By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why is the Switch still not getting big games from 3rd parties? October edition

Conina said:
DonFerrari said:

So you think it was just lazyness? And much success would it make on very low resolution plus low fps and low texture and other IQ elements.

Not lazyness, other priorities. I'm sure it will be ported to Switch eventually, probably after they sold ports of RE 0, 4, 5 and 6 on Switch.

Resident Evil Revelations was quite successful on 3DS with much lower resolution and textures an other IQ elements not so long ago.

3DS is quite a different machine than Switch. Still do you buy in on the talk that the biggest roadblock for AAA ports is the cartridge size?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:

Still do you buy in on the talk that the biggest roadblock for AAA ports is the cartridge size?

No, anything that runs with only 30 fps on PS4 won't be easy to port to Switch.

But Resident Evil 7 runs with solid 1080p/60fps even on base PS4 (and 90 fps in PSVR mode) : https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-resident-evil-7-face-off

That should give enough headroom for a 720p/30fps Switch version

Conina's right, RE7 is less demanding than Doom and Wolfenstein II and those were ported to Switch. There's no good reason why RE7 could not be ported to Switch.

curl-6 said:

Conina's right, RE7 is less demanding than Doom and Wolfenstein II and those were ported to Switch. There's no good reason why RE7 could not be ported to Switch.

Hes also right that they probably want to cash in on the easy ports like RE1/0/4 first before doing one that requires effort.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
curl-6 said:

Hes also right that they probably want to cash in on the easy ports like RE1/0/4 first before doing one that requires effort.

RE5 too is practically a given as there's already a version for the Shield TV which shares Switch's Tegra X1 chipset. At this point though I don't expect them to ever actually port RE7, they've made it clear over the past year and a half that they're only willing to put in the absolute bare minimum of effort when it comes to Switch.

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
Miyamotoo said:

If we talking about 32GB carts, we probably talking around $10 price difference instead of $5, so on 1m sold games we talking around $10m less profit. Profit matters in any case, it would main reason why they would released game on first place on Switch and they would go for highest profit. Saying that, maybe game is coming to Switch in any case but they are waiting or Nintendo promised them cheaper prices of 32GB carts next year, or something similar, only time will tell.

I find it hard to believe they have put all the work and stopped with it finished due to it. If you said they didn't even start developing because they will wait for better margins it would make more sense.

I'm having some difficulty following this conversation. Are you saying that Rockstar had completed developing a GTA V Switch port unbeknownst to anyone?

Conina said:
DonFerrari said:

Still do you buy in on the talk that the biggest roadblock for AAA ports is the cartridge size?

But Resident Evil 7 runs with solid 1080p/60fps even on base PS4 (and 90 fps in PSVR mode) : https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-resident-evil-7-face-off

Yep they could, visual on RE7 is quite subpar so it's easy to see it isn't as demanding as a regular flahship game. But that still proves quite easily that cartridge size isn't the deterrent.

Megiddo said:
DonFerrari said:

I find it hard to believe they have put all the work and stopped with it finished due to it. If you said they didn't even start developing because they will wait for better margins it would make more sense.

I'm having some difficulty following this conversation. Are you saying that Rockstar had completed developing a GTA V Switch port unbeknownst to anyone?

That is what he is claiming, and they only didn't release because they are waiting for cartrdige price to drop.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

DonFerrari said:
Miyamotoo said:

I cant open that link, about what exactly game we talking, because I know that any standard game and regular package didnt had price point above $60 last few gens. And like I wrote, hardly that Nintendo and R* would like to have regular and cheapest option be $70 price point for some game.

Its not even worse, its much more worse from devs point of few, they didnt had any problem with size and cost of disks on Wii U, they have that problem on Switch with Switch carts.

Yeah, I will think that rumor that comes from very reliable and  several different sources have high chances be accurate, actualy when its fact that Switch carts have problem with size and higher costs compared to BD disks for Ps4/XB1. But I gave you possible answers on all possibiletes you mentioned, you cant know whats true, while fact is there is problem with size and cost of carts in any case.

You talking about tottaly different things, we talking about 3rd party support for Nintendo platform, and possible main GTA game for Nintendo platform, when last time Nintendo platform had main GTA game? You can bet that if R* want to release GTAV on Switch they want to have maximase profit not to loss $10 of clear profit per game.

I think that definitely Switch cart size and cost in some way effecting in any case of possibility of releasing GTAV on Switch. Again, we dont have details about possibility of GTAV on Switch and what exactly is going on, we can only assume.

What that ARK dev said gave very clear picture problem they having with size and cost of carts, and we talking about game that takes around 20-23GB on PS4 and they had problem fiting game on 16GB card for Switch. GTAV on PS4 takes more than 55GB. RE7 don't have anything with this, its just streamed game, and Capcom don't even want to use physical copies for plenty of their games that they released on Switch in any case.

So on one side have dev that work with Switch hardware and releasing game for it, and on other side drunk dev talking about Switch hardware before it wasnt even released and didnt work with it at all!? Yeah, tough call who to belive.

It's a VGC link for the TitanFall 2. The dev talking about why they wouldn't port their game to Switch and why other devs probably wouldn't. It have nothing to do with media size (and you even proved that yourself with WiiU, and even Wii that had DVD equal as X360).

Ark is a game that can hardly say is AAA and pushing PS4 and X1 to the limit to validate that size would be biggest challenge, even more for a game that had last gen version on sizes that are feasible for Switch as said.

RE7 can't run on Switch and that wasn't due to size file.

