By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Tekken 7 Sells Over 3m Copies, Series Total: Over 47m

Replicant said:
ResilientFighter said:
Series never should have stopped being a PS exclusive. They would have made more moneyy from diehard sony fans alone than spreading out angering some of them. The term PS exclusive does carry weight even if people say it doesn't

Nah, man. Franchise peaked with Tekken 3 (8.3 mill) but went downhill already with Tekken 4 and Tekken 5 which were also exclusive (to the PS2).

The franchise was declining in sales and only benefited from going multiplat.

What?? Tekken 4 and 5 were highly praised and sold waaay more than Tekken 6 and 7 that were on xbox and ps 

Around the Network
Replicant said:
ResilientFighter said:
Series never should have stopped being a PS exclusive. They would have made more moneyy from diehard sony fans alone than spreading out angering some of them. The term PS exclusive does carry weight even if people say it doesn't

Nah, man. Franchise peaked with Tekken 3 (8.3 mill) but went downhill already with Tekken 4 and Tekken 5 which were also exclusive (to the PS2).

Sitting in tenth place at 1.3 million is the most successful non PlayStation version of tekken which was T6 the other versions of tekken on xbox sold miserably compared to the PlayStation versions even tekken 7 the difference is like 5 to 1

ResilientFighter said:
Replicant said:

What?? Tekken 4 and 5 were highly praised (1) and sold waaay more than Tekken 6 and 7 (2) that were on xbox and ps 

Bold 1: With "Franchise peaked with Tekken 3 (8.3 mill)" I was strictly referring to sales. Though looking up their metacritic, I see that Tekken 3 was the critical peak as well with 96/100 against Tekken 4's 79/100 and Tekken 5's 88/100.

Bold 2: Tekken 4 and 5 sold less than Tekken 3. Whether they sold more than Tekken 6 and 7 doesn't change that. The franchise was declining in sales after Tekken 3 even with Tekken 4 and 5 being exclusives as well.

Look, you're right in that it's possible for a game to benefit from exclusivity when the platform holder helps to pay for huge marketing campaigns that creates extra buzz and hype. Though with fighting games in general declining in sales, I couldn't imagine Sony being willing to pay a huge amount of money to market an exclusive Tekken 6. For that reason, I think it's reasonable to think that Tekken (as well as many other IPs) benefited from going multiplat.

According to VGC, Tekken 6 (4.39 mill) also sold more than Tekken 4 (3.44 mill) and Tekken 5 (3.87). Tekken 7 selling over 3 mill in less than a year might do the same.

Replicant said:
ResilientFighter said:

What?? Tekken 4 and 5 were highly praised (1) and sold waaay more than Tekken 6 and 7 (2) that were on xbox and ps 

Bold 1: With "Franchise peaked with Tekken 3 (8.3 mill)" I was strictly referring to sales. Though looking up their metacritic, I see that Tekken 3 was the critical peak as well with 96/100 against Tekken 4's 79/100 and Tekken 5's 88/100.

Bold 2: Tekken 4 and 5 sold less than Tekken 3. Whether they sold more than Tekken 6 and 7 doesn't change that. The franchise was declining in sales after Tekken 3 even with Tekken 4 and 5 being exclusives as well.

Look, you're right in that it's possible for a game to benefit from exclusivity when the platform holder helps to pay for huge marketing campaigns that creates extra buzz and hype. Though with fighting games in general declining in sales, I couldn't imagine Sony being willing to pay a huge amount of money to market an exclusive Tekken 6. For that reason, I think it's reasonable to think that Tekken (as well as many other IPs) benefited from going multiplat.

According to VGC, Tekken 6 (4.39 mill) also sold more than Tekken 4 (3.44 mill) and Tekken 5 (3.87). Tekken 7 selling over 3 mill in less than a year might do the same.

Tekken 5 was amazing and it sold very well much more than the xbox copies of tekken 6 tag 2 and tekken 7

The point im making is i believe tekken would have sold these 3 million and maybe more if it was a Ps4 exclusive and they would have had support economically like street fighter V did by not going to the xbox one so even more rewards. Shame anyway since I hear the port made for xbox one was not done well and has a resolution under 800p 

Carl said:
That's fantastic to see. Outsold Street Fighter V, hasn't it?

Based on VGChartz, it sold more than SFV on PS4 alone and in less time.

But SFV was ridiculous. It launched incomplete for $60, it takes too long to unlock things, the story mode was mediocre and the season passes are over priced time savers. All of this combined made SFV a disaster and gross use of micro transactions.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
Replicant said:
ResilientFighter said:

Its also worth noting we can't point to a single fighting game doing well simply because its exclusive. The best selling on the platform are not exclusive.

