By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - ‘Rape Culture’ Is A MYTH | Change My Mind

Torillian said:
Pachofilauri said:

I don't want to start another argument here, but what you are saying only works if the girl is raped. When i woman is raped and gets pregnant am 100% on board with abortion. But when they choose to have sex they have to face the consequences, they know what can happen if they have unprotected sex, or even the chances of getting pregnant using condoms or pills. 

They made a choice given certain possible risks, but that doesn't mean we should disallow them from making any choices about the issue after the fact. If you drive a motorcycle you have a non-zero chance of getting into an accident, but if an accident occurs we don't just leave you to your own devices and say "well he knew the risks now he has to face the consequences". 

They have a choice, they can give the baby to adoption or keep it. I know what you´re getting with your your example but getting pregnant it not the same as dying, that´s why when the pregnancy puts the mothers life at risk, they can abort or at least in my country they can.  Plus In your example the only one affected is the person driving the motorcycle.

Around the Network
Pachofilauri said:
setsunatenshi said:

I was kind of with you on the argument until you brought in the abortion thing to misrepresent the pro choice principle. It's not like you can't have an opinion on abortion, but the principle of self determination overwhelms your opinions on it. It's 100% a woman's choice how she intends to use her body and no one can impose the physical drain of carrying anything within her body against her will.

Her body, her choice, period. 

I don't want to start another argument here, but what you are saying only works if the girl is raped. When i woman is raped and gets pregnant am 100% on board with abortion. But when they choose to have sex they have to face the consequences, they know what can happen if they have unprotected sex, or even the chances of getting pregnant using condoms or pills. 

No, it doesn't.

You're acting like people have sex with the main purpose of having kids. No.

Humans have sex because they are hardwired by nature to find pleasure in it. For many it's one of the pleasures that makes life worth living. Only if you have a worldview in which people should somehow be "punished" with the consequences of sex is how you justify that sentence "But when they choose to have sex they have to face the consequences".

These people don't lose their fundamental human rights to their body autonomy because they did something everyone can normally do. 

It's a very twisted way of looking at things if you feel the need to unnecessarily burden someone else or limit their rights because they did something that nearly every animal in this world is bound to do (fucking). 

So, stripping the punishment element out of your statement, the fundamental right of body autonomy precedes that of a different organism of feeding off of your body against your will.

setsunatenshi said:
Pachofilauri said:

No, it doesn't.

Humans have sex because they are hardwired by nature to find pleasure in it. For many it's one of the pleasures that makes life worth living. Only if you have a worldview in which people should somehow be "punished" with the consequences of sex is how you justify that sentence "But when they choose to have sex they have to face the consequences".

These people don't lose their fundamental human rights to their body autonomy because they did something everyone can normally do. 

It's a very twisted way of looking at things if you feel the need to unnecessarily burden someone else or limit their rights because they did something that nearly every animal in this world is bound to do (fucking). 

So, stripping the punishment element out of your statement, the fundamental right of body autonomy precedes that of a different organism of feeding off of your body against your will.

First of all, am not burdening anyone, am not saying that no one has the right to have sex or that they shouldn't. But everyone has to be responsible for everything they do, and is not like having a baby is a punishment or the worst thing that can happened so to someone. Women can be productive for at least 5 or 6 months in their pregnancy and after giving birth they can give the baby to adoption and forget about it for the rest of their life if they want to.

Second, people do have body autonomy, that´s why there are no laws against chopping your arm, your leg or even suicide. People can do with their body what ever they want, its when you put the life of someone else in the middle that i don´t agree.  And am sure you will say that they are only a bunch of cells and all that, but for me is a potential human being

Pachofilauri said:
setsunatenshi said:

No, it doesn't.

First of all, am not burdening anyone, am not saying that no one has the right to have sex or that they shouldn't. But everyone has to be responsible for everything they do, and is not like having a baby is a punishment or the worst thing that can happened so to someone. Women can be productive for at least 5 or 6 months in their pregnancy and after giving birth they can give the baby to adoption and forget about it for the rest of their life if they want to.

