By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Switch Online Cloud Saves are Deleted after a Grace Period if Subscription is not Renewed

Sooo if you subscribe back your games will be saved to the cloud?

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Around the Network

Deleting your cloud save backups doesn't mean it deletes your main saves off your local drive - the reaction people are having sounds like they think that is the case.

Cloud saves for Switch are basically an automatic fail-safe backup option. They're not your actual saves, just the restoration data in case your Switch is lost or broken.

In addition, they never said that they would be deleted immediately after, just that they could not guarantee how long they would remain around after the user stops the service; which makes sense since why would Nintendo be obligated to maintain a premium service you aren't paying for?

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

John2290 said:
Jumpin said:

Deleting your cloud save backups doesn't mean it deletes your main saves off your local drive - the reaction people are having sounds like they think that is the case.

Cloud saves for Switch are basically an automatic fail-safe backup option. They're not your actual saves, just the restoration data in case your Switch is lost or broken.

In addition, they never said that they would be deleted immediately after, just that they could not guarantee how long they would remain around after the user stops the service; which makes sense since why would Nintendo be obligated to maintain a premium service you aren't paying for?

I doubt anyone thinks that and it's called a grace period for a reason, they aren't obliged to do so but some good will goes a long way. 

I have no doubts they actually believe that. Because if they are getting this worked up by no longer getting a completely non-vital service because they no longer pay for it, then this level of overreaction is even more nonsensical; we're not 2 year olds here =P

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Updated thread title, but I’m on my phone and can’t verify the update, so submit a report if it needs to be updated to something else.

OT: Seems crappy but it sounds like competing services do the same, not that it absolves Nintendo or anything. I’m sure OP finds those services flawed as well, as we all should.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

Ljink96 said:
MrWayne said:

Well cloud saves on XBox and PC don't cost anything...

Well of course they don't on PC. Xbox is run by Microsoft they're kind of obligated to embrace cloud storage as they now have their own cloud storage service and give 5GB away for free for any microsoft account. This is a company bigger than Sony and Nintendo combined. They better not cost anything on Xbox. Cloud storage isn't just something that happens, that data has to be stored somewhere and on something. For $20 I don't think we can really ask for more from Nintendo. Up the price and maybe. Financially and technically Nintendo is not Microsoft, so I don't think we can expect them to do the exact same things Microsoft does for what they're charging.

Can you elaborate on that? It's not like Console manufacturer are the only ones who have to pay for their servers.

There's exactly one reason why Sony and Nintendo charging money for cloud saves and it's exactly the same reason why they charging money for online play.
BECAUSE THEY CAN

Around the Network
MrWayne said:
Ljink96 said:

Well of course they don't on PC. Xbox is run by Microsoft they're kind of obligated to embrace cloud storage as they now have their own cloud storage service and give 5GB away for free for any microsoft account. This is a company bigger than Sony and Nintendo combined. They better not cost anything on Xbox. Cloud storage isn't just something that happens, that data has to be stored somewhere and on something. For $20 I don't think we can really ask for more from Nintendo. Up the price and maybe. Financially and technically Nintendo is not Microsoft, so I don't think we can expect them to do the exact same things Microsoft does for what they're charging.

Can you elaborate on that? It's not like Console manufacturer are the only ones who have to pay for their servers.

There's exactly one reason why Sony and Nintendo charging money for cloud saves and it's exactly the same reason why they charging money for online play.
BECAUSE THEY CAN

Well...you can manually back up your own saves on PC (Especially with Steam) if you know where to look. I just found my Dragon Quest XI saves on My Documents folder. People have been doing it for years. From here, there's tons of free cloud based services you can use to back it up manually. Like OneDrive, Mega, GDrive, Dropbox, etc. Onedrive even updates it automatically.

Last edited by Ljink96 - on 14 September 2018

Ljink96 said:
MrWayne said:

BECAUSE THEY CAN

Well...you can manually back up your own saves on PC (Especially with Steam) if you know where to look. I just found my Dragon Quest XI saves on My Documents folder. People have been doing it for years. From here, there's tons of free cloud based services you can use to back it up manually. Like OneDrive, Mega, GDrive, Dropbox, etc. Onedrive even updates it automatically.

My point was that you can save all your data in the Steam cloud without paying a single cent to valve. The same goes for Battlenet. You can't argue that valve or Activision-Blizzard are bigger than sony and nintendo combined.

All of us have known all along that Nintendo's online service was going to suck. And, upon further review, all of us were correct. With that said, Nintendo is under no obligation to provide service to people that aren't paying for it. So, any kind of grace period is fair, IMO. Of course, a longer grace period is better, and will probably lead to fewer people rage quitting From their online service in the future.

Actually, I'm not sure that Sony deletes the saves after 6 months...
I stopped paying my sub before coming to Japan, and I didn't buy a new console here (and new sub) for more than a year. And if I remember correctly, I was able to get my saves back when I subscribed again.
I'm not 100% sure because I used remote play while my sub was off so I asked my family to put the latest saves in the clouds when I subscribed again. But I'm pretty sure I got all my old saves back before they took care of the newest ones.

MrWayne said:
Ljink96 said:

My point was that you can save all your data in the Steam cloud without paying a single cent to valve. The same goes for Battlenet. You can't argue that valve or Activision-Blizzard are bigger than sony and nintendo combined.

Well, you're right there. Kinda strange that that service exists though as it isn't a necessity. Must be an East vs. West thing. How they manage their profit margins vs. upfront cost per cloud save account is beyond me.