The X1 and PC combined are likely a significant number of additional sales. No reason to skip them if exclusivity hasn't proven to help sales.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

ResilientFighter said: 
1: Tekken 5 was amazing and it sold very well much more than the xbox copies of tekken 6 tag 2 and tekken 7

2: The point im making is i believe tekken would have sold these 3 million and maybe more if it was a Ps4 exclusive and they would have had support economically like street fighter V did by not going to the xbox one so even more rewards. Shame anyway since I hear the port made for xbox one was not done well and has a resolution under 800p 

1: That still doesn't mean that Tekken 6 and 7 would've sold more if they would've been exclusives.

2: If we assume that you're right in that Tekken 6 and 7 would've sold as much as PS3 and PS4 exclusives respectively, that still doesn't mean that Sony would've footed the bill for an exclusive game in a declining genre.

Kyuu said: 
1: Vgchartz' numbers aren't that reliable. Pretty sure I heard a while ago of Tekken 5 exceeding 6 million on PS2 alone. T5DR (PSP) added another 2.5M~, and T5DR:Online (PS3) likely sold a minimum of 500k for a total of 9 million+ (Yes, Tekken 5 was dang huge!)

It should also be noted that PS2 got three significant new Tekken entries, effectively hurting the sales potential/legs of Tekken Tag Tournament (a spin-off inflated by launch) and Tekken 4 (largely considered a disappointment) in favor of a bigger combined total.

VGC has the series estimated at 40 million physical copies sold to consumers; that's 7 million below the official numbers (shipped+digital). Tekken 3 is undertracked by 1.4M and Tekken 5 (PS2) by at least 2.1M, leaving about 3.5M across other entries and digital+shipments.

2: With that being said, I don't think Tekken 7 is the kind of game that would sell better as a Sony exclusive through exclusivity-hype/fanboyism.

1: Oh, I didn't know Tekken 5 sold that much outside of PS2. In some way though, that just shows that Tekken benefits from releasing on more platforms. I guess the physical PSP and digital PSP/Vita version of Tekken 6 would add some sales but certainly not enough to surpass 9 mill.

2: Yeah, and that's the point I'm trying to make.

Mr Puggsly said: 
Its also worth noting we can't point to a single fighting game doing well simply because its exclusive. The best selling on the platform are not exclusive.

The X1 and PC combined are likely a significant number of additional sales. No reason to skip them if exclusivity hasn't proven to help sales.

Bold: Exactly. I think a lot of 3rd party games would benefit from going multiplat and I do think 3rd parties are beginning to see that.

Some recent examples are:
Monster Hunter World (PS4, XB1, PC)
Dragon Quest XI (PS4, 3DS, Switch, PC)
Persona 6 (at least its hinted to be multiplat)
Metal Gear Solid V (PS4, XB1, PC, PS3, XB360)
Digimon Survive (PS4, XB1, Switch, PC)
Nier Automata (PS4, XB1, PC)
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy (PS4, XB1, Switch, 3DS, PC)
Dead Rising 4 (PS4, XB1, PC)
Trials Rising (PS4, XB1, Switch, PC)
Titanfall 2 (PS4, XB1, PC)
Metro Exodus (PS4, XB1, PC)
Serious Sam 4 (PS4, XB1, PC)

Last edited by Replicant - on 21 October 2018

Kyuu said:
Replicant said:

Vgchartz' numbers aren't that reliable. Pretty sure I heard a while ago of Tekken 5 exceeding 6 million on PS2 alone. T5DR (PSP) added another 2.5M~, and T5DR:Online (PS3) likely sold a minimum of 500k for a total of 9 million+ (Yes, Tekken 5 was dang huge!)

It should also be noted that PS2 got three significant new Tekken entries, effectively hurting the sales potential/legs of Tekken Tag Tournament (a spin-off inflated by launch) and Tekken 4 (largely considered a disappointment) in favor of a bigger combined total.

VGC has the series estimated at 40 million physical copies sold to consumers; that's 7 million below the official numbers (shipped+digital). Tekken 3 is undertracked by 1.4M and Tekken 5 (PS2) by at least 2.1M, leaving about 3.5M across other entries and digital+shipments.

With that being said, I don't think Tekken 7 is the kind of game that would sell better as a Sony exclusive through exclusivity-hype/fanboyism.

thanks for your input bro :)

I finally picked up a copy, so I've added one to that total. Woot.

ResilientFighter said:
Kyuu said:

Vgchartz' numbers aren't that reliable. Pretty sure I heard a while ago of Tekken 5 exceeding 6 million on PS2 alone. T5DR (PSP) added another 2.5M~, and T5DR:Online (PS3) likely sold a minimum of 500k for a total of 9 million+ (Yes, Tekken 5 was dang huge!)

With that being said, I don't think Tekken 7 is the kind of game that would sell better as a Sony exclusive through exclusivity-hype/fanboyism.

thanks for your input bro :)

He's saying the opposite of you with bold.