Second, people do have body autonomy, that´s why there are no laws against chopping your arm, your leg or even suicide. People can do with their body what ever they want, its when you put the life of someone else in the middle that i don´t agree.  And am sure you will say that they are only a bunch of cells and all that, but for me is a potential human being

no one can impose the leaching of nutrients of someone else's body in order to survive. if you would need a blood transfusion to survive, you can't impose anyone to donate that blood to you. what's so difficult to understand here? 

SpokenTruth said: 
KLAMarine said:

I disagree. 21 seems more concerned with belief that the majority of sex assault cases are false. My concern is different: that there may be a tendency to believe an allegation with no evidence to show for it.

So they should be disregarded? They can be very damning and even life-threatening.

Don't do that.  That's stupid.  You know good and well that I never said, implied or meant that they should be disregarded.

I'm not doing that and I completely agree: I will happily go on record to say that you never said, implied or meant that they should be disregarded.

SpokenTruth said: 

Merely that are not as prevalent as actual assaults.

Assuming this is true, I'm still left wondering if a number 26 can or cannot be introduced into the list of rape culture you posted earlier, that number 26 being "that there may be a tendency to believe an allegation with no evidence to show for it."

Around the Network
SpokenTruth said:
o_O.Q said:

men are the victims of violent crime over 4 times that of women...

also if prison rape is included men are the victims of rape to a higher degree than women but of course we don't count hat because fuck men right?

but regardless, have you considered that perhaps women are influenced both by society and their own biology to worry about threats more?

Are we talking about violent crime here?  No?  Then go make a violent crime thread.

Also, prison rape is included.  That means you didn't read any of my links either.  And no, men are most certainly not raped at a higher rate than women.  Stop watching prison movies.  But please, provide data to support your claim that men are raped more than women. 

As for your last statement, I'll break that into 2 parts.  "Influence by society to worry about threats"....omg, have you not read anything in this thread?  Perhaps a society whereby they have a high likelihood of sexual assault makes them worry about sexual assault.  And the latter...can you elaborate on how their biology would make them worry about being sexually assaulted?

"no, men are most certainly not raped at a higher rate than women."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2449454/More-men-raped-US-women-including-prison-sexual-abuse.html

its possible that in recent years the stats have gone the other way but i'm pretty sure that even if that's the case its still pretty darn close

""Influence by society to worry about threats"....omg, have you not read anything in this thread?  Perhaps a society whereby they have a high likelihood of sexual assault makes them worry about sexual assault."

i don't really a counterpoint to my argument here

but regardless "they have a high likelihood of sexual assault"

sexual assault defined how? any unpleasant interaction between a man and a woman?

"And the latter...can you elaborate on how their biology would make them worry about being sexually assaulted?"

you know what's funny? i see people with the same ideology as yourself claiming women should have more protections because due biology they are smaller and more vulnerable.... but the instant someone talks about the psychological consequences that has on women you become unable to make the obvious connection

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/games-primates-play/201201/gender-differences-in-personality-are-larger-previously-thought

women test higher for neuroticism/negative emotion than men do, for example, on average

"Are we talking about violent crime here?  No?"

my point was simply that men have a much higher chance of being attacked than women do and yet the difference in perception with regards to the dangers of society is so vast as you yourself pointed out

"Women feeling less safe walking the streets at night than men do."

Last edited by o_O.Q - on 09 October 2018

EricHiggin said:

If we all agree that men shouldn't rape woman because that's harmful to woman, then we should also be able to agree that woman shouldn't be able to kill the unborn because that's harmful to men.

This is part of the reason why I'm not entirely on board with abortion, yet would be willing to compromise to at least make it as acceptable for as many as possible.

It all comes down to ownership of the body in the end.

The person who is born with said Body has the first and last say of what happens with it, they are the owners, not an unborn child.
No one has the right to live at the expense of another. - The unborn child is more than entitled to survive on it's own accord outside of the body.

It's always been baffling that a fetus is the exception to this rule, because if I was to walk over to a stranger and take a kidney just so I could survive... I would be taken through the legal system.

