By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Tekken 7 Sells Over 3m Copies, Series Total: Over 47m

ResilientFighter said:
Replicant said:

Bold 1: With "Franchise peaked with Tekken 3 (8.3 mill)" I was strictly referring to sales. Though looking up their metacritic, I see that Tekken 3 was the critical peak as well with 96/100 against Tekken 4's 79/100 and Tekken 5's 88/100.

Bold 2: Tekken 4 and 5 sold less than Tekken 3. Whether they sold more than Tekken 6 and 7 doesn't change that. The franchise was declining in sales after Tekken 3 even with Tekken 4 and 5 being exclusives as well.

Look, you're right in that it's possible for a game to benefit from exclusivity when the platform holder helps to pay for huge marketing campaigns that creates extra buzz and hype. Though with fighting games in general declining in sales, I couldn't imagine Sony being willing to pay a huge amount of money to market an exclusive Tekken 6. For that reason, I think it's reasonable to think that Tekken (as well as many other IPs) benefited from going multiplat.

According to VGC, Tekken 6 (4.39 mill) also sold more than Tekken 4 (3.44 mill) and Tekken 5 (3.87). Tekken 7 selling over 3 mill in less than a year might do the same.

Tekken 5 was amazing and it sold very well much more than the xbox copies of tekken 6 tag 2 and tekken 7

The point im making is i believe tekken would have sold these 3 million and maybe more if it was a Ps4 exclusive and they would have had support economically like street fighter V did by not going to the xbox one so even more rewards. Shame anyway since I hear the port made for xbox one was not done well and has a resolution under 800p 

Let's see if your theory makes sense : 

According to VGC (very outdated numbers) PS4 accounts for about 81% of sales so that means out of the 3 million copies sold 2.43m are on PS4 and 570k were sold on Xbox One or PC.

Your theory states that somehow more than 570k people are petty enough to not buy a title they want, because it's not available exclusively on their favorite platform (PS4).  Again, not because it's not on PS4 but because the title is available somewhere else too. I have no doubt such irrational people do exist but not in a such a large number so I'm pretty sure the move to go multiplat has been a positive one.

Signature goes here!

Around the Network
TruckOSaurus said:
ResilientFighter said:

Tekken 5 was amazing and it sold very well much more than the xbox copies of tekken 6 tag 2 and tekken 7

The point im making is i believe tekken would have sold these 3 million and maybe more if it was a Ps4 exclusive and they would have had support economically like street fighter V did by not going to the xbox one so even more rewards. Shame anyway since I hear the port made for xbox one was not done well and has a resolution under 800p 

According to VGC (very outdated numbers) PS4 accounts for about 81% of sales so that means out of the 3 million copies sold 2.43m are on PS4 and 570k were sold on Xbox One or PC.

Your theory states that somehow more than 570k people are petty enough to not buy a title they want, because it's not available exclusively on their favorite platform (PS4).  Again, not because it's not on PS4 but because the title is available somewhere else too. I have no doubt such irrational people do exist but not in a such a large number so I'm pretty sure the move to go multiplat has been a positive one.

Yeah thats your opinion. Exclusive games sell consoles just check nintendo and PlayStation vs xbox in the monthly chart. If sony had no exclusive games the xbox one x would probably be outselling the ps4 at the moment.

ResilientFighter said:
TruckOSaurus said:

Yeah thats your opinion. Exclusive games sell consoles just check nintendo and PlayStation vs xbox in the monthly chart. If sony had no exclusive games the xbox one x would probably be outselling the ps4 at the moment.

You realize that exclusive games selling consoles does not mean that people who own consoles only buy games because they are exclusive... right?

Let me give you an example:  Spider-Man might sell PS4s, but someone who isn't interested in Spider-Man isn't buying it strictly because its exclusive to PS4.  People buy consoles to play games they can't play elsewhere.  Then when people have multiple consoles they buy the games based on any and/or all of the following reasons (generally): 1. their friends are playing it on Console A.  2. It runs better on Console B.  or 3. They simply like playing on Console C the best so they buy most of their games there.

The number of people boycotting a game they like because the developer had the "audacity" to try to introduce it to a new audience of single-console players is much, much smaller than you seem to think it is.  If it weren't, no one would ever branch away from being exclusive.

Vodacixi said:
They screwed up the Story Mode real bad and introduced numerous characters (even some historical ones as Lei Wulong and Anna Williams) as paid DLC in spite of Harada saying like two years ago that if he ever put paid DLC on his games he would quit Bandai Namco.

For the likes of me, I wish it hadn't passed the 1 million milestone. This game deserved to bomb hard.

This was indeed very upsetting. Seeing as Harada CLEARLY said he would not make any legacy characters paid DLC. Heck even when they added characters to TTT2 they were free. So this was definitely cringe worthy smh.

OT:

Great sales! For a great game.

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

ResilientFighter said:
TruckOSaurus said:

Never said exclusive don't sell consoles. I said the amount of people who will refrain from buying a game available on their console of choice because it's also available on other system is very small.

Signature goes here!