By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Spider-Man Crushing God Of War In Some Regions

Qwark said:
Pretty impressive but God of War also has great legs, it can still be found in or near the top 10 worldwide. For everyone claiming this is about market appeal. Batman is more popular than Spiderman yet the Arkham games never did these kind of numbers. Sony marketed the shit out of this and it paid off,because the game looks great and plays great. Sure it helped that Spidey is the protagonist. Although I doubt it will outsell GOW in the long run.

Actually, that's not true. Batman is considered more iconic than Spider-man. But he's not more popular. Superman is considered most iconic, with Batman being the second. And Spider-man being the third.

As for more popular, for every one Batman item that gets sold, almost 10 Spider-Man products get sold. So Spider-man is the more popular character. To go even further, Spider-man is the most profitable superhero on the planet.

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/spider-man/spider-man-is-worlds-most-profitable-superhero-and-its-not-even-close-a111109

Around the Network

Sony competing amongst itself? Well as long as other PlayStation developers are saying "Hold my beer, watch this" then I'm okay with it.

Like someone said, Spiderman being a bigger IP in general doesn't directly relate to better sales in videogame media. Look at anime games sales, even the biggest franchises don't get as big as top sellers in the media, or Harry Potter, that don't get great sales at all.

OT, Japan won't tell that much about impact of a ps4 game unless it's a Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest or MH, but UK sales could be a similar rate as in the US, so maybe it beat GOW there too.

Replicant said:

More data.

Italy (yes, that's the multiplat chart):
1. Spider-Man (PS4)
2. Pro Evolution Soccer 2019 (PS4)
3. F1 2018 (PS4)
4. Dragon Quest XI (PS4)
5. Gran Turismo Sport (PS4)
6. Fifa 18 (PS4)
7. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (PS4)
8. The Last of Us Remastered (PS4)
9. Detroit: Became Human (PS4)
10. Minecraft: Playstation 4 Edition (PS4)

UK (2nd week):
1. Spider-Man
2. Shadow of the Tomb Raider
3. NBA 2K19
4. Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy
5. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
6. Grand Theft Auto V
7. F1 2018
8. The Elder Scrolls Online
9. Lego The Incredibles
10. Super Mario Odyssey

Japan (2nd week):
1. Spider-Man (PS4)
2. Shadow of the Tomb Raider (PS4)
3. Conan Outcasts (PS4)
4. MineCraft (Switch)
5. NBA2K19 (PS4)
6. Pro Evolution Soccer 2019 (PS4)
7. Pokémon Ultramoon (3DS)
8. Pokémon Ultrasun (3DS)
9. Labo Toy-Con 03: Vehicle Kit (Switch)
10 Undertale (Switch)

DonFerrari said:

On position lists I have little doubt it will be N1 for the week in almost all. But I'm talking more about how it done compared to GoW so we can best guess FW.

Can't wait to see Spider-Man's FW but we probably won't know more about numbers or performance compared to GOW before official statements from Sony or NPD are released. At least, we know that Spider-Man is already close to surpass GOW lifetime in the UK:

"Spider-Man retains its No.1 spot for a second week. Impressively, the Sony game's week two sales are down just 42% compared to its launch week, and it's already on the brink of eclipsing the (lifetime) sales of the last big PS4 exclusive: God of War."

Yes this second week of Spiderman on Japan and UK is very good indeed. To outsell lifetime of GoW with 2 weeks of sale is crazy stuff.

3-5M FW isn't totally impossible anymore.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

dexterlablab1 said:
Qwark said:
Pretty impressive but God of War also has great legs, it can still be found in or near the top 10 worldwide. For everyone claiming this is about market appeal. Batman is more popular than Spiderman yet the Arkham games never did these kind of numbers. Sony marketed the shit out of this and it paid off,because the game looks great and plays great. Sure it helped that Spidey is the protagonist. Although I doubt it will outsell GOW in the long run.

Actually, that's not true. Batman is considered more iconic than Spider-man. But he's not more popular. Superman is considered most iconic, with Batman being the second. And Spider-man being the third.

