By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Shadow of the Tomb Raider Review Thread - Meta PC/PS4/XB1 81/78/83

John2290 said:
flashfire926 said:

Lets see here..

1)  Rise's side quests were also a bunch of filler and fetch quests. So it's not a step back from rise, it's just a missed opportunity to improve things. Which is a fair criticism but it can't count as a regression from Rise if it also had a bunch of Ubisoft filler and fetch quests. 

2) Okay, I personally liked crafting in Rise, and I prefer that it's expanded, but I see their point of view. Fair point.

3) The game has an option to let the natives speak in the native language. You can turn it off completely to make it like Rise. Or you can you can turn it on, which is a new option. Gamestop criticizes the game to not take it a step further, to make Lara interact with the natives in the native language. Fair criticism, but then again how can this been seen as regression from Rise, if that game didnt have that option in the first place? 

All of these are fair criticisms. However only one of them is a regression from rise (and that depends on the way you look at it). The other two, as I said, are a missed opportunity to improve things further.

Two of those three negatives still existed in Rise. The second one is debatable. Infact for the third one, in Rise the natives in Siberia spoke completely in English, so this option is an improvement. Gamespot is criticizing the lack of further improvement, which is fair.

Just out of curiosity, have you played shadow yet? Is it out? How do you know you won't agree with these reviewer's?

I haven't, but I don't need to play Shadow to tell that these criticisms that gamespot listed can also be applied to Rise. I've played Rise 3 times over and know the ins and outs of the game.

The side quests are pure filler, and the Siberian Natives speak english all the time, not just when speaking to Lara.

And as I said, these are fair criticisms. 

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
flashfire926 said:

Lets see here..

1)  Rise's side quests were also a bunch of filler and fetch quests. So it's not a step back from rise, it's just a missed opportunity to improve things. Which is a fair criticism but it can't count as a regression from Rise if it also had a bunch of Ubisoft filler and fetch quests. 

2) Okay, I personally liked crafting in Rise, and I prefer that it's expanded, but I see their point of view. Fair point.

3) The game has an option to let the natives speak in the native language. You can turn it off completely to make it like Rise. Or you can you can turn it on, which is a new option. Gamestop criticizes the game to not take it a step further, to make Lara interact with the natives in the native language. Fair criticism, but then again how can this been seen as regression from Rise, if that game didnt have that option in the first place? 

All of these are fair criticisms. However only one of them is a regression from rise (and that depends on the way you look at it). The other two, as I said, are a missed opportunity to improve things further.

Two of those three negatives still existed in Rise. The second one is debatable. Infact for the third one, in Rise the natives in Siberia spoke completely in English, so this option is an improvement. Gamespot is criticizing the lack of further improvement, which is fair.

Still, people didn't like it as much as the previous installment and there are back-steps from Rise and/or not enough progress made.  

and I ask again, what are those "back steps" you speak of? You still havent given a valid example outside of there being too many crafting items (which not only is debateable, is a little quibble when it comes to the grand scale of things).

Infact most of the big changes are improvements:

+ Less combat encounters, more puzzle solving/exploaration than the last game

+ A new difficulty system that has separate difficulties for  traversing, combat, and puzzles.

+ Very greatly realized underwater sections that werent in previous games

and more.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

John2290 said:
flashfire926 said:

I haven't, but I don't need to play Shadow to tell that these criticisms that gamespot listed can also be applied to Rise. I've played Rise 3 times over and know the ins and outs of the game.

The side quests are pure filler, and the Siberian Natives speak english all the time, not just when speaking to Lara.

And as I said, these are fair criticisms. 

I mean the reviewer's in general on the ps4 MC page, not just the Gamespot review. You seem adamant the reviewers are wrong and they are bombing the game yet you have yet to play it. Perhaps you may end up agreeing with their criticisms when you finally get hands on. Seems like you should at least play the game first before countering their critique and accusing bias. 

Fine, fair enough. I'll be back to this thread in a week.

Bet with Intrinsic:

John2290 said:

Oh right. I thought you were elaborating on the  discussion about reviewers bombing the game on ps4, above. My bad. 

Sa'llright.

Should check out some of them review bombs on Steam from Chinese users. Steam had to actually put an end to that sort of thing.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Gamespot gave it a six - their review opening is below. Feels very much like they're just irritated there is not much innovation, and so they've docked a couple of points:

It's taken a lot for the character to get to this point, and if you've been along for the ride since her excellent revival in 2013's Tomb Raider, you may be pleased to hear that Shadow of the Tomb Raider is the same style of experience we first saw in 2013, only bigger and with more added to it. In fact, there's seemingly very little, if anything, that's changed dramatically or been discarded from the formula. But while that means Shadow retains a lot of the components that give Tomb Raider that fantastic, timeless sense of wonder and discovery, it also means that Tomb Raider's interpretation of blockbuster action-adventure mechanics is starting to feel half a decade old.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network

I was hoping this game would have cracked the 90s.. and it seems its biggest issue is being too much the same thing with a different skin. 8 is still a good score and ill definitely pick it up. I am not one for movie based games but i actually enjoy this series

I think some critics lowered the score because Lara isn't handicap, gay, or colored.

Either way, I really enjoyed the previous two so I will play this.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

My most anticipated game if the year! I should be playing this tomorrow at midnight. Hope I'm one of the people who feel like it's a 10/10 instead of one of those 4/10 people.

*Crossed fingers*

Azzanation said:
I was hoping this game would have cracked the 90s.. and it seems its biggest issue is being too much the same thing with a different skin. 8 is still a good score and ill definitely pick it up. I am not one for movie based games but i actually enjoy this series

I really don't care if a game achieves a 9 or 10, because the game that do tend to have a huge focus on story telling or some multiplayer focus.

I mean people were very critical of RotTR not having great story telling or underwhelming visuals, but it was a great GAME.

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

starcraft said:
Gamespot gave it a six - their review opening is below. Feels very much like they're just irritated there is not much innovation, and so they've docked a couple of points:

It's taken a lot for the character to get to this point, and if you've been along for the ride since her excellent revival in 2013's Tomb Raider, you may be pleased to hear that Shadow of the Tomb Raider is the same style of experience we first saw in 2013, only bigger and with more added to it. In fact, there's seemingly very little, if anything, that's changed dramatically or been discarded from the formula. But while that means Shadow retains a lot of the components that give Tomb Raider that fantastic, timeless sense of wonder and discovery, it also means that Tomb Raider's interpretation of blockbuster action-adventure mechanics is starting to feel half a decade old.

Maybe you're right, but its also a different critic that handled this review. Gamespot is not a single person. A different person on the staff might have given it a better score.

Recently Completed