By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Google Announces Project Stream, allows you to stream AAA games directly to Google Chrome

Like it or not, this is the future of gaming.Just a question of sooner or later.

Around the Network

Joined the program to play AC Odyssey for free.

Sounds like Google wants to monopolize the industry, by buying out major devs, and then making those games exclusive to Google's streaming platform.

shikamaru317 said:

Back in June, there was a leak about Google's gaming plans. If that leak was true, this was just the first of several major moves they are making in the near future:

We haven’t heard many specifics about Google’s video game plans, but what we have heard is that it’s a three-pronged approach: 1) Some sort of streaming platform, 2) some sort of hardware, and 3) an attempt to bring game developers under the Google umbrella, whether through aggressive recruiting or even major acquisitions. That’s the word from five people who have either been briefed on Google’s plans or heard about them secondhand.

In recent months, however, the chatter about Google has gotten louder. At the Game Developers Conference in March of this year, Google representatives met with several big video game companies to gauge interest in its streaming platform, which is code-named Yeti, sources said. (The existence of Google’s Yeti was first reported by the website The Information earlier this year.) Google also took meetings at E3 in Los Angeles a few weeks ago, those sources said, and from what we’ve heard, the company is looking not just to woo game developers to the Yeti service but to buy development studios entirely. (Google did not respond to a request for comment.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The leak was right about the streaming service. The leak may also be right about them planning to release their own console and building up their own 1st party by buying studios. We might just have 4 players next gen; Sony, MS, Nintendo, and Google. 

If Google joins then Apple will no doubt shortly enough. No way they let their main two competitors (Google and Microsoft) have this market war with Sony and Nintendo. We are probably going to go from 3 to 5 in a matter of a few years, and I doubt there will be many 3rd party studios left.

Just in the US? My internet connection exceeds the requirements and I'd like to try it out, guess I'm out of luck here.

I'm glad they're upping the internet requirement though, I use PS Now frequently and am amazed how well it works but since i think it's optimised to work on 5-15mb/s, it doesn't even offer better quality for those with faster connections, hopefully they are working on adding options like that.

Last edited by Landale_Star - on 02 October 2018

Around the Network
Cerebralbore101 said:
Sounds like Google wants to monopolize the industry, by buying out major devs, and then making those games exclusive to Google's streaming platform.

That's quite the jump to conclusions there. I'm not even sure it would be remotely close to being feasible.

morenoingrato said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

That's quite the jump to conclusions there. I'm not even sure it would be remotely close to being feasible.

Yeah it's not feasible. But Google still wants to do that. 

This is why Gaming consoles have to adapt to survive. If Sony and Nintendo don't improve their ecosystems, their consoles will go the same way as the Handhelds.

I am all for streaming. Casuals love streaming, and that is the way things are going to go, just like Music, Movies, and TV have already done. In those cases though, there are still high end enthusiast options for Physical media and local playback. That is where consoles need to go. We need more options, and most importantly, we need Premium options.

I hope core gamers are ready to buy into their industry the way Audio and Video people have bought into Displays and Sound Systems, or Photographers and Film makers have bought into Cameras and Camcorders. I want local playback to live on.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Cerebralbore101 said:
morenoingrato said:

Yeah it's not feasible. But Google still wants to do that. 

I think a plan like that could end up with near-bankruptcy for Google and the collapse of the gaming industry.

KBG29 said:
This is why Gaming consoles have to adapt to survive. If Sony and Nintendo don't improve their ecosystems, their consoles will go the same way as the Handhelds.

I am all for streaming. Casuals love streaming, and that is the way things are going to go, just like Music, Movies, and TV have already done. In those cases though, there are still high end enthusiast options for Physical media and local playback. That is where consoles need to go. We need more options, and most importantly, we need Premium options.

I hope core gamers are ready to buy into their industry the way Audio and Video people have bought into Displays and Sound Systems, or Photographers and Film makers have bought into Cameras and Camcorders. I want local playback to live on.

Going by FN and Minecraft, as well as all sorts of cash cow mobile games, casuals ultimately dictate everything, simply because they vastly outweigh the hardcore crowds.

Streaming will likely take over everything, and by then we won't own anything at all. We'll be paying higher prices just to stream games no one owns, and that's also added in with having to always be online just to play them as well. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"