By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How Sony became king of consoles again

Dr.Vita said:
Alex_The_Hedgehog said:

No, you are the one wrong. Nintendo is not only about Pikachu and Mario.

What about Zelda? Geez, Nintendo 64 sold a lot less than the first Playstation and even so people acknowledges Ocarina of Time as one of the best games ever made. A Link to the past, the original Zelda, etc.

What about Metroid? The Game Cube was totally overshadowed by the Playstation 2 and yet, what is the most acclaimed First Person Shooter that gen? Metroid Prime. What about Super Metroid?

Well, judging by your history on VG Chartz, it's clear that you don't like Nintendo. But please, try to be a bit more reasonable.

Also, respect other people's opinion.

Ocarina of Time is claimed to be the best game ever mostly by Nintendo fans.

Metroid is not a very popular series among casual people and who defined it as the most acclaimed First Person Shooter that gen? This is mostly said by Nintendo fans. Even if this was true during PS2/Gamecube era First Person Shooter weren't that popular and they were not many of them. The big FIrst Party Shooter rise began during PS3/X360 era with Modern Warfare 1.

Where is the problem if I tell my honest opinion about Nintendo and their games? As long as I don't attack anyone or anything it should be fine to express how I feel about the company. As long as someone can explain his view in a reasonable way it should be no problem for him/her to express his/her opinion. And I really would like to know where I was not reasonable with my posts in this thread?

Sorry, my english is not very good, maybe I used the wrong words.

You may be right about mostly Nintendo fans praising OoT and Metroid Prime, but I know a lot of people that are not Nintendo fans and still they know about Zelda, Metroid, etc. Of course, it helps if you like the company, but I think anyone who is a casual gamer have at least heard about these games. That's my point.

I mean, I haven't played Horizon or God of War, but I know about them, because they are acclaimed games. The same way I know about Ocarina of Time and Metroid Prime Trilogy. And more recently DKC Returns.

Again, I'm sorry if I sounded offensive. That's my way of talking.

Around the Network
Azzanation said:
Barkley said:
The PS3 is still the 4th best selling home console of all time, only beaten by one non-sony machine, the Wii. They never really stopped being the king. They've never had a failed home console and by the end of the year, 4 out of 5 of the best selling home consoles will be PlayStations

That depends what you mean by win. If win you mean on sales figures than sure, in terms of profiting i wouldnt say Sony is king when it comes to profiting. Nintendo knows how to make money and i think Nintendo has a much better history when it comes to making money in the console market. PS3 might be the 4th best selling console however its up there as one of the worst profiting. Thats not entirely a win.

Do you know this, or just assume it?  

I tend to agree with you, but I have no real knowledge of their numbers during the PS3 years.  So, if you have some numbers, I'd love to hear them.  

Dr.Vita said:

Ocarina of Time is claimed to be the best game ever mostly by Nintendo fans.

Metroid is not a very popular series among casual people and who defined it as the most acclaimed First Person Shooter that gen? This is mostly said by Nintendo fans. Even if this was true during PS2/Gamecube era First Person Shooter weren't that popular and they were not many of them. The big FIrst Party Shooter rise began during PS3/X360 era with Modern Warfare 1.

Where is the problem if I tell my honest opinion about Nintendo and their games? As long as I don't attack anyone or anything it should be fine to express how I feel about the company. As long as someone can explain his view in a reasonable way it should be no problem for him/her to express his/her opinion. And I really would like to know where I was not reasonable with my posts in this thread?

I would argue that Halo was seen as the most acclaimed First Person Shooter of the PS2/GC/Xbox gen rather than Metroid, which I have would say not many know about today other than hardcore Nintendo Fans.

Alex_The_Hedgehog said:
Dr.Vita said:

You're right and he's wrong. It's the same thing as you desribed here in Europe, nobody knows the characters he named except Pikachu and Mario. And it's the same all around the world. Only people who own a Nintendo console or are familiar with Nintendo know the other. I guess that he owns a Nintendo console and most of his friends own one too so he grew up in an environment with these characters. It's difficult for him to realize that the others are not popular among casual people.

