By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Ps4 Pro Price cut in Japan

RenCutypoison said:
Sunstrider said:

I've been looking but couldn't find any article about my Asian PS4 Pro model CUH-7106B, is this new or old?

The launch model is 70xx, 71xx are newer SKUs.

The model number is the same as the Battlefront 2 ps4pro SKU, which was launched a year after the PS4pro. It is said the first model's APU tend to heat the RAM, resulting in a overall "warmer" experience (lawl), which could be the reason its fans are louder.

A few sources talk about two different fan manufacturers on the launch model, which could explain why there are so many discrepancies in user experiences.

There is a recent 72XX model of Pro. RDR2 bundle is the new model.

Around the Network
mushroomboy5 said:
Madword said:

I havent got a 4K TV and I've really loved the improved performance and visuals. So for me it was worth it, but depends on how much you game etc I guess.

Oh ok so you’d say there was an improvement on a ‘regular’ hd tv? Cool didn’t realize that. (I game enough to make it worthwhile)... might wait and see if this pricecut goes global.

Yes, you will be seeing an improvement on a 1080p tv. I haven't really explored to what degree exactly. There was a thread on this only a couple days ago. Maybe it will help a little bit.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=237833

Madword said:
mushroomboy5 said:

Oh ok so you’d say there was an improvement on a ‘regular’ hd tv? Cool didn’t realize that. (I game enough to make it worthwhile)... might wait and see if this pricecut goes global.

As far as I was concerned yes, dont know if it was the placebo effect, but I felt Fallout 4 looked a lot better (and ran better)... and I think this was the same for horizon... but this was a screen thats quite close to me (in my office and not my TV)... but I felt it did improve but now I've normalised to it (and dont play on a standard PS4 anymore).

Almost every game runs, at the very least, slightly better with boost mode turned on. It too bad games made with the Pro in mind, with the "Pro Enhanced" label on the box, don't all come with some graphics/settings options.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

KBG29 said:
So basically a $50 price cut. Interesting move. Wonder why they did'nt cut the Slim? Only a $50 price difference between Slim and Pro is strange to say the least.

Nah, it used to be that a pro was 15k yen (50%) more expensive than the slim model. This cut just brings it to the same relative price (33% more than the slim) as the rest in the world in Japan.

PS4s must be getting fairly cheap to manufacture this late into the gen. I wonder if they are just going to axe the OG PS4 and sell only the Pro models at some point, or if they are going to bring it down into the $200-range. In the past, Sony has been able to continue to sell a large number of consoles even two years into the next generation of consoles.

Hopefully, we get price cuts across the board. I'm expecting another week of $199 here in the States. But, I hope after that, the price is permanently slashed to $249. As well as the Pro hitting $349.

Around the Network
RaptorChrist said:
PS4s must be getting fairly cheap to manufacture this late into the gen.

No it is the other way around. Consoles late into the gen (whatever that means) are more expensive to manufacture. That is simply the law of "You order less, you pay more" (Notice that PS4 retail costs have actually risen in Europe, I'd guess due to renewed memory price negatiations). What we're likely seeing now is the fact that development costs for the PS4Pro SoC have been recouped (they were a fraction of the original PS4's SoC cost, so it only took a few 100k sales to do that). The manufacturing cost difference between base and pro model is a few dollars now, even if Sony charges fifty bucks more now for the Pro, they still make more hay with that model all things considered.

drkohler said:
RaptorChrist said:
PS4s must be getting fairly cheap to manufacture this late into the gen.

No it is the other way around. Consoles late into the gen (whatever that means) are more expensive to manufacture. That is simply the law of "You order less, you pay more" (Notice that PS4 retail costs have actually risen in Europe, I'd guess due to renewed memory price negatiations). What we're likely seeing now is the fact that development costs for the PS4Pro SoC have been recouped (they were a fraction of the original PS4's SoC cost, so it only took a few 100k sales to do that). The manufacturing cost difference between base and pro model is a few dollars now, even if Sony charges fifty bucks more now for the Pro, they still make more hay with that model all things considered.

So it's your belief that PS4s are more expensive to manufacture now than they were at launch? Forgive me for being skeptical, Doctor, but I'm not buying it.

Sunstrider said:
animegaming said:
If they bring the price down in the states I will probably pick one up, my launch PS4 is getting pretty loud with most new games and I could always use a performance boost.

The jet engine is retained(well, maybe not as loud? not sure), just want to let you know.

How do you know? It’s a new model SKU that’s likely both, cheaper to produce and more silent/efficient. That’s how Sony has been doing it every gen.

KBG29 said:
So basically a $50 price cut. Interesting move. Wonder why they did'nt cut the Slim? Only a $50 price difference between Slim and Pro is strange to say the least.

At launch the gap was also just 50$. The Slim 1TB was 349,-, Pro was 399,-.

RenCutypoison said:
Sunstrider said:

The jet engine is retained(well, maybe not as loud? not sure), just want to let you know.

There is a quieter PS4pro and a louder one, but I'm not sure how the quieter one compares to the launch ps4. However the first ps4pro model is louder than launch ps4 (I mean my cat looks genuinely worried everytime I boot it while it has no problem with the washing machine, just saying)

This cheaper model will likely be even more silent. It’s the second revision CUH 72XX series SKU.