By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Rockstar claims that RDR2 has 1000 voice actor cast, making it the largest ever in a game

Sounds like they tried to hit a big number for marketing purposes. Good voice actors can do many different voices, and even very discerning listeners can barely tell that they're the same person. The idea that they would need more actors for one game than the ENTIRE RUN of The Simpsons is simply ridiculous.

With that said, I appreciate diversity in voices and, more so, diversity in the lines that they say. So, Rockstar has now set another bar super high for this game. I hope they can jump over it.

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
HoloDust said:
What about polygon count? Do they translate directly into most emotional game ever?

Very few developers announce the polygon counts for their character models these days. Last 3 games I remember hearing character model polygon counts for were Ryse (80,000), Star Citizen (100,000), and Final Fantasy XV (100,000). And no, polygon count doesn't directly equate to the emotion that characters can show, animation quality and the skill of the mo-cap actor (if applicable) and voice actor matter far more for effectively showing emotion than polygon count does. 

Uhm...

HoloDust said:
shikamaru317 said:

Very few developers announce the polygon counts for their character models these days. Last 3 games I remember hearing character model polygon counts for were Ryse (80,000), Star Citizen (100,000), and Final Fantasy XV (100,000). And no, polygon count doesn't directly equate to the emotion that characters can show, animation quality and the skill of the mo-cap actor (if applicable) and voice actor matter far more for effectively showing emotion than polygon count does. 

Uhm...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Jim satirically making fun of David Cage in that video?

Personally I think the order of importance for showing emotion in video games is: Mo-cap actor skill > voice actor skill > animation quality > polygon count. All are important, but the a 100,000 polygon count isn't going to mean crap if the actors are bad at portraying emotion effectively, or if the animations look 10 years outdated.

Ok, here's my question.

How many copies does this game have to sell to cover the budget of the voice cast alone?

shikamaru317 said:
HoloDust said:

Uhm...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Jim satirically making fun of David Cage in that video?

Personally I think the order of importance for showing emotion in video games is: Mo-cap actor skill > voice actor skill > animation quality > polygon count. All are important, but the a 100,000 polygon count isn't going to mean crap if the actors are bad at portraying emotion effectively, or if the animations look 10 years outdated.

Yeah, that's why I made my initial post - that RDR2 1000 voice actors cast reminded me about Cage talking out of his ass about polygon count and emotions.

Around the Network
PAOerfulone said:
Ok, here's my question.

How many copies does this game have to sell to cover the budget of the voice cast alone?

Hard to say without knowing RDR2's actual budget. What we know is that Rockstar's previous game, GTA V, still holds the record for most expensive game ever made with a budget of $265m. GTA V apparently had 113 voice actors. On the surface at least, that makes it seem like RDR2's budget will be absolutely massive. However, that assumes that all actors are paid the same, which isn't actually true. The vast majority of these 1000 actors are essentially going to be the video game equivalent of extras in movies, they will basically be people with a minimum of voice acting experience who came in and recorded just a few lines of dialogue to be used as flavor dialogue spoken by NPC's while you walk around the world. So the vast majority of these 1000 actors will likely be paid for 1 hour of work at the current SAG-AFTRA minimum wage for voice acting in interactive entertainment (which games fall under), which is $400 per hour. This might actually end up saving them money over using a smaller number of popular voice actors to voice multiple characters each, since popular voice actors like Nolan North or Laura Bailey charge more per hour than the $400 minimum wage they'll be able to pay these lesser known voice actors. RDR2's budget probably will end up being higher than GTA V's $265m, but if it does end up higher it won't be because of voice acting most likely, it'll be because the game has been in development across every Rockstar studio for over 6 years, longer than GTA V was in development for, meaning more years of paying developer's salaries.

GTA V very easily broke even, earning $1b in it's first 3 days against it's $265m budget, and made over $6b in revenue lifetime. If RDR2 sells even 1/3rd of the copies that GTA V sold it will still be a big success even if the budget is higher than GTA V's was. 

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 02 October 2018

shikamaru317 said:
Nautilus said:
Thats... alot.It has no regards to the game quality, but its an impressive number nonetheless.

Well, I wouldn't say that it has no effect on quality at all, it will have some effect for sure. It can be quite immersion breaking to hear NPC's that sound exactly alike in a game, just look at TES 4, it only had 20 actors voicing hundreds of characters and it suffered for it, you could easily tell that most of the NPC's sounded alike (it created such a big problem that Bethesda increased to 36 actors for Fallout 3, 70 actors for Skyrim, and 140 for Fallout 4 so that they would no longer be criticized for having all NPC's sounding alike). By having 1000 actors, they have pretty much assured that every NPC will sound different, thereby increasing immersion, if only by a small amount. 

You could also argue that having so many voice actors makes it harder for having good actors to reprise every single role, because talent is not easy to come by.Even if I am stretching the argument a bit, given that many of those 1000 actors probably had to voice 3 or 4 sentences on the whole game.

I meant, with my original post, to say that having a big budget or in this case, a big "cast" dosent mean that the final game quality will be as big.Not that anyone is doubting that RDR 2 will dissapointing.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Nautilus said:
shikamaru317 said:

Well, I wouldn't say that it has no effect on quality at all, it will have some effect for sure. It can be quite immersion breaking to hear NPC's that sound exactly alike in a game, just look at TES 4, it only had 20 actors voicing hundreds of characters and it suffered for it, you could easily tell that most of the NPC's sounded alike (it created such a big problem that Bethesda increased to 36 actors for Fallout 3, 70 actors for Skyrim, and 140 for Fallout 4 so that they would no longer be criticized for having all NPC's sounding alike). By having 1000 actors, they have pretty much assured that every NPC will sound different, thereby increasing immersion, if only by a small amount. 

You could also argue that having so many voice actors makes it harder for having good actors to reprise every single role, because talent is not easy to come by.Even if I am stretching the argument a bit, given that many of those 1000 actors probably had to voice 3 or 4 sentences on the whole game.

I meant, with my original post, to say that having a big budget or in this case, a big "cast" dosent mean that the final game quality will be as big.Not that anyone is doubting that RDR 2 will dissapointing.

Yeah, I have to agree. The quality of the game would have been the same if there was "only" 500 voice actors and like some voice actors do, change their voice if even a little to fill in the other 500 roles.MMost of those 1000 roles will only have a line or 2. Fair to say that a lot of people won't even hear all the work done.

What a waste of resources. It's absolutely awesome though.

Do animal noises count as voice actors. 200 species of animals, they make sound as well!

Bet you, after all those voice actors, we still get the same old opening door/gate sound used in every game and tv show. I'm nit picky, yet it annoys me every door and gate sounds the same as every other lol.

Nautilus said:
Thats... alot.It has no regards to the game quality, but its an impressive number nonetheless.

It actually does. Not hearing npcs saying the same fucking lines over and over makes a massive difference.