No, you are the one wrong. Nintendo is not only about Pikachu and Mario.

What about Zelda? Geez, Nintendo 64 sold a lot less than the first Playstation and even so people acknowledges Ocarina of Time as one of the best games ever made. A Link to the past, the original Zelda, etc.

What about Metroid? The Game Cube was totally overshadowed by the Playstation 2 and yet, what is the most acclaimed First Person Shooter that gen? Metroid Prime. What about Super Metroid?

Well, judging by your history on VG Chartz, it's clear that you don't like Nintendo. But please, try to be a bit more reasonable.

Also, respect other people's opinion.

Metroid is a really odd example. It might be highly regarded among gamers, but it has limited appeal (and by extension viability) outside of that market. Looking at it sales, I expect even a lot of Nintendo console owners (just normal ones, not fans) wouldn't know what exactly Metroid is.

VAMatt said:
Azzanation said:

That depends what you mean by win. If win you mean on sales figures than sure, in terms of profiting i wouldnt say Sony is king when it comes to profiting. Nintendo knows how to make money and i think Nintendo has a much better history when it comes to making money in the console market. PS3 might be the 4th best selling console however its up there as one of the worst profiting. Thats not entirely a win.

Do you know this, or just assume it?  

I tend to agree with you, but I have no real knowledge of their numbers during the PS3 years.  So, if you have some numbers, I'd love to hear them.  

Yeah, we know it from Sony's financial reports back in the day. It lost several billion in its first few years because they were selling it for a several hundred dollar loss (they heavily overestimated the value of blu-ray winning the format war, and of how costs would scale), and it's general regarded as a financial failure. Things did dramatically improve in the latter half of its life though, and it arguably paved the way for a lot of the PS4's financial success. So while it's easy to paint the PS3 as a complete financial failure, it's be more accurate to say Sony lost their damn minds from about 2006 to 2010

Around the Network
LiquorandGunFun said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

LOL

This LOL

MS fucked up. sony capitalized.

Really?  Don't know why people continue to put the "Microsoft fucked up Sony capitalized" mantra out there.

Two countries represented 70% of xbox 360 sales.  What would Sony capitalize on when they were already dominant in markets outside those two?

IMO playstation 4 was going to win this gen anyway as long as it launched at the same price as xbox not to mention the playstation brand has a bigger WW appeal but the xbox announcement made the competition too easy for sony. If sony doesn't make any mistake with the ps5, it should be an easy win next gen due to the huge mind share ps4 created.

This gen was just handed to Sony in a silver platter, to be honest, after both their competitors fucked up horribly.

edit: I still expect PS to win next gen because of it's worldwide appeal, but this time with a smaller margin.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

BraLoD said:
It never stopped being.

PS3 lost billions of dollars, took their marketshare from over 75% to less than 32%, and was outsold by the Wii. 

Unless you're talking about the subjective opinion of having the games/hardware you liked the most, Sony were not in any way the king of consoles last gen.

Shiken said:

Cause BotW totally plays like Skyward Sword.

And Mario Odyssey is totally just 3D land reskinned.

There are tons of games like Xenoblade.

Mario Plus Rabbids is totally like all other Mario games.

Splatoon was not in any way a new IP.

ARMs is just like every other fighting game.

/sarcasm

In all seriousness, your argument just sound bitter toward Nintendo and negatively affects your credibility as a whole.  Same for everyone that uses that tired stigma in a debate, as it shows how out of touch they are with the reality of the situation.

I think alot of people underestimate the budgets behind Nintendo games. Visusls are only a part of a games budget, and considering Nintendo are paying some of the best developers in the world to make there games than theres more than meets the eye with Nintendo, or better yet, dont judge a book by its cover works well here.

Nintendo also stated that Xeneblade X cost them a small fortune to make and Zelda BOTW being in production for years i will say is nothing short from cheap to make. There expensive in many other ways than just the polygons.