By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony responsible for 2.7% of all Internet traffic

Sony really doing well in that digital market. Almost 3% of all Internet traffic WW is from Sony. Netflix hugely dominant at 15% and YouTube very impressive at 11%. Prime video at 3.7% and all others combined 34%. Sony must be happy. 

https://www.statista.com/chart/15692/distribution-of-global-downstream-traffic/

Around the Network

That's kind of crazy, I assume as other game services weren't included they're lower. Which be surprising for steam, not for the other consoles though.

Ka-pi96 said:

hmm, seems to be a bit of a misleading title. Makes it sound like 15% of internet users use Netflix or that 15% of time spent on the internet is on Netflix or something but the stats are only for mbs of data which is completely different. It would be nice if things could be labelled accurately rather than twisted to make things sound better or worse than they actually are, but with humanity the way it is there's not much chance of that ever happening

Internet Traffic is measured in amount of data, I don't find it misleading and certainly not twisted.

Ka-pi96 said:

hmm, seems to be a bit of a misleading title. Makes it sound like 15% of internet users use Netflix or that 15% of time spent on the internet is on Netflix or something but the stats are only for mbs of data which is completely different. It would be nice if things could be labelled accurately rather than twisted to make things sound better or worse than they actually are, but with humanity the way it is there's not much chance of that ever happening

only misleading if you don't know the meaning of words

always seeing conspiracies everywhere... that is, as well, the way humanity is xD

Wow. How in the world is Valve/Steam not in this?

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:

I don't really find it misleading, but I understand what you're saying.  It would be interesting to also see the stats for what websites get significant amounts of  people's time, rather than just amount of data use. Obviously, data use is going to skew towards data-intensive activities like streaming video and downloading gigantic video game files.

VAMatt said:
Ka-pi96 said:

I don't really find it misleading, but I understand what you're saying.  It would be interesting to also see the stats for what websites get significant amounts of  people's time, rather than just amount of data use. Obviously, data use is going to skew towards data-intensive activities like streaming video and downloading gigantic video game files.

how would you measure that? by self reporting?

"I swear, I totally didn't spend 2 hours on youPr0n yesterday" :D

Once the data is loaded, no one can tell how long of your personal time you spend looking at whatever website. It has to be measured by volume of data being transfered

Excuse me Sir, an honest question: Are you in love with the company?

Barkley said:

That's kind of crazy, I assume as other game services weren't included they're lower. Which be surprising for steam, not for the other consoles though.

If it includes the mandatory installation of all physical media in addition to digital, I'm not surprised that 70 million PS4's would generate that high of download traffic.

Mandalore76 said:
Barkley said:

If it includes the mandatory installation of all physical media in addition to digital, I'm not surprised that 70 million PS4's would generate that high of download traffic.

Installing data from a disc isn't internet traffic.