But you do realise that TitanFall 2 dev was drunk when was saying that, didn't work with Switch hardware at all and did not released any game for Switch, right? While on other hand we having dev that releasing game for Switch game next month and talking about specifics about Switch. Also we know that Switch carts have storage/price problem even before that, why some same games on Switch are more expansive than they are on PS4/XB1, why on Switch you have plenty of games that on plenty of markets released only like digital downloads compared to same games on PS4/XB1 that have physical copy too, why so many bigger 3rd party games have additional download with psychical copywhy no one using 32GB carts on Switch? We talking about facts there.

Its not AAA game, but its quite demanding and bigger project in any case.

If Capcom anything proven with their Switch support is that they are very cheap with their support and using Switch carts, for games like RE Revelations and Okami HD they didnt even bother to release physical copies in Europe or in West, MegaMan collection is partially on cart, while other half of games you need to download and they used 2GB cart (I think). If you trying to imply that Switch cant run RE7 you are tottaly wrong, RE7 runs on base XB1 at lock 1080p and 60 FPS, and even runs on PS4 VR very good, its not demanding game at all, while for instance Doom on XB1 runs most of time at 830p and FPS most of time is around 40-50, so RE7 could easily run on Switch, probably around 900p/30fps in docked mode and 720p/30fps native in portable mode. Add to that point that Capcom requested from Nintendo to add 2GB of RAM more (to have 4GB at end) in order they could run their RE engine to Switch, and last informations we had is that they did port RE engine to Switch. Point that game (espacily Capcom games) dont coming to Switch or at least its still not on Switch, doesnt mean that Switch cant run that game.

DonFerrari said: 
Conina said: 

But Resident Evil 7 runs with solid 1080p/60fps even on base PS4 (and 90 fps in PSVR mode) : https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-resident-evil-7-face-off

Yep they could, visual on RE7 is quite subpar so it's easy to see it isn't as demanding as a regular flahship game. But that still proves quite easily that cartridge size isn't the deterrent.

Megiddo said: 

That is what he is claiming, and they only didn't release because they are waiting for cartrdige price to drop.

I was saying that's maybe could be one of possibilities, we don't know details about possible GTAV for Switch, we can only guess, but it seems that has something with size/costs of Switch carts.

Last edited by Miyamotoo - on 29 October 2018

Talking about RE games for Switch, after RE0, RE1 and RE4, I expecting RE5 and RE6, and after that maybe we get RE7 and REmake 2. I think how Switch install base is growing, Capcom will be more willing investing more in Switch support.

Last edited by Miyamotoo - on 29 October 2018

Miyamotoo said:
DonFerrari said:

It's a VGC link for the TitanFall 2. The dev talking about why they wouldn't port their game to Switch and why other devs probably wouldn't. It have nothing to do with media size (and you even proved that yourself with WiiU, and even Wii that had DVD equal as X360).

Ark is a game that can hardly say is AAA and pushing PS4 and X1 to the limit to validate that size would be biggest challenge, even more for a game that had last gen version on sizes that are feasible for Switch as said.

RE7 can't run on Switch and that wasn't due to size file.

But you do realise that TitanFall 2 dev was drunk when was saying that, didn't work with Switch hardware at all and did not released any game for Switch, right? While on other hand we having dev that releasing game for Switch game next month and talking about specifics about Switch. Also we know that Switch carts have storage/price problem even before that, why some same games on Switch are more expansive than they are on PS4/XB1, why on Switch you have plenty of games that on plenty of markets released only like digital downloads compared to same games on PS4/XB1 that have physical copy too, why so many bigger 3rd party games have additional download with psychical copywhy no one using 32GB carts on Switch? We talking about facts there.

And so are we also that sure games like MHW didn't release on Switch due to the cartridge size? Did the dev never worked on Switch so they don't know they can release a game on it?

You answer yourself and still don't get it. The devs that want to ship their games on Switch are doing it without being deterred by cartridge size, be it download only or partial, so that isn't stopping them. But how much additional work would they have to do for the technically demanding games to release on it?

Its not AAA game, but its quite demanding and bigger project in any case.

Ark is a bigger project than TitanFall2?

If Capcom anything proven with their Switch support is that they are very cheap with their support and using Switch carts, for games like RE Revelations and Okami HD they didnt even bother to release physical copies in Europe or in West, MegaMan collection is partially on cart, while other half of games you need to download and they used 2GB cart (I think). If you trying to imply that Switch cant run RE7 you are tottaly wrong, RE7 runs on base XB1 at lock 1080p and 60 FPS, and even runs on PS4 VR very good, its not demanding game at all, while for instance Doom on XB1 runs most of time at 830p and FPS most of time is around 40-50, so RE7 could easily run on Switch, probably around 900p/30fps in docked mode and 720p/30fps native in portable mode. Add to that point that Capcom requested from Nintendo to add 2GB of RAM more (to have 4GB at end) in order they could run their RE engine to Switch, and last informations we had is that they did port RE engine to Switch. Point that game (espacily Capcom games) dont coming to Switch or at least its still not on Switch, doesnt mean that Switch cant run that game.

So Capcom is very cheap and still released games on Switch, is R* even cheapier? The download only in Europe or West for GTA V would be the same route (or does it make a lot of success in Japan?). With each answer of yours I see less reason why they would postpone a finished game just to wait on cartridge price to drop (you know that they could very well after launching a digital only version do a physical one later if they so much wanted it).

DonFerrari said: 

I was saying that's maybe could be one of possibilities, we don't know details about possible GTAV for Switch, we can only guess, but it seems that has something with size/costs of Switch carts.

Nope, you are saying your credible insiders put as certain that there is a port of Switch ready to launch and waiting solely for the cartridge price to be good.