By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How Sony became king of consoles again

LudicrousSpeed said:
I think they just took advantage of the massive mistakes MS and Nintendo made, while they fixed their main issues from previous gen, price and ease of development on their console. I give Nintendo more credit for the previous gen because they took a huge risk. Sony took no risks. Hell the MS butchery of the Xbone reveal was so bad, Sony was able to sneak in paid multiplayer and no one cared.

Sony took a risk by announcing the ps4 when they did. Caught Microsoft with their pants down and forced them to rush the console out. Genius move by Sony and forced Microsoft to stumble into the gen. Remember they only launched in tier 1 countries because they didn't have enough time? Sony also made the ps4 more powerful then expected. 

Sony took risks by allowing their developers freedom. You could argue the status quo between Sony and Microsoft resumed this gen. 360 mainly became  so popular because of Sonys massive ps3 fuck ups. Then Microsoft returned the favor.

With Sony extremely unlikely to repeat the same fuck ups and with Microsoft leagues behind their first party quality i cant see ps5 not pushing on and utterly dominating xbox. 

Around the Network
COKTOE said:
curl-6 said:

You don't seem to be aware of the specific topic under discussion and how we came to it, and why the Wii U has nothing whatsoever to do with it.

This discussion began with the assertion that "PS never stopped being the king of consoles", which implies that the PS3 was king last gen when it was getting thrashed by the Wii in sales, bleeding billions of dollars, and losing half of the marketshare it inherited from PS2.

The Wii U did not even exist at this time, so it's completely irrelevant.

I joined when you were talking with Don about placards. "Wii would beat PS3 in such a test" Who am I quoting here? What is the quote in reference to? I'm aware. Are you? Tell me more about placards. Tell me why Nintendo holding up the Wii brand didn't propel the the Wii-U to greater success. Tell me why more jackasses potentially recognizing the Wii brand on a game show quiz matter more than ongoing real world sales. Tell how all the people who have made PS4 the #1 selling console have forgotten the number 3. The Wii-U and the PS3 co-existed. The PS3 sold more consoles in it's dying years during than the Wii-U  did in it's entire existence. Is that irrelevant? Better hold up some logos on a street corner and ask passersby to find out for sure. And just to punctuate my own take on the whole affair: The Wii was was weak console. It had some great/good games from Nintendo, but was hilariously outclassed by PS and MS in overall software quality, to say nothing of the other avenues where it was, objectively, the winner of the participation award, and naught else. It was an overall software wasteland with a smattering of Nintendo and third party manufactured oases.

This is legitimately one of the best comments I've ever seen on this site. It is so well written - from start to finish it has your eyes fixated on the next sentence. I am not kidding. Incredibly cohesive and well thought-out. 

As for whether I can agree or not; I was too young to experience every console that gen as an informed gamer would. But you made me reflect on the Wii brand in an interesting way. 

It's sad that the response you got was so piss poor. I like you Curl, but this is an example of getting played at your own game. You brought up brand image and awareness and then stuck strictly to sales when someone acknowledged placards and used them against you. Shifting goal posts. Bad move. 

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
COKTOE said:

I joined when you were talking with Don about placards. "Wii would beat PS3 in such a test" Who am I quoting here? What is the quote in reference to? I'm aware. Are you? Tell me more about placards. Tell me why Nintendo holding up the Wii brand didn't propel the the Wii-U to greater success. Tell me why more jackasses potentially recognizing the Wii brand on a game show quiz matter more than ongoing real world sales. Tell how all the people who have made PS4 the #1 selling console have forgotten the number 3. The Wii-U and the PS3 co-existed. The PS3 sold more consoles in it's dying years during than the Wii-U  did in it's entire existence. Is that irrelevant? Better hold up some logos on a street corner and ask passersby to find out for sure. And just to punctuate my own take on the whole affair: The Wii was was weak console. It had some great/good games from Nintendo, but was hilariously outclassed by PS and MS in overall software quality, to say nothing of the other avenues where it was, objectively, the winner of the participation award, and naught else. It was an overall software wasteland with a smattering of Nintendo and third party manufactured oases.

This is legitimately one of the best comments I've ever seen on this site. It is so well written - from start to finish it has your eyes fixated on the next sentence. I am not kidding. Incredibly cohesive and well thought-out. 

As for whether I can agree or not; I was too young to experience every console that gen as an informed gamer would. But you made me reflect on the Wii brand in an interesting way. 

It's sad that the response you got was so piss poor. I like you Curl, but this is an example of getting played at your own game. You brought up brand image and awareness and then stuck strictly to sales when someone acknowledged placards and used them against you. Shifting goal posts. Bad move. 

Wow thanks. I was so drunk when I posted this that my tear ducts were actually venting vodka fumes. Not even kidding. It's been a ROUGH 3 weeks, and during this period I've been apologizing left and right on this site for being an asshole, and I include my back and forth with Curl among my worst moments. I definitely engaged in some over the top hyperbole in that exchange. Don't think the Wii was weak per say, but I can't shy away from the idea that it was, IMO, not the best in terms of overall quality in gen 7. Outside of the Virtual Boy, none of the current big 3 have ever had anything approaching a bad platform. The Wii was solid.

Last edited by COKTOE - on 10 October 2018

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Kerotan said:
LudicrousSpeed said:
I think they just took advantage of the massive mistakes MS and Nintendo made, while they fixed their main issues from previous gen, price and ease of development on their console. I give Nintendo more credit for the previous gen because they took a huge risk. Sony took no risks. Hell the MS butchery of the Xbone reveal was so bad, Sony was able to sneak in paid multiplayer and no one cared.

Sony took a risk by announcing the ps4 when they did. Caught Microsoft with their pants down and forced them to rush the console out. Genius move by Sony and forced Microsoft to stumble into the gen. Remember they only launched in tier 1 countries because they didn't have enough time? Sony also made the ps4 more powerful then expected. 

Sony took risks by allowing their developers freedom. You could argue the status quo between Sony and Microsoft resumed this gen. 360 mainly became  so popular because of Sonys massive ps3 fuck ups. Then Microsoft returned the favor.

With Sony extremely unlikely to repeat the same fuck ups and with Microsoft leagues behind their first party quality i cant see ps5 not pushing on and utterly dominating xbox. 

If you can so easily explain why announcing it when they did was so smart and struck such a massive blow to Microsoft then it doesn’t seem like a risk. Nor was making it more powerful. Sneaking in the RAM they did was a strategic move, not a risk. It paid off, but wasn’t a risk. If it had pushed the price of the hardware to $500, then ok, maybe a risk. Of course, Microsoft was still launching weaker hardware at that same $500 price, so not much of a risk anyway. 

Allowing their devs freedom? Isn’t that like... what every publisher does? Scraping the bottom of the barrel there to come up with something. And I’m shocked at your next gen prediction, utterly shocked. Add spoiler tags next time please. 

LudicrousSpeed said:
Kerotan said:

If you can so easily explain why announcing it when they did was so smart and struck such a massive blow to Microsoft then it doesn’t seem like a risk. Nor was making it more powerful. Sneaking in the RAM they did was a strategic move, not a risk. It paid off, but wasn’t a risk. If it had pushed the price of the hardware to $500, then ok, maybe a risk. Of course, Microsoft was still launching weaker hardware at that same $500 price, so not much of a risk anyway. 

Allowing their devs freedom? Isn’t that like... what every publisher does? Scraping the bottom of the barrel there to come up with something. And I’m shocked at your next gen prediction, utterly shocked. Add spoiler tags next time please. 

You're shocked i think ps5 will dominate xbox again next gen or you're shocked because its so obvious to you they will? 

Sony have had 3 battles with Microsoft. Dominating 2 of them and pretty even in the other. After next gen I think Sony will have dominated 3 of the 4 battles.

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
KungKras said:
They won because they just put out a box without obvous flaws while the competition self-destructed.

tired old excuse that others made mistakes, sony have no merit.

You keep hearing it because people are saying it for a reason.

I LOVE ICELAND!

Kerotan said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

Don't forget the RAM that Sony choose one that was expensive and they would have only 4GB, then the price dropped and they were able to put 8GB.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

KungKras said:
DonFerrari said:

tired old excuse that others made mistakes, sony have no merit.

Yes, Sony dominated 3 of 4 gens, and in the one they made major mistakes they were able to finish just 15% bellow the leader... yes, 0 merits in those and also no risk. Sony just have everything given to then, so privileged.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

DonFerrari said:
KungKras said:

Yes, Sony dominated 3 of 4 gens, and in the one they made major mistakes they were able to finish just 15% bellow the leader... yes, 0 merits in those and also no risk. Sony just have everything given to then, so privileged.

That's correct.

I LOVE ICELAND!

KungKras said:
DonFerrari said:

That's correct.

Would you mind explain why MS, Nintendo and Sega failed to have good sales for so many generations and why would they pay so high for their corporate level to make so many dumb decisions that would prevent them from having good gens?