mobile devices have this. If there were data caps for home internet all over the world, Twitch, Netflix as well as other streaming services would be inviable to use. Only an afternoon of Netflix or Twitch session would eat all your montly data.

Last edited by CuCabeludo - on 24 October 2018

CuCabeludo said:
Kerotan said:

Even here in Brazil, most internet sevices for home have no data cap, only internet deals for mobile devices have this. If there were data caps for home internet all over the world, Twitch, Netflix as well as other streaming services would be inviable to use. Only an afternoon of Netflix or Twitch session would eat all your montly data.

Same in Ireland. So are Americans getting ripped off by their providers? 

Around the Network
CuCabeludo said:
Kerotan said:

It's 500GB monthly, plenty for Nextflix, You tube and reasonable size patches. However taking 20% of that for one game download is a bit much. Currently there's still 155GB left for the next 9 days while we average about 15GB daily. A 100 GB download will not fit.

15GB is about 5 hours of Netflix in HD. It saves money not to pay for 4K Netflix as we can't stream that anyway :)

Besides that, disc install is still faster and I don't have to leave the console on all night to download the game. Plus I'm one of those old sobs that likes to see all my good games sitting on a shelf in my man cave. I'll probably pick up Astrobot as well to put on the shelf although I've already platted the digital version. It's too good to sit on a hdd.

Last edited by SvennoJ - on 24 October 2018

Second disc is just a physical unlock code basically. I'll wait till this is $20 before thinking of picking it up personally.

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

SvennoJ said:
CuCabeludo said:

It's 500GB monthly, plenty for Nextflix, You tube and reasonable size patches. However taking 20% of that for one game download is a bit much. Currently there's still 155GB left for the next 9 days while we average about 15GB daily. A 100 GB download will not fit.

15GB is about 5 hours of Netflix in HD. It saves money not to pay for 4K Netflix as we can't stream that anyway :)

Besides that, disc install is still faster and I don't have to leave the console on all night to download the game. Plus I'm one of those old sobs that likes to see all my good games sitting on a shelf in my man cave. I'll probably pick up Astrobot as well to put on the shelf although I've already platted the digital version. It's too good to sit on a hdd.

The fact you have to monitor Internet usage is just crazy. I could download 10TB worth of games and it wouldn't matter lol

CuCabeludo said:
Imagine the next GTA game, fully developed for the next gen platforms, blowing the 200GB barrier easily.

It was fun last gen, I started with a Xbox 360 that came with a memory card that had 250 mb free space. It was enough because most downloadable games were basically only mb's in size, in less than a year I had to upgrade to a 20 GB one because they allowed games that were maximum 250 mb in size on the XBLA store and I purchased a lot of them, another few years later and I had to upgrade to a  120 GB one because they let retail games to be downloaded to your HD so a 20 GB was nothing.  They also release a 250 GB HD but we basically went from a 250 MB to a 250 GB HD in a matter of 5-7 years.   And now I am sitting here a couple of years later with a 4TB HD.    4K assets will probably mean I will have a 20TB in five years =p.

shikamaru317 said:
tripenfall said:
Quad layer 128GB Blu Ray discs for PS5?

Doubtful, and even if the PS5 drive supports blu-ray XL, it doesn't mean that publishers will use it. A single 128 GB blu-ray costs like 3.5x more than a 50 GB blu-ray right now, so you can get 150 GB of storage for a lower price by going with multiple 50 GB discs. If publishers go with blu-ray XL next gen the price of physical games will most likely go above $60 for the first time in over 15 years, which would piss off alot of gamers. Far more likely that publishers will stick with dual layer blu-rays, which will also incentivize people to switch to digital, which the publishers want because they have a higher profit margin on digital sales than on physical sales. 

Good point.

Also the main cost saving is that the hardware won't need the Quad layer disc trays in them - they cost a small fortune. Might be an option for PS6 but more likely by then they console will be digital only with many games just streaming to the console.