By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Shadow of the Tomb Raider Review Thread - Meta PC/PS4/XB1 81/78/83

Since Tales of Vesperia Definitive Edition doesn't come out until January the 11th I might buy this sooner than planned. If its on sale for a decent price digitally with all the DLC on Black Friday I will probably buy it then.



Around the Network
John2290 said:
flashfire926 said:

Divinity os 2 has a very small number of reviews, so there is more possibility of a bigger gap in scores. However, Tomb raider has 40 reviews each now and it still hasn't evened out....its not a coincidence. 

Keep in mind in that in addition to timed exclusivity, the sottr also called the tlou graphics fake, all the more reason for PS4 reviewers to have a grudge on him.

Despite PS exclusives, Xbox and PS4 share 95% of their libraries. The "PS has move quality exclusives" is true, but if that affected the reviews most games would have a bigger difference in there metas, not just one game. Stop with the tin foil hat speculation, please.

You're calling me the tin foil hat wearer. I'm saying the reason for the difference is most likely something way more simple than malice... how did I become the conspiracy theorist when Chazore believes there to be a grudge against Shadow for timed exclusivity in Rise. Smh. 

And 95%, nah. You're forgetting about VR games, Japanese and Asain territory only games, Xboxes BC library and the indies which make the gap much larger. Show me a source fir that 95 percent. 

Well within the context we are talking about, most reviewers are NA/EU based so the Japan/Asia only games don't count in this scenario, since they aren't really a factor here.

And you really think VR counts? Those games are gated behind a peripheral that costs as much as the console itself, those don't count in the slightest. Same as kinect games. I'm talking about real games here.

Yes, you're right in that when we include Asia/Japan exclusives then the percentage is much lower, but those really aren't applicable here.

And reviewers do sometimes rate a game higher/lower cause of malice/biases. Far Cry 5 got got a low review score from quite a few because it didn't try to make a political statement that antagonizes the rights. 

Chazore is completely right on this one. The timed exclusivity, plus the smack they talked to Naughty Dog is huge factor in the discrepancy in the metascore. It's clear as day. 



Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

CGI-Quality said:
shikamaru317 said:
Interesting to see XB1 6 points higher with only 2 less reviews than PS4. Maybe the PS4 version has bugs or performance issues that aren't present on Xbox?

None of the reviews have stated such. It's mostly a publication difference.

I wonder if ps4 reviewers are viewing it through uncharted-tinted lenses where subconsciously (or overtly) they are comparing it to the UC series. Or on the flip side maybe PC and Xbox gamers haven't had that comparