By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Spiderman Creative Director, Bryan Intihar has a message for those complaining about Spiderman exclusivity.

Well, obviously. They said the same thing about Sunset and MS. I’d wager literally every third party company contracted to work with these companies would say the same thing.

Here is a post by James Stevenson about the SM deal on Resetera that does a better job propping Sony up regarding their ability to support big SP games (rightfully so, of course): https://www.resetera.com/threads/microsoft-studios-ot2-the-best-is-yet-to-come.48137/page-62#post-10834857

Around the Network
twintail said:
KLXVER said:
Seems kinda like the Bayonetta 2 situation.

Marvel coming to Sony to ask about publishing a game from their IP list and then getting Insomniac to make a game with a character of their choice, and Platinum shopping around an unfinished game to Nintendo are not quite the same thing.

Bayo 2  and 3 would not exist if it wasn't for nintendo, so it is the same thing,no matter how much people try to down play it. Its the truth and we all benefit from both what this Bryan dude said with Sony and Bayo with Nintendo. 

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

KLXVER said:
Runa216 said:

Can you even read my signature? I have everything, but the reason I never PLAY the Xbox is that it doesn't have much in terms of variety (shooters and racers galore, as far as exclusives are concerned.) And Nintendo is almost all family friendly stuff. I have nearly 40 Switch games, and outside of Skyrim and Bayonetta, they're all family friendly or retro inspired. (Bayonetta is the only rated M exclusive) 

Again its about what YOU own. Not what is actually available on the systems. Just like when people say Sony only makes linear story driven interactive "movies" instead of actual games. Its all in the eye of the beholder.

IT's not that at all. I'm saying that, when you look at the exclusive lists and what sells on each console (Just check out the sales charts here on VGC), I'm right. There is no matter of arguing, the best selling and highest reviewed Nintendo games are all family friendly and/or platformers. The best selling exclusives on Xbox are all shooters and racing games (With a hint of some RPGs back when Fable was still a thing). But with Sony, you get stuff all across the board from action/adventure shooters (Uncharted) to mythological action fantasy (God of War), to cartoony platformers (Ratchet & Clank), to Open World Post Apocalyptic dino robot adventures (Horizon: Zero Dawn), to gritty fantasy games (Bloodborne), to atmospheric boss puzzle games (Shadow of the Colossus), to Victorian fantasy steampunk shooters (The Order 1886), to Fantasy puzzle games (The Last Guardian), to Zombie Survival (The LAst of Us), to Superhero games (inFamous and Spider-Man), to FPS titles (Killzone), to toony side-scrolling level-building platformers (LittlebigPlanet 3), to Racing titles (Gran turismo), and so many things in between. 

Not all of these games were huge successes, not all of them were critical darlings, but they all were somewhere different on the spectrum of genres and maturity ratings. In there you have everything from E-M, and I don't see that trend changing. 

Personally, I think Nintendo has the BEST exclusives (I've played more Zelda, Mario Odyssey, and Octopath Traveler in the past year and a half than any other games and I have no doubt Smash will hold my attention for thousands of hours), but Sony's lineup is far more diverse. 

Some people need to stop looking to make everything tribalistic. Videogames aren't a zero-sum experience. Liking one thing doesn't mean I can't also like other things. I'm looking at this purely from an objective position. And while I don't personally care much for Halo/Gears/Forza, you can't convince me that's not the crux of Microsoft's exclusive lineup. They're all good games that sell well, just not for me, personally. My opinion is irrelevant on the matter, but don't try to pretend that's not the image that Xbox has cultivated. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Runa216 said:
KLXVER said:

Again its about what YOU own. Not what is actually available on the systems. Just like when people say Sony only makes linear story driven interactive "movies" instead of actual games. Its all in the eye of the beholder.

IT's not that at all. I'm saying that, when you look at the exclusive lists and what sells on each console (Just check out the sales charts here on VGC), I'm right. There is no matter of arguing, the best selling and highest reviewed Nintendo games are all family friendly and/or platformers. The best selling exclusives on Xbox are all shooters and racing games (With a hint of some RPGs back when Fable was still a thing). But with Sony, you get stuff all across the board from action/adventure shooters (Uncharted) to mythological action fantasy (God of War), to cartoony platformers (Ratchet & Clank), to Open World Post Apocalyptic dino robot adventures (Horizon: Zero Dawn), to gritty fantasy games (Bloodborne), to atmospheric boss puzzle games (Shadow of the Colossus), to Victorian fantasy steampunk shooters (The Order 1886), to Fantasy puzzle games (The Last Guardian), to Zombie Survival (The LAst of Us), to Superhero games (inFamous and Spider-Man), to FPS titles (Killzone), to toony side-scrolling level-building platformers (LittlebigPlanet 3), to Racing titles (Gran turismo), and so many things in between. 

