By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Ps4 Pro Price cut in Japan

drkohler said:
RaptorChrist said:
PS4s must be getting fairly cheap to manufacture this late into the gen.

No it is the other way around. Consoles late into the gen (whatever that means) are more expensive to manufacture. That is simply the law of "You order less, you pay more" (Notice that PS4 retail costs have actually risen in Europe, I'd guess due to renewed memory price negatiations). What we're likely seeing now is the fact that development costs for the PS4Pro SoC have been recouped (they were a fraction of the original PS4's SoC cost, so it only took a few 100k sales to do that). The manufacturing cost difference between base and pro model is a few dollars now, even if Sony charges fifty bucks more now for the Pro, they still make more hay with that model all things considered.

This is simply bullshit. Not only do components get cheaper but also Sony always makes several revisions, which optimise and shrink their internals with the goal not only to make the consoles more efficient, but also cheaper to produce. 

Edit: Sorry for the 4 posts everybody. On my iPad.

Around the Network
RaptorChrist said:
drkohler said:

No it is the other way around. Consoles late into the gen (whatever that means) are more expensive to manufacture. That is simply the law of "You order less, you pay more" (Notice that PS4 retail costs have actually risen in Europe, I'd guess due to renewed memory price negatiations). What we're likely seeing now is the fact that development costs for the PS4Pro SoC have been recouped (they were a fraction of the original PS4's SoC cost, so it only took a few 100k sales to do that). The manufacturing cost difference between base and pro model is a few dollars now, even if Sony charges fifty bucks more now for the Pro, they still make more hay with that model all things considered.

So it's your belief that PS4s are more expensive to manufacture now than they were at launch? Forgive me for being skeptical, Doctor, but I'm not buying it.

I don't think that's exactly what he means, but he's wrong nonetheless.  As the years go on, manufacturers always find ways to cut costs on things.  Whether it be smaller chipsets, removing redundant pieces, decreasing the amount of plastic used, or finding cheaper equivalent parts.  And while they do end up ordering less, they would already have deals put in place for how much they pay per part at this point.  It's also beneficial for AMD to not jack up prices for PS4, as they are working with Sony on the PS5. 

Errorist76 said:
RenCutypoison said:

There is a quieter PS4pro and a louder one, but I'm not sure how the quieter one compares to the launch ps4. However the first ps4pro model is louder than launch ps4 (I mean my cat looks genuinely worried everytime I boot it while it has no problem with the washing machine, just saying)

This cheaper model will likely be even more silent. It’s the second revision CUH 72XX series SKU.

Yes apparently the 72XX is a very silent model compared to 70XX (3 db less). I saw a guy who compared the 2 models on Youtube with a device to measure db. But we need more tests to see if there are models less silent and to see how the noise evolves with time and dust.

Errorist76 said:

This is simply bullshit. Not only do components get cheaper but also Sony always makes several revisions, which optimise and shrink their internals with the goal not only to make the consoles more efficient, but also cheaper to produce. 

Look, I've worked and had insight into mass manufacturing for many years in various industries. Let's just agree I know what I am talking about and you don't and leave it at that.

globalisateur said:
Errorist76 said:

This cheaper model will likely be even more silent. It’s the second revision CUH 72XX series SKU.

Yes apparently the 72XX is a very silent model compared to 70XX (3 db less). I saw a guy who compared the 2 models on Youtube with a device to measure db. But we need more tests to see if there are models less silent and to see how the noise evolves with time and dust.

No one even has a 72Xx model yet. Those will be introduced with the RDR2 bundle. You likely mean the 7115/16B models which already are considerably more silent.

Around the Network
drkohler said:
Errorist76 said:

Look, I've worked and had insight into mass manufacturing for many years in various industries. Let's just agree I know what I am talking about and you don't and leave it at that.

Sure man, whatever makes you sleep at night. If you really think something like a PS3 superslim is more expensive to produce than a launch fatty, I sure can’t help you.

drkohler said:
Errorist76 said:

I honestly cannot fathom how someone can work in 'mass manufacturing' and not be aware of something so fundamental and simple as Moore's Law. It's baffling.

Errorist76 said:
drkohler said:

Sure man, whatever makes you sleep at night. If you really think something like a PS3 superslim is more expensive to produce than a launch fatty, I sure can’t help you.

Don't worry, I also have experience in mass manufacturing and I back you.  Actually, I don't have any experience.  But, this is the internet and I can claim whatever I want to shut down an argument. 

Errorist76 said:
globalisateur said:

No one even has a 72Xx model yet. Those will be introduced with the RDR2 bundle. You likely mean the 7115/16B models which already are considerably more silent.

Ugh. Yes japanese gamers have already those models. Why would I lie ?

Well, not sure if this'll help much to increase the console's baseline sales...but let's hope it does, even if a little.