By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Google Announces Project Stream, allows you to stream AAA games directly to Google Chrome

Hope it fails, go away Google.

Around the Network

Microsoft did something similar to this, called "Direct X", back in 1999 or so. That turned into a whole new Video Game console called the "Xbox", 'bet No one knows about that system...
With their "Yeti" console project in the News/Rumour mills and this Project Stream right here, I could see a legit 4th competitor in the Console War coming in.
This may seem like an easy win of the 9th gen if true, but then think of the "Xbox". It should have destroyed the market, but it failed to sell well in Japan and barely outsold the Nintendo Gamecube. So even if their "Yeti" comes into the 9th gen, don't expect it to sell alot. It's not like any console is going to sell 150 million copies... (I swear to god, PS5...)

F***ing Google in the gaming industry.

I will switch to Bing! Watch me do it!

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

shikamaru317 said:

We might just have 4 players next gen; Sony, MS, Nintendo, and Google. 

I used to think that somebody would buy Nintendo.  But, as I've gotten older and learned more about the gaming business, business in general, and life, I've come to think that Nintendo remains independent because they are too culturally different than the other major players (and the oft rumored possible entrants - Google and Apple).  Nobody wants to buy them.  If they falter again, I could see somebody trying to pick them up just for the valuable IP.  But, right now, while they're relatively valuable, nobody can risk the culture shock of trying to bring Nintendo under their umbrella.  

Still, it seems strange to me to see Nintendo mentioned as competing with giants like MS and Google.  

Ka-pi96 said:
Cerebralbore101 said:
Sounds like Google wants to monopolize the industry, by buying out major devs, and then making those games exclusive to Google's streaming platform.

Microsoft did the same thing when they started Xbox. They never even got close to a monopoly though

Yeah Microsoft went HAM in an attempt to take over the market and now they are dead last behind Nintendo and Sony after some success last gen. I feel google would have to put crazy money into this to make a dent on the console market. I also feel if they seriously enter it will result in either Microsoft or Google backing out because i can't see playstation or switch being as affected. 

Around the Network

Wait, did google just invent the ability to stream video wirelessly? My brain cannot handle this amount of innovation.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

KBG29 said:
This is why Gaming consoles have to adapt to survive. If Sony and Nintendo don't improve their ecosystems, their consoles will go the same way as the Handhelds.

I am all for streaming. Casuals love streaming, and that is the way things are going to go, just like Music, Movies, and TV have already done. In those cases though, there are still high end enthusiast options for Physical media and local playback. That is where consoles need to go. We need more options, and most importantly, we need Premium options.

I hope core gamers are ready to buy into their industry the way Audio and Video people have bought into Displays and Sound Systems, or Photographers and Film makers have bought into Cameras and Camcorders. I want local playback to live on.

Consoles won't survive when tvs can do the same. The premium option is already there, PC.

I wonder though if VR has a future when streaming takes over. You can't stream VR games. You can't make cheap VR headsets if you can't use locally available processing power in the form of mass adopted consoles.  Well, you can, the games are just not going to be very good with a phone processor. Sure on PC you can get the premium VR experience, yet without mass adoption, AAA games will never be made for VR :/ If VR doesn't take off with the ps5 it might be another 20 years before we see AAA games in VR....