By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Switch Online Cloud Saves are Deleted after a Grace Period if Subscription is not Renewed

MrWayne said:
Dravenet7 said:
Ok, so this isn't as bad as the OP desired to mislead.

Hopefully this potentially is, at least on par with Sony;s 6 months (though yes that length is still an issue but at least that's actually free to use).

Nonetheless, there are already people here doing the exact same thing as I predicted they would in this circumstance. We're already at what I believed to be the end of the slippery slope. I feel like this some sort of bizarre fever dream
Today feels like some sort of weird fever dream.

Am I one of the people you mention?

Let's be honest, depending on how long the period between the end of the subscription and the deletion of stored data (Nintendo should really clarify this) this is the worst cloud-safe service out of the 3 consoles.
But that's it, I do not see why I should be outraged.
No one was tricked or taken something away.

Yeah they're the worst...they cost $20 a year...did we expect it to be on par with the others? I hope not...not for $20.

Around the Network

Not a good thing.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

SpokenTruth said:
Can a mod contact Kazuma and request he alter the thread. The title and information are wholly misleading.

You can message him yourself, no need for mod, unless you want the mod himself to change the title and/or OP.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

MrWayne said:

Let's be honest, depending on how long the period between the end of the subscription and the deletion of stored data (Nintendo should really clarify this) this is the worst cloud-safe service out of the 3 consoles.

Yep, but there were others and I didn't like the idea of targeting/single someone out merely to justify the point I was trying to make.

I also said that depending on how long the time-frame of service deletion, this potentially not the worst case scenario.

No one said you have to be outraged, but you shouldn't be complacent just because the bad service was designed to be a bad service. It doesn't matter if you were tricked or not, Nintendo is not even being clear on the terms of service on cloud saves, hence the continual confusion.

Ljink96 said:
MrWayne said:

Yeah they're the worst...they cost $20 a year...did we expect it to be on par with the others? I hope not...not for $20.

Well cloud saves on XBox and PC don't cost anything...

Around the Network
Dravenet7 said:
MrWayne said:

Yep, but there were others and I didn't like the idea of targeting/single someone out merely to justify the point I was trying to make.

I also said that depending on how long the time-frame of service deletion, this potentially not the worst case scenario.

No one said you have to be outraged, but you shouldn't be complacent just because the bad service was designed to be a bad service. It doesn't matter if you were tricked or not, Nintendo is not even being clear on the terms of service on cloud saves, hence the continual confusion.

I was not complacent in my first comment. I was just bewildered why people were surprised that Nintendo will erase safe data. It's the logical conclusion when cloud saves are a feature of the online subscription.

MrWayne said:
Ljink96 said:

Well cloud saves on XBox and PC don't cost anything...

Well of course they don't on PC. Xbox is run by Microsoft they're kind of obligated to embrace cloud storage as they now have their own cloud storage service and give 5GB away for free for any microsoft account. This is a company bigger than Sony and Nintendo combined. They better not cost anything on Xbox. Cloud storage isn't just something that happens, that data has to be stored somewhere and on something. For $20 I don't think we can really ask for more from Nintendo. Up the price and maybe. Financially and technically Nintendo is not Microsoft, so I don't think we can expect them to do the exact same things Microsoft does for what they're charging.

bananaking21 said:
Ljink96 said:

Sony deletes them too...but granted, they do allow local backups and so did Nintendo with Wii U. I don't get why they're acting all incompetent all of a sudden. 

They delete them after 6 months. Still I agree it's shitty. Grace period should be at least a year IMO

This means that if you forgot to renew your subscription, all your shit is lost. It's nonsense. Heck if your just waiting for payday to come and want to renew then it means everything you have is gone if the sub ends. 

I was scared the other day when I popped back in a Pokemon game and went to my bank. My subscription had run out. No idea when or how long ago. Was like, I hope to god they didn't delete my stuff.

It was all still there. 

So I would be less jumpy in regards to them pulling the plug seconds after not renewing. 

But regardless of when and if they delete saves, they better send a notice to my email. No BS fortnite shit where you find out afterwards that because of some action you got fucked out of something.

I don't get all the hate with online and Nintendo though.

It's only $20. To me that price covers just playing online multiplayer only. We live in an age where online costs money. That's that. Subscriptions for everything. Netflix, hulu, amazon, live tv, espn, abc, ect. It's just another sub to let one play online. For $20 that is fine.

On top of it though, I get to play 20 NES games and more coming. I figure anything over just flat out online play at $20 is a win.

Besides, haven' tpeople been begging Nintendo to have a paid online for years now. Just like how they begged NIntendo to do DLC for years before they did. Then as soon as they do, people bitch again.

lol This shitty service just gets worse and worse by the day.