By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Playstation Classic Announced, releasing in December 3rd with 20 games pre-loaded and cost $99

Whoa! Great news!

Already preordered :)

Around the Network
KLXVER said:

The PS3 cost about 700 bucks to make. As in the components and manufacturing cost about 700 US dollars. Jesus Christ...

A large percentage of a chips final production costs is averaged out because of the Millions/Billions in R&D. - And not just the chips R&D either, but fabrication R&D as well.
Essentially they need to recoup those R&D costs... And that is reflected in the final selling price.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

I would like to see the full list of games. There are really only a handful of games from the PS1/N64 era that I remember fondly and have aged well. Generation 5 games in general do not age well.

One game that I would actually buy the console for: Final Fantasy Tactics but with the full PSP version included. I would rather have this on a mini console than fool with the PSP.

That cable length on the controllers looks real short.

I had expected this but for some reason still somewhat surprised.

Around the Network

Where's the full list? So many iconic titles they could include on there, hope the choose wisely.

Signature goes here!

The rhetoric in this thread alone means that this product will be successful. Sorry haters.

RenCutypoison said:
KLXVER said:

Its just a physical emulator with some roms. Probably 10 bucks to manufacture at the most.

You can't even build a scientific calculator with BASIC language support for 10 bucks. Even if the power is "cheap", there are still costs you can't cut off. And it's not some chinese bootleg console, people are expecting a good build quality, a glitchy (even mini) console would be terrible press for Sony.

There are also marketing, research, distribution and publishers' royalties costs and accessories to account for. Manufacturing cost isn't everything. It's extremely cheap.

I agree. The controllers probably cost more, people underestimate the work going into good controllers.

I wouldn't say these retor-consoles are cheap, but it's not $10 worth either. Main reason I get neither of these is, that I hate to have so much devices. I take the NES-games in the Nintendo-online subscription and hate the fact Switch no longer has Virtual Console.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

TruckOSaurus said:
Where's the full list? So many iconic titles they could include on there, hope the choose wisely.

So far only these five are known:

Final Fantasy VII
Jumping Flash
Ridge Racer Type 4
Tekken 3
Wild Arm

I wonder if any PlayStation controller can work on this?