Not all of these games were huge successes, not all of them were critical darlings, but they all were somewhere different on the spectrum of genres and maturity ratings. In there you have everything from E-M, and I don't see that trend changing. 

Personally, I think Nintendo has the BEST exclusives (I've played more Zelda, Mario Odyssey, and Octopath Traveler in the past year and a half than any other games and I have no doubt Smash will hold my attention for thousands of hours), but Sony's lineup is far more diverse. 

Some people need to stop looking to make everything tribalistic. Videogames aren't a zero-sum experience. Liking one thing doesn't mean I can't also like other things. I'm looking at this purely from an objective position. And while I don't personally care much for Halo/Gears/Forza, you can't convince me that's not the crux of Microsoft's exclusive lineup. They're all good games that sell well, just not for me, personally. My opinion is irrelevant on the matter, but don't try to pretend that's not the image that Xbox has cultivated. 

Ok, so now its about exclusives and how much they sell? Youre right that Nintendo games sell the most on Nintendo consoles. That's fair enough. That doesn't mean it doesn't have many other types of genres. Same with Xbox One. The PS4 is by far the best selling system. Of course it will have better sales across various games. Switch and XB1 has those genres as well. Theyre just not marketed with the same budget as Sony does. 

RolStoppable said:
Runa216 said:

Your fundamental error is that you break down Sony's games to the smallest of subcategories while you lump Nintendo's game output into the very broad category of family-friendly. Such a point of view isn't even remotely close to an objective position.

You make the same mistake with Xbox.

There's no fundamental error there. My point was to show that with Sony there is a broader spectrum at play. There are stuff for kids and teens and adults, there are shooters and racers and platformers and adventure games and robot dinosaurs. 

Nintendo's games heavily fall back onto similar tropes. Even their shooters are super pastel and kid-friendly (Splatoon is awesome, but it doesn't look or feel too thematically different from Mario or Kirby, at least not at a casual glance.) I'm not saying this is a bad thing, so I don't know why you're so upset, but it's very much so true. The only Nintendo exclusives that really buck this trend are Metroid, Zelda (To a small degree) and Bayonetta. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

Around the Network
KLXVER said:

Ok, so now its about exclusives and how much they sell? Youre right that Nintendo games sell the most on Nintendo consoles. That's fair enough. That doesn't mean it doesn't have many other types of genres. Same with Xbox One. The PS4 is by far the best selling system. Of course it will have better sales across various games. Switch and XB1 has those genres as well. Theyre just not marketed with the same budget as Sony does. 

You really will do anything to miss the point, won't you? 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

Runa216 said:
KLXVER said:

You really will do anything to miss the point, won't you? 

Im not trying to. Guess I just have a gift...a really shitty gift.

RolStoppable said:
Runa216 said:

There's no fundamental error there. My point was to show that with Sony there is a broader spectrum at play. There are stuff for kids and teens and adults, there are shooters and racers and platformers and adventure games and robot dinosaurs. 

Nintendo's games heavily fall back onto similar tropes. Even their shooters are super pastel and kid-friendly (Splatoon is awesome, but it doesn't look or feel too thematically different from Mario or Kirby, at least not at a casual glance.) I'm not saying this is a bad thing, so I don't know why you're so upset, but it's very much so true. The only Nintendo exclusives that really buck this trend are Metroid, Zelda (To a small degree) and Bayonetta. 

Why don't you go beyond a casual glance?

Because I don't need to. Even when you look deeper, Nintendo games have a similarly family friendly appeal, and a lot of their games are platformers. They have more variety than Microsoft, but nowhere near the variety of Sony. This is just how it is. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

You know what might have been easier? Something like 'Geez, half of Nintendo's games have MArio in them!"

Mario Kart
Smash Brothers
Mario + Rabbids
Mario Odyssey

Like those four alone will all be massive sellers and within the system's top 10 by year end. All of em have mario in them, don't they?

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

Runa216 said:
You know what might have been easier? Something like 'Geez, half of Nintendo's games have MArio in them!"

Mario Kart
Smash Brothers
Mario + Rabbids
Mario Odyssey

Like those four alone will all be massive sellers and within the system's top 10 by year end. All of em have mario in them, don't they?

Yes and all of them are very different genres...