Heck, even if I was called out to save someones life and that person strictly said "no" they don't want my help. - I am legally not allowed to assist them, I have to talk around them first.

o_O.Q said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2449454/More-men-raped-US-women-including-prison-sexual-abuse.html

its possible that in recent years the stats have gone the other way but i'm pretty sure that even if that's the case its still pretty darn close

Going to play devils advocate.
But wouldn't men be the perpetrators in those statistics as well?

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:

o_O.Q said:

Going to play devils advocate.
But wouldn't men be the perpetrators in those statistics as well?

lol i seriously laughed out loud when i read that

lets say a man stabbed you, as you lay there in a puddle of your own blood dying, were you partially at fault because you yourself are also a man? would you contextualise your stabbing differently if it was a woman that did it, be like "well at least it was a woman so its not so bad"

why are you bringing the sex of perpetrators of crimes into this? when its entirely irrelevant?

you aren't playing devils advocate, you are employing collective guilt towards men while i am almost completely sure you would claim you are trying to fight sexism and if i'm right oblivious to the irony of it... isn't it funny how that works?

o_O.Q said:

also if prison rape is included men are the victims of rape to a higher degree than women but of course we don't count hat because fuck men right?

I think the distinction between prison rape and non-prison rape is that prison rape is not indicative of culture at large. It is certainly indicative of the culture within prisons and it is certainly quite a large issue on its own, but I think one would be remiss to make conclusions about society by discussing conditions in prison. Further, I don't believe this is an issue with a lack of care for men (although I wouldn't deny that there is a certain disregard for male victims, especially when those victims have been victimized by a woman), I believe it is a lack of care for convicted criminals. Which isn't right, but again, not really indicative of much outside of prison walls (this is evidence by the following).

It is also worth noting that when speaking about prevalence, the issue is actually significantly more pronounced for female inmates. The difference in raw numbers is a result of population size. As we are discussing "culture", prevalence would be a more accurate means of measuring the issue here...

According to this study (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2438589/) inmate-on-inmate sexual victimization is 4x more likely among female prisoners than male prisoners, while this study (https://ps.psychiatryonline.org/doi/full/10.1176/ps.2007.58.8.1087# - See Table 3) indicates that inmate sexual victimization by either other inmates or staff is about 2-3x more like for female prisoners.

Last edited by sundin13 - on 09 October 2018

sundin13 said:
o_O.Q said:

I think the distinction between prison rape and non-prison rape is that prison rape is not indicative of culture at large. It is certainly indicative of the culture within prisons and it is certainly quite a large issue on its own, but I think one would be remiss to make conclusions about society by discussing conditions in prison. Further, I don't believe this is an issue with a lack of care for men (although I wouldn't deny that there is a certain disregard for male victims, especially when those victims have been victimized by a woman), I believe it is a lack of care for convicted criminals. Which isn't right, but again, not really indicative of much outside of prison walls (this is evidence by the following).

It is also worth noting that when speaking about prevalence, the issue is actually significantly more pronounced for female inmates. The difference in raw numbers is a result of population size. As we are discussing "culture", prevalence would be a more accurate means of measuring the issue here...

According to this study (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2438589/) inmate-on-inmate sexual victimization is 4x more likely among female prisoners than male prisoners, while this study (https://ps.psychiatryonline.org/doi/full/10.1176/ps.2007.58.8.1087# - See Table 3) seems to put that number around 2-3x more likely

"I think the distinction between prison rape and non-prison rape is that prison rape is not indicative of culture at large."

this coming from someone entertaining the idea that the culture of modern western countries normalises rape is pretty rich don't you think?

"I think one would be remiss to make conclusions about society by discussing conditions in prison. "

and who did so? my argument is that men are the victims of rape more so than women, which i suppose you agree on, therefore, rape is a greater threat to men than to women

i wasn't talking about the culture at large because to any rational person the understanding is that society deeply abhors rape to the point where it is considered the most heinous crime just under murder

"Further, I don't believe this is an issue with a lack of care for men"

which doesn't really matter, men understand from very early that they need to take care of their issues

"As we are discussing "culture", prevalence would be a more accurate means of measuring the issue here..."

ok why is rape more prevalent against men than against women?