By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Astro Bot: Rescue mission, a sleeper hit?

John2290 said:
Holy hell this is one hell of a polished game. I hated the Mario conparisons as if the reviewers were crediting Nintendo for inspiring this game but it sure is like a game Nintendo would make for VR down to a tee. Japan studio are talented in VR development and will hopefully make another more mature game. It's so beautiful (on pro anyway) that I sometimes can't progress the level because I have to stop and gawk around. Loving it and from a genre I grow very bored of these days. VR indeed makes everything better.

Mario set the standard as both a 2D and 3D platformer. Sure, there were some games that surpassed Super Mario Bros. and 64 since they released, but Mario, nevertheless, is considered the pioneer and standard bearer. Even during this current time when platformers are not the same dominant genre they once were back in the 80s and 90s, Mario has been able to endure the change of time and his games have remained some of the best in the industry.

So in a sense, it can be considered an honor for any game to be compared to Mario. Kinda of like comparing prospects to a Hall of Fame athlete.

I haven't seen the game in action (just pictures), but it looks nice and I'm sure it will do well sales wise, even with a smaller userbase. 

Around the Network
PwerlvlAmy said:
I love being proven wrong with stuff like this. Check my previous thoughts on this game. Been playing it for a short bit and this is really good and extremely cute.

So you take back what you said? :P you put anything on your YouTube account  

Played three areas in world one so far, and its great (and this is talking from a guy that usually dislikes Cutesy type games and prefers narrative serious story games)...

It's cut, but its the attention to detail that they've added. It really gives me the feeling of an old school platformer like Crock. Levels are quite short but nice little hidden away areas, always making you look around.

Fantastic fun, my eldest was watching me and he wants to now play it, and sure my daughter will love it, so definately happy with the purchase.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

think-man said:
PwerlvlAmy said:
I love being proven wrong with stuff like this. Check my previous thoughts on this game. Been playing it for a short bit and this is really good and extremely cute.

I only take back what I said about it not going to like it due to third person VR. Overall the game is great and shows potential for the platforming genre. Nintendo should take notes because Mario would be great in this type of environment. Also I have one video up on my channel,uploading a world 1 playthrough of Astro Bot right now

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Looks like Sony has a real winner on their hands because it looks really fun

Around the Network

Reading reviews about this game is actually making me want to cave and get a PSVR. May get one on Black Friday.

Bristow9091 said:
Errorist76 said:

There is an Astro Bot/Moss bundle already.

Yeah I'm actually super tempted to bite and get the bundle, Moss looked great anyway, but Astro Bot, dear lord it takes it to a whole new level, everything I've seen of the game looks amazing and I KNOW I'd enjoy it... just that there aren't really that many VR exclusive games out there that I want, although if it gets a price drop over black friday, or even sometime in the future, I'll definitely consider it.

What type of games do you enjoy? There's quite a few VR games I've enjoyed like Farpoint,RE7 in VR is great, Astro Bot, Knockout League, if you like House Of The Dead then there's Until Dawn Rush Of Blood that plays like an on rail shooter like that

PwerlvlAmy said:
think-man said:

I only take back what I said about it not going to like it due to third person VR. Overall the game is great and shows potential for the platforming genre. Nintendo should take notes because Mario would be great in this type of environment. Also I have one video up on my channel,uploading a world 1 playthrough of Astro Bot right now

Awesome, I'll check them out :) 

John2290 said:
PwerlvlAmy said:

What type of games do you enjoy? There's quite a few VR games I've enjoyed like Farpoint,RE7 in VR is great, Astro Bot, Knockout League, if you like House Of The Dead then there's Until Dawn Rush Of Blood that plays like an on rail shooter like that

Try blasters of the universe, Amy, don't write it off as a wave shooter causr it's far from it. It's like just dance meets bullet hell meets cool retro themes. One of the best games on the system, short and sweet but highly, highly polished. 

I'll look it up

Bristow9091 said:

I like a bit of everything provided it's not a sports or party game, lol. I'd image FPS games are great in VR, and Farpoint looked pretty interesting, also Doom VFR but only if you can move properly, I'll admit to only watching two gameplay videos, and both of them had that teleport movement thing, no thanks, I don't want that. I also have Until Dawn: Rush of Blood, it was free with Playstation Plus, along with RIGS, lol. Moss, and now Astro Bot, are games I know for a fact I'd enjoy, since I'm a huge platformer fan anyway and they look rather delightful, lol.

One thing I'm worried about when it comes to VR is the quality of the visuals, so far most games I've seen for PSVR have looked really bland and low res, which I can only imagine looks worse and offputting when you're wearing the headset, since you'd want the image to be as clear as possible. But meh, I can still sit and play PSOne games happily, so maybe it'll be a non-issue for me, I just don't want to spend so much money to find out I hate it or something, and I don't know anybody with one to try out first, or there's no demo stations near me either. 

If you still enjoy PS1 games you'll be fine. The visuals look better in VR than screenshots suggest, however it is close to 720p ps3 graphics quality. That's ps3 level graphics all around you in stereoscopic 3D at flawless 60fps (doubled to 120fps for head tracking movement)

After a while you forget about the resolution and low detail. You're inside the game world, it's a game changer. Skyrim in VR does not look great in screenshots, it was good enough for 130 hours of fun, twice the time I spend in it in pancake mode on ps3. Plus it ran better and looked better than the ps3 version.

You might want a ps4 pro though, that helps with the resolution. Many VR games render at a higher resolution on the pro.