As for more popular, for every one Batman item that gets sold, almost 10 Spider-Man products get sold. So Spider-man is the more popular character. To go even further, Spider-man is the most profitable superhero on the planet.

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/spider-man/spider-man-is-worlds-most-profitable-superhero-and-its-not-even-close-a111109

Damn spiderman is profitable I wonder why though. Nevertheless this is probably already the best selling Spider-Man game to date. 

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Around the Network

We got data from France now as well.

France (yes, that's the multiplat chart):
1. Spider-Man (PS4, Standard Edition)
2. Spider-Man (PS4, Special Edition)
3. Dragon Quest XI (PS4)
4. NBA 2K19 (PS4)
5. Pro Evolution Soccer 2019 (PS4)

alternine said:
GOWTLOZ said:
Spiderman is the most popular superhero. No matter what you think, he's more popular than Batman, Iron Man and Captain America. The game is pretty good and has pretty graphics which makes it appealing to the masses. Its open world while God of War is linear. Spiderman is a standalone game and not a sequel to a long lineup of games like God of War so there is no story catching to do for new players.

On top of that, Avengers Infinity War came this year and Spidey had a major role in the film. It made 2.2 billion dollars. He died in the most tragic moment in the film. Many people are just happy to have him again, alive in a game.

There is too much reason for Spiderman to sell more. On top of all this, God of war is a niche series in UK and japan, the only countries where we have any data. Its mostly popular in North America, Latin America and the BRICS countries.

Nothing wrong with a game being linear. Can we stop with that nonsense already?

Never said it was? I pointed to it being linear because open world have more mass appeal, and if you were reading carefully all the points I mentioned favour Spiderman in sales over God of War, it being open world is among those points.

Intrinsic said:
GOWTLOZ said:
Spiderman is the most popular superhero. No matter what you think, he's more popular than Batman, Iron Man and Captain America. The game is pretty good and has pretty graphics which makes it appealing to the masses. Its open world while God of War is linear. Spiderman is a standalone game and not a sequel to a long lineup of games like God of War so there is no story catching to do for new players.

On top of that, Avengers Infinity War came this year and Spidey had a major role in the film. It made 2.2 billion dollars. He died in the most tragic moment in the film. Many people are just happy to have him again, alive in a game.

There is too much reason for Spiderman to sell more. On top of all this, God of war is a niche series in UK and japan, the only countries where we have any data. Its mostly popular in North America, Latin America and the BRICS countries.

Nope. Superman is the most popular hero. Its just hard making a good movie for him and even harder or near impossible making a good game lol.

Superman is the most well known, but not popular these days.

Otter said:

Ah, people are really undermining the games achievements by casually throwing out "Spiderman is really popular"... Ok, so we would have bet on this being the top selling exclusive of 2018 when it was first revealed last year? And yeah, we know Spiderman is popular (never managed to outgross Batman at the box-office though) but Comic Book games have never been generation top sellers, so if this game manages to enter that category that will be really impressive.

As much as I love original stories, I'd love to see more top tier developers tackle books, films & TV shows which could be turned into amazing gaming titles with the right budget and talent (Harry Potter comes to mind). 

Spiderman played a huge part in Avengers Infinity War which was a 2.2 billion grosser released a few months back. Ofc he is more popular now and it helps that the game is good. Batman Arkham City was a gen top seller and Spiderman will sell similar numbers. Batman Arkham City sold 5 million in 3 months who knows where its at now.

If Sony makes a deal to transfer Spider Man to disney in movies for the marvel catalog exclusivity in games, will be a hugeeee for both.

When do you guys think the first week sales will be reported?
It came out almost 2 weeks ago, I’m so curious to know the WW impact *.*
Ps: I predict at least 3M

Nathan1992 said:
When do you guys think the first week sales will be reported?
It came out almost 2 weeks ago, I’m so curious to know the WW impact *.*
Ps: I predict at least 3M

We'll probably get official numbers Soony® as in this or next week. Maybe they prefer to announce first month sales.

But it's certainly shaping up to be a huge hit. Benji (US sales insider) says that 15 mill is probably the floor now.