By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan Sales Week 38 Media Create/Famitsu/Dengeki - September 17-23, 2018

Megiddo said:
Miyamotoo said:

Around 38k is depressing number!?

For Nintendo hardware in Japan in its second year? Absolutely. It might not even sell as much this quarter as last year where every week the Switch was supply constrained.

Pokémon and Smash bundles are probably "stealing" quite a few sales every week, I'm sure otherwise the sales would be above 40k, possibly close to 50k

Around the Network

Sometimes I feel a bit nostalgic, thinking about Japan being a big empire and maybe the most important market back to Playstation and Sega Saturn Era.
Looking now at the volume of hardware and software moved(all consoles included), compared to Europe and NA, well, it is sad, really sad. From being maybe the most important market, it is now a niche market. Anyway, I'm pleasantly surprised by Spiderman's continuity and legs, in Japan.

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

Nate4Drake said:
Sometimes I feel a bit nostalgic, thinking about Japan being a big empire and maybe the most important market back to Playstation and Sega Saturn Era.
Looking now at the volume of hardware and software moved(all consoles included), compared to Europe and NA, well, it is sad, really sad. From being maybe the most important market, it is now a niche market. Anyway, I'm pleasantly surprised by Spiderman's continuity and legs, in Japan.

Thinking of Japan as a niche market is not smart thinking at all

Miyamotoo said:
Kerotan said:

Smartphone sales kinda make it seem like a 300 price point for a portable piece of hardware isn't exactly a big issue with the consumer. 

Smartphones are not consoles. Dont forget, $250 price point for 3DS was huge problem for 3DS sales, that why 3DS had huge price point to $170 only 6 months after launch.

Yeah it was back then it clearly isn't now. 3ds was an extremely weak piece of hardware compared to the switch which is a powerful device capable of good looking games. The market clearly shows 300 is no problem for this portable piece of hardware. 

Kerotan said:
Miyamotoo said:

Smartphones are not consoles. Dont forget, $250 price point for 3DS was huge problem for 3DS sales, that why 3DS had huge price point to $170 only 6 months after launch.

Yeah it was back then it clearly isn't now. 3ds was an extremely weak piece of hardware compared to the switch which is a powerful device capable of good looking games. The market clearly shows 300 is no problem for this portable piece of hardware. 

Its not point about strength of hardware at all and that really wasn't never point of Nintendo hardware, Vita was much stronger than 3DS and 3DS destroyed Vita in sales, same like DS sold much better than PSP. Simple $300 is still high price point to have popularity and sales like Nintendo handhelds usually have in Japan, when Switch have price point of around $200 in Japan, than Switch sales will really explode, with around that price point Nintendo goal with Switch will start fulfilling, and thats that Switch become device per person instead of device per family (they literally said that, but also that current price point is still not yet there).

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:
Kerotan said:

Its not point about strength of hardware at all and that really wasn't never point of Nintendo hardware, Vita was much stronger than 3DS and 3DS destroyed Vita in sales, same like DS sold much better than PSP. Simple $300 is still high price point to have popularity and sales like Nintendo handhelds usually have in Japan, when Switch have price point of around $200 in Japan, than Switch sales will really explode, with around that price point Nintendo goal with Switch will start fulfilling, and thats that Switch become device per person instead of device per family (they literally said that, but also that current price point is still not yet there).

Switch sales already exploded. They will explode again with new games and new price but in the end i don't see it selling much more then 3ds if even any. In todays world switch has shown a 300 portable console isn't a problem. Vitas problems was its games not its power or price. 

Let's have a look in detail...I select a week far enough from today so the numbers has been adjusted. The switch had a pretty average week in Japan :
19th May 2018 :

Switch :
USA : population 326M --> 41600 NS + 53300 PS4 = 94900 units
Japan : Population 127M --> 32800 NS + 16700 PS4 = 49500 units
France : Population 67M --> 11900 NS + 10400 PS4 = 22300 units

woahh...Japan sucks with the consoles market.

Current PB on Secret of Mana remake : 2h27 (2nd)
Strongest worldwide achievement on TGM : 1st European S13 rank
Fastest TGM3 MASTER in Europe : rank Master V in 5min10
Western record on TGM3 EASY : 1484
Current PB on Power Ranger (Game Gear) : 10min06 (World Record)

Non-geek activity : ThermalHungary

Kerotan said:
Miyamotoo said:

Switch sales already exploded. They will explode again with new games and new price but in the end i don't see it selling much more then 3ds if even any. In todays world switch has shown a 300 portable console isn't a problem. Vitas problems was its games not its power or price. 

Hardly sales can explode when Switch still has launch price point and actual home console price point, so no, they didnt still explode, fact that Switch is selling good with curent price point doesn't mean that sales explode, Switch is still selling one Switch per family/household. I talking about Japan specifically, and $300 is still high price point to have popularity and sales like Nintendo handhelds usually have in Japan. But 3DS also was very weak and ended 3rd best selling gaming devaice in Japan ever, also PSP was stronger than DS and DS sold almost twise better than PSP, so like I wrote, strength of hardware wasn't never reason if some Nintendo hardware is selling good or bad. Its way too early too say how much Switch will sell in Japan LT, it will depends of how low Switch can go with price point, how much revisions it will have and how long life span of Switch will be (Nintendo said they planing longer than usual 6 years). For now Switch is selling very good despite still have high price point for handheld and despite still have launch price point, in this time of 3DS lifespan, 3DS had almost twice time lower price point.

Last edited by Miyamotoo - on 28 September 2018

Miyamotoo said:
Kerotan said:

Smartphone sales kinda make it seem like a 300 price point for a portable piece of hardware isn't exactly a big issue with the consumer. 

He has a point though. The 3DS launched before smartphones took off in Japan. The iPhone 4S was one of the first successful smartphones there and it came out in September 2011.

America in 2011: 42% of phones were smartphones (source)

Japan in 2011: 18% of phones were smartphones (source)

In 2011 the majority of consumers (even in America) didn't want to spend >$250 on a new phone. However, by 2014 smartphones hit ~70% market penetration in both markets. This is when most consumers would have gotten used to the higher prices.

I think this change in perception of value in recent years arguably helped the Switch.

It might have even helped the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X. Because remember people shitting on the Xbox One because it launched at $499? That was in 2013. Same year as the Switch launched we got the Xbox One X which also cost $499 at launch and no one cared. But that is difficult to compare because the base consoles are cheaper now.

theDX said:
Miyamotoo said:

He has a point though. The 3DS launched before smartphones took off in Japan. The iPhone 4S was one of the first successful smartphones there and it came out in September 2011.

America in 2011: 42% of phones were smartphones (source)

Japan in 2011: 18% of phones were smartphones (source)

In 2011 the majority of consumers (even in America) didn't want to spend >$250 on a new phone. However, by 2014 smartphones hit ~70% market penetration in both markets. This is when most consumers would have gotten used to the higher prices.

I think this change in perception of value in recent years arguably helped the Switch.

It might have even helped the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X. Because remember people shitting on the Xbox One because it launched at $499? That was in 2013. Same year as the Switch launched we got the Xbox One X which also cost $499 at launch and no one cared. But that is difficult to compare because the base consoles are cheaper now.

Couldn't have said it better myself. That is fact.