By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Spiderman Creative Director, Bryan Intihar has a message for those complaining about Spiderman exclusivity.

KLXVER said:
Runa216 said:

Almost everything on Nintendo is platformer or family friendly with very few exceptions. 

Almost everything on Xbox is gritty, realistic, or masculine with very few exceptions. 

Let me take a wild guess. You only own a PS4, don't you?

I guess you didn't notice his sig? :)

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Around the Network

That's cool that Sony stood back and allowed them to work away and make the game as the dev wanted to and not push their publisher power too much, but at the same time with less proven devs it can help to have a large company step in and give some guiding advice or some just down right "do that instead" moments, think about it like this, we wouldn't really have the Halo franchise as it is today (or probably at all) if it wasn't for MS stepping in and taking Bungie away from Apple and being very hands on as the game evolved from the RTS to Third person shooter, to Halo.

I'm just saying, sometimes a publisher needs to do more than just sign a cheque.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

twintail said:
KLXVER said:
Seems kinda like the Bayonetta 2 situation.

Marvel coming to Sony to ask about publishing a game from their IP list and then getting Insomniac to make a game with a character of their choice, and Platinum shopping around an unfinished game to Nintendo are not quite the same thing.

lol ok.

COKTOE said:
KLXVER said:

I guess you didn't notice his sig? :)

If he has then hes the one only buying platformers and gritty games for the consoles.

I guess Bryan Intihar has to make this statement, because some people don't really understand how a first party title works. The drawback to first party games is that they are exclusive. The biggest advantage of a first party game is that you actually have one of the big 3 funding/supporting/backing your game. That is a really big advantage.

I am not surprised at all that this Spider-Man game is getting great reviews. It has Sony backing it. Sony made sure that that the game ends up being a high quality, polished game. A lot of previous Spider-Man games were made by third party companies just trying to make a quick buck on a popular IP. It's not like we've never had a Spider-Man game before. But now that it is a Sony, first party exclusive, then the quality shoots up all of the sudden. This isn't a coincidence.

Around the Network
Ganoncrotch said:
That's cool that Sony stood back and allowed them to work away and make the game as the dev wanted to and not push their publisher power too much, but at the same time with less proven devs it can help to have a large company step in and give some guiding advice or some just down right "do that instead" moments, think about it like this, we wouldn't really have the Halo franchise as it is today (or probably at all) if it wasn't for MS stepping in and taking Bungie away from Apple and being very hands on as the game evolved from the RTS to Third person shooter, to Halo.

I'm just saying, sometimes a publisher needs to do more than just sign a cheque.

Are you suggesting that SONY only signs cheques?

"The rumours of my death have been greatly exaggerated."

- Single-player Game

Runa216 said:
VAMatt said:
This is nice and all, but how often do you hear a developer complain about the companies supporting their work? People generally don't want to bite the hand that feeds them. I don't generally hear people complaining about Microsoft or Nintendo micromanaging them.

Regardless, it obviously is good of any company to let the people working for them, or working on their behalf, have the freedom to do a good job.

Normally I'd entirely agree since I don't think any dev would, in their right mind, bash the ones paying to develop a game. However, given Sony's history of having a wide variety of top notch, high quality, unique games and exclusives I think there's some genuine truth to it. 

Almost everything on Nintendo is platformer or family friendly with very few exceptions. 

Almost everything on Xbox is gritty, realistic, or masculine with very few exceptions. 

But Sony...there's so many different genres and ideas that are native to Sony's console when it comes to exclusives. They get mascot platformers, dark fantasy, action oriented shooters, superhero games, platformers, action, adventure, racing, and a little bit of everything in between. They fund stuff like The Last Guardian and Shadow of the Colossus. They fund stuff like Spider-Man and InFamous. They fund things like Ratchet & Clank and LittlebigPlanet. No matter what you like or what you're looking for, Sony does it. I mean, look at Death Stranding! They basically gave Hideo Kojima a mountain of cash and said 'we're good, do what you want', and because of that we're getting something that, even to this day, we don't fully understand. It could be a generic clone of MGS, it could be something completely unique! We don't know! 

My point is, the variety and risks taken on Sony make me think that this quote is pretty sincere and not just licking the balls of your boss. If Sony was holding its studios in a vice grip, I think the output would be far more homogenized. I doubt any one company is actually smart enough to truly understand the entirety of the gaming landscape, especially not a huge corporation like Sony. I think the most reasonable explanation is that they trust their developers to make good games, and it's paid off in the end. 

You are a hater and everything you wrote is false.

For real, you you made a good point and it seems to have hit a nerve.

⚠️ WARNED: Flaming ~ CGI

Last edited by CGI-Quality - on 13 September 2018

"The rumours of my death have been greatly exaggerated."

- Single-player Game

KLXVER said:
Runa216 said:

Can you even read my signature? I have everything, but the reason I never PLAY the Xbox is that it doesn't have much in terms of variety (shooters and racers galore, as far as exclusives are concerned.) And Nintendo is almost all family friendly stuff. I have nearly 40 Switch games, and outside of Skyrim and Bayonetta, they're all family friendly or retro inspired. (Bayonetta is the only rated M exclusive) 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

WhatATimeToBeAlive said:

You are a hater and everything you wrote is false.

For real, you you made a good point and it seems to have hit a nerve.

Kinda crazy that people could be upset by reasonable observations based on truth. I'm not saying Nintendo having family friendly material is a bad thing or that microsoft having very realistic/gritty stuff is a bad thing - there are markets for both and the both do well within their comfort zone. 

I AM saying that Sony's platform is far more varied, with quality exclusive titles in just about every genre and maturity rating. I feel that the most logical explanation for this diversity is that Sony is less intrusive with game development and therefore lets their devs have more autonomy; that's how you avoid homogenous releases or similar games repeatedly. 

I mean, right now I'm happy to declare the SNES, PS4, and Switch as my all-time favorite consoles and the Switch has only been out a year and a half! I'm no hater, I just call it like I see it. 

and @RolStoppable - yes, the highest of horses. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Runa216 said:
KLXVER said:

Can you even read my signature? I have everything, but the reason I never PLAY the Xbox is that it doesn't have much in terms of variety (shooters and racers galore, as far as exclusives are concerned.) And Nintendo is almost all family friendly stuff. I have nearly 40 Switch games, and outside of Skyrim and Bayonetta, they're all family friendly or retro inspired. (Bayonetta is the only rated M exclusive) 

Again its about what YOU own. Not what is actually available on the systems. Just like when people say Sony only makes linear story driven interactive "movies" instead of actual games. Its all in the eye of the beholder.