By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Astro Bot: Rescue mission, a sleeper hit?

SvennoJ said:

A normal version would help the game generate more money. A lot of the magic will be lost yet making a version with a standard trailing camera controlled with the left stick would go a long way. There are many levels and challenges that require motion control though. However the DS4 is still capable of aiming without the camera. Head butts can be put on a button while in some of the levels the camera will need to be pulled back so you can aim the flash light etc.

It is possible, might get a bit frustrating to play at times. Trying to aim the camera and DS4 while steering astrobot all at once. Head tracking is really put to good use in the game and seeing how the DS4 is oriented in the game in you fov is pretty essential. With the inherent drift aiming the ds4 at the tv without a camera to correct drift might prove too frustrating. You need 3 analog sticks to play this game! Right stick, head tracking, DS4 tracking. Plus actually moving your head around the level is sometimes necessary to find hidden bots.

Astrobot is a good example of how VR can expand gameplay possibilities.

One thing Astrobot doesn't play with and is another great strength of VR are perspective shifts. Psychonauts and the Rombus of Ruin, another very comfortable game in VR (adventure game) does that wonderfully. Changing perspective from a mouse to a whale's point of view during the game. Of course Moss does that very well too. When I heard a noise and looked up to see a giant deer looking down on me, magic!

Oh crap I just realized I forgot to download Tetris effect demo, too absorbed in RDR2. Downloading now!

Sorry I think I didn’t word my self better. 

I think Sony will release a game featuring astrobot for a normal version and will have a vr exclusive to sell to PSVR just like astrobot    for VR. It’s like expanding the universe. It’s like 2d mario and 3d mario. Each has it’s own charm. I think Team asobi can pull it off. Without losing it’s VR charm and quality.

I think Shawn Layden know this. In his recent interview, he thinks they found themselves a new mascot. Which Knacks failed to do. A game for a family oriented games that they really lack. Astrobot fits the bill. When I was playing a demo in some Playstation showcase here. Lot’s of kids are playing it. But PSVR will make it an expensive thing for parents. 

anyway I agree with everything you have said. I played the tetris effect demo and it’s awesome with effects, it will distract you but it’s cool. Hopefully PSVR price will go down because I seriously enjoyed Astrobot and it’s charm. It’s like I am in it’s world we need more games like this in PSVR.

Also, Siren game for PSVR and A normal version. We also need more RPG for it. Or simulator like harvest moon.