By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How Sony became king of consoles again

omarct said:
Miyamotoo said:

I have 3 from 4 PS4 home consoles (I didnt own only PS3), and I didnt had idea who are Sackboy, Aloy and Cole MacGrath.

"I have 3 from 4 PS4 home consoles (I didnt own only PS3)"? Excuse me? Sorry not sure what you were trying to say there, none the less I understood the rest of your sentence and it is why I said most not all. There are obviously many who didnt play Infamous 1 and 2(good games) or Horizon which is fairly new, but I would say a very large portion of PS3 users know who sackboy is as he was the mascot for the little big planet franchise which was fairly popular at the beginning of the PS3 era and had a few spin offs/sequels.

Point that only because I missed one Sony console and didnt still play one of newer PS4 games (Horizon) means that I dont know who are those characters, means that characters cant be mention like strong characters in any case. Not to mentione, that we have Infamous and Big Planet game on PS4 also, but you need to play those game in order to know who
Sackboy, Aloy and Cole MacGrath, on other hand you know who are characters like Luigi, Toad, Yoshi, Kirby, Donkey Kong, even if you didnt played those games.



Around the Network
GoOnKid said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Crash Bandicoot could have been iconic for them. They didn't buy it (or sacrifice any goats for it) though. That's got to be one of the biggest mistakes they've made.

I agree. To me, he's still a Playstation character.

Same here. It's why I didn't put my Switch version of the N.Sane Trilogy on the shelf with the rest of my games, but stuffed it away in a drawer.



Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments

RolStoppable said:
GoOnKid said:

I agree. To me, he's still a Playstation character.

Same here. It's why I didn't put my Switch version of the N.Sane Trilogy on the shelf with the rest of my games, but stuffed it away in a drawer.

You should have bought the PS4 verson instead. I thought you owned one, no?



Ka-pi96 said:
GoOnKid said:

Sony would sacrifice goats for a character as iconic as Mario. This is basic business sense. If your product is hot, you use it as often as you can. There is nothing wrong about that.

What do you think is the reason they simply don't do it as much as Nintendo does? Why is Sony not trying to establish a character who could scratch on Mario's popularity? I'll give you a hint: they tried, and they can't.

Crash Bandicoot could have been iconic for them. They didn't buy it (or sacrifice any goats for it) though. That's got to be one of the biggest mistakes they've made.

Not really.  Sega has a top five (maybe higher) iconic mascot in Sonic and it didn't prevent their demise in the console business.  People like what they know.  Playstation is in its 25th year, they have enough good will and consistency to earn the trust of buyers everywhere.  They don't need a mascot.



Train wreck said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Crash Bandicoot could have been iconic for them. They didn't buy it (or sacrifice any goats for it) though. That's got to be one of the biggest mistakes they've made.

Not really.  Sega has a top five (maybe higher) iconic mascot in Sonic and it didn't prevent their demise in the console business.  People like what they know.  Playstation is in its 25th year, they have enough good will and consistency to earn the trust of buyers everywhere.  They don't need a mascot.

No, they don't need it. But it still would have been nice for them to have had it. Would have been nice for us gamers too, considering they probably would have kept the Crash franchise good, which is more than can be said for the string of devs that Universal/Activision had working on it.



Around the Network

When this generation is all said and done; this .gif sums it up quite well.



Sony want to make money by selling art, Nintendo want to make money by selling fun, Microsoft want to make money.

When I start thinking about it, Nintendo has these old as hell IPs in Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon. But at the end of the day it has been their handheld consoles(most kids have/had a DS/gameboy in the USA) with their kid friendly games and variety that has kept them afloat. Nintendo 64 did horribly compared to ps1, Gamecube did horribly compared to PS2, The wii was the one exception which crushed PS3(but it had nothing to do with the games/IPs), The WiiU was one of the worst selling consoles of all time and was crushed by the PS4. Now they are back to trying with the switch, a handheld hybrid which is doing very well, and we will see how it compares to Sony's next console.

Overall it seems to me that their parents loved handhelds along with the massive income they get from the toys and merchandising from these IPs are much more important than the income from the home console games themselves. I don't know how Sony could ever compete in that department with Nintendo, they are so far behind that they are not even comparable. Nintendo's kid friendly image has been their biggest blessing and has allowed them to become a gaming behemoth even with all their failures.

I think Nintendo would be shooting themselves in the foot by not releasing another handheld targeting the younger audience. The current Switch is simply too bulky I feel, but who knows.



Lesianimanalo said:
Miyamotoo said:

No, thats is general consensus, fact is that those games and characters are much familiar on market in any case generally than Sony characters, I mean even few time most of those Nintendo IPs were even in MC in Happy Meal, you can say same thing for Kratos and Drake. :) I mean there is much higher possibility that some person that not at all in gaming headed for some of Nintendo characters while did not heard for not single Sony characters.

Really? from where i am Pikachu and Mario are the only recognizable characters from those you mentioned.


You're right and he's wrong. It's the same thing as you desribed here in Europe, nobody knows the characters he named except Pikachu and Mario. And it's the same all around the world. Only people who own a Nintendo console or are familiar with Nintendo know the other. I guess that he owns a Nintendo console and most of his friends own one too so he grew up in an environment with these characters. It's difficult for him to realize that the others are not popular among casual people.



omarct said:

When I start thinking about it, Nintendo has these old as hell IPs in Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon. But at the end of the day it has been their handheld consoles(most kids have/had a DS/gameboy in the USA) with their kid friendly games and variety that has kept them afloat. Nintendo 64 did horribly compared to ps1, Gamecube did horribly compared to PS2, The wii was the one exception which crushed PS3(but it had nothing to do with the games/IPs), The WiiU was one of the worst selling consoles of all time and was crushed by the PS4. Now they are back to trying with the switch, a handheld hybrid which is doing very well, and we will see how it compares to Sony's next console.

Overall it seems to me that their parents loved handhelds along with the massive income they get from the toys and merchandising from these IPs are much more important than the income from the home console games themselves. I don't know how Sony could ever compete in that department with Nintendo, they are so far behind that they are not even comparable. Nintendo's kid friendly image has been their biggest blessing and has allowed them to become a gaming behemoth even with all their failures.

I think Nintendo would be shooting themselves in the foot by not releasing another handheld targeting the younger audience. The current Switch is simply too bulky I feel, but who knows.

Nintendo would shoot themselves in the foot if they released another handheld that's not part of Switch platform, but Nintendo will most likly in any case release smaller and cheaper Switch that will be aimed primarily to kids.



Dr.Vita said:
Lesianimanalo said:

Really? from where i am Pikachu and Mario are the only recognizable characters from those you mentioned.

You're right and he's wrong. It's the same thing as you desribed here in Europe, nobody knows the characters he named except Pikachu and Mario. And it's the same all around the world. Only people who own a Nintendo console or are familiar with Nintendo know the other. I guess that he owns a Nintendo console and most of his friends own one too so he grew up in an environment with these characters. It's difficult for him to realize that the others are not popular among casual people.

Coming from person that said Sackboy, Aloy, Cole MacGrath are popular characters, dont put too much faith and sense in your post. :D

I own PS1, PS2, PSP and PS4 when we talk about PS consoles. Hole gaming market knows about all characters that I mentioned and actualy plenty of people outside gaming because you have merchandise, toys, even Nintendo characters toys in Happy Meals, but same cant be said for characters that you mentioned.

No, it's difficult for you to realise that Nintendo characters and IPs can be more popular than Sonys, in recent time you had too many salty posts regardless Nintendo and Switch and how time is passing you will have more and more of them. :)

 

User Warned By ~PwerlvlAmy

Last edited by PwerlvlAmy - on 25 September 2018