By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How Sony became king of consoles again

DonFerrari said:
Kerotan said:

Sony took a risk by announcing the ps4 when they did. Caught Microsoft with their pants down and forced them to rush the console out. Genius move by Sony and forced Microsoft to stumble into the gen. Remember they only launched in tier 1 countries because they didn't have enough time? Sony also made the ps4 more powerful then expected. 

Sony took risks by allowing their developers freedom. You could argue the status quo between Sony and Microsoft resumed this gen. 360 mainly became  so popular because of Sonys massive ps3 fuck ups. Then Microsoft returned the favor.

With Sony extremely unlikely to repeat the same fuck ups and with Microsoft leagues behind their first party quality i cant see ps5 not pushing on and utterly dominating xbox. 

Don't forget the RAM that Sony choose one that was expensive and they would have only 4GB, then the price dropped and they were able to put 8GB.

Oh that move was beautiful 

Around the Network
Kerotan said:
DonFerrari said:

Don't forget the RAM that Sony choose one that was expensive and they would have only 4GB, then the price dropped and they were able to put 8GB.

Oh that move was beautiful 

No, it was just dumb luck or Sony had privileged information (that the RAM manufacturer didn't) about those memories being affordable enough to double the amount. Sony 3 uncontested wins were all dumb luck, competitors fuck ups, risk free occurrences that always happen with only Sony. When they weren't luck they lost.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

LMFAO at all these excuses about MS/ Nintendo shooting themselves in the foot that helped Sony win the gen.

The Xbox brand simply has no chance against the PS brand in the console market. If they can't even outsell the PS3, a console where Sony royally fucked themselves, they won't outsell any PS going forward, especially with Sony's massive world wide market. As for Nintendo, PS1, PS2, & soon the PS4 will outsell the Wii, Nintendo's highest selling console. Nintendo also couldn't complete a comeback like Sony did with the PS3.

The fact is, MS/ Nintendo benefit more on Sony's mistakes, than vice versa. Sony owns the console market.

PotentHerbs said:
LMFAO at all these excuses about MS/ Nintendo shooting themselves in the foot that helped Sony win the gen.

The Xbox brand simply has no chance against the PS brand in the console market. If they can't even outsell the PS3, a console where Sony royally fucked themselves, they won't outsell any PS going forward, especially with Sony's massive world wide market. As for Nintendo, PS1, PS2, & soon the PS4 will outsell the Wii, Nintendo's highest selling console. Nintendo also couldn't complete a comeback like Sony did with the PS3.

The fact is, MS/ Nintendo benefit more on Sony's mistakes, than vice versa. Sony owns the console market.

How does Nintendo ever benefit from Sony's mistakes? Microsoft I'll agree with particularly during the 360 era (though Microsoft fucked up several times eg RROD). If anything, Nintendo's mistakes, starting back as far as 1988, were the catalyst for Playstation's emergence and eventual domination.

PortisheadBiscuit said:
PotentHerbs said:

How does Nintendo ever benefit from Sony's mistakes? Microsoft I'll agree with particularly during the 360 era (though Microsoft fucked up several times eg RROD). If anything, Nintendo's mistakes, starting back as far as 1988, were the catalyst for Playstation's emergence and eventual domination.

Sony's mistakes with the PS3 and Vita lead to the switching of platforms for the top two, non Nintendo franchises in Monster Hunter and Dragon Quest in Japan.  Sony's lifeblood is 3rd party titles and without the two biggest, they struggled and Nintendo benefited.

Around the Network
PortisheadBiscuit said:
PotentHerbs said:

So Nintendo have been making mistake after mistake for 30 years and that is why PS is strong? How did they survive for so long and how didn't the corporate got fired?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

DonFerrari said:
PortisheadBiscuit said:

So Nintendo have been making mistake after mistake for 30 years and that is why PS is strong? How did they survive for so long and how didn't the corporate got fired?

No, but you've probably been twisting people's words for that long...

PortisheadBiscuit said:
DonFerrari said:

Sure sure, I'm the one that likes to take all merit of Sony winning 3 of 4 gen and putting it all as other console makers fault.

Train wreck said:
PortisheadBiscuit said:

Sony's mistakes with the PS3 and Vita lead to the switching of platforms for the top two, non Nintendo franchises in Monster Hunter and Dragon Quest in Japan.  Sony's lifeblood is 3rd party titles and without the two biggest, they struggled and Nintendo benefited.

Even if you factor that in, that is no where near as dire as Nintendo losing Square and other 3rd party developers during the 64 era. Sony definitely benefitted a lot more from Nintendo's mistakes during the 6th gen than vice versa at any point in the past.

DonFerrari said:
PortisheadBiscuit said:

Sure sure, I'm the one that likes to take all merit of Sony winning 3 of 4 gen and putting it all as other console makers fault.

Yes in your own head, because I never said that. You seem to be on a mission in this thread of accusing people of stealing Sony's merit. There are catalysts which occurred that assisted Sony in getting to the top. No one is saying they didnt play their cards right or put in work to get to the top, at least that's not what I'm getting at.