By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - LGBT+ characters in video games

Hey, I'm going to write an article on LGBT+ characters in video games, and I need some help. Can you help me remember some of them?

1) What do you think are some good and bad examples of LGTB+ representation in video games?

2) How do you feel about the quantity of LGBT+ characters in video games? Do you think there should be more, less or do you think there's enough?

3) Do you think that, in general, LGBT+ characters are well represented in games?

4) Are you LGBT+? (feel free to not answer this question if you don't feel comfortable)

B O I

Around the Network

1) Good example: Ellie in The Last of Us: Left Behind
Bad example: Ellie in The Last of Us: Part II

2) There shouldn't inherently be more of anything because I feel like on a broader scale the gaming industry allows for most game creators to make the kind of game they want. It's really up to the artists and developers what they want to portray. I say this, but I don't think we're quite there yet. There probably still needs to be some more diversity allowed specifically in the Triple A sphere.

3) Not including Mass Effect, I really only know one LGBT game character. So no, not really.

4) I'm a B

For me any char that doesn't have their sexuality mentioned are better than ones that have, unless of course the sexuality is a need on the plot then you can certainly have relationship values and dynamic as you choose and makes sense for that story.

So since I pay no attention to this unless they make a need to point out I would only know of Ellie and then the discussion about Nadine and Chloe being lesbian or bissexual.

Besides some WRPG where you can be transgender and have relationship with anyone you want and some japanese dating simulators.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

1 - You guys probably don't know her, but Ayako Yuuki from Advanced Variable Geo series (PS1) is lesbian.

2 - I agree with AngryLittleAlchemist.

3 - I must admit that I don't know too much LGBT characters, but the ones I know are well represented.

4 - No, I'm not.

LuccaCardoso1 said:

Hey, I'm going to write an article on LGBT+ characters in video games, and I need some help. Can you help me remember some of them?

1) What do you think are some good and bad examples of LGTB+ representation in video games?

2) How do you feel about the quantity of LGBT+ characters in video games? Do you think there should be more, less or do you think there's enough?

3) Do you think that, in general, LGBT+ characters are well represented in games?

4) Are you LGBT+? (feel free to not answer this question if you don't feel comfortable)

1) Bad example: All of the characters in DA2. Just no. My favourite good example: Bolson in BotW. Very fun and loving character. Very likable.

2) Not too many characters, however, the gay characters that are there are somehow overwhelmingly lesbian women and way less gay men. Nothing wrong with that perse, but it makes you think about if it is truly about what is marketable.

3) I would have to say no. And much of it has to do with writing and character development. Because it shouldn't be a centerpoint of that characters identity. It should be only relevant if it relevant to the story or some character arc. Otherwise, what are you trying to achieve with said character? Give perspective that shows a full person or make it some one dimensional progressive checkbox character. It shouldn't be just about representation, it should be about better and real representation. 

4) No. But I am OTBWY+

Last edited by OTBWY - on 11 September 2018

Around the Network
LuccaCardoso1 said:

I think that the creator is free to choose what they want their characters to be. There shouldn't be any quota on if there are too many or too few characters of any specific type. The last thing I want to see is video games becoming some 90's Saturday cartoon where they always shoehorned in a kid with a wheelchair just to meet some level of diversity.  I really hope that a LGBTQ character doesn't just become something inserted just because it's on a developer/publisher checklist. Give them purpose and meaning.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:

4) I'm a B

And some day you will become a OT B.

1 I do not know a very good example and frankly I do not care. Ellie and Bill where gay in the last of us and that is a masterpiece do with that what you want.
2. I truely don't and its a given that in most RPG's nowadays which offer relationships you can be a black bisexual woman which kills trolls I think the whole situation is a bit overblown. Writers should have total freedom to make the character hé or she wants and should't be constrained by rules so that LGBQT are minorities are represented more in games. So I agree with Ka-Pi
3. Probably not since everyone whines so much about them, frankly I care little about it, if the game and the writing remain good sure, if devs are trying to score SJ points and ho out of their way to make a gay character and explicitly let you know that it usually goes at the cost of good writing and immersion, so in that regard I am not a fan. Although I must say except for Persona 5 I rarely see the latter form.
4. Nope

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

1) It's been a long time since I played a Bioware game, but in all seriousness I don't know very many LGBT characters in any of the games I play.
2) Don't really think there are too little, nor would some more gay, lesbian or bi characters be a bad thing. Don't really care as long as things are handled tastefully.
3) I don't play enough games over the entire spectrum to be sure. I know there are quite some gay, lesbian and bi characters but any good character doesn't wear their sexuality on their sleeves. I don't think transgenders need representation so that's not an issue for me.
4) No.

I think that they are well represented.

Not all games have romance options, and not all games display any of the characters sexuality. If you take that into consideration the amount of LGBTQ characters in games are well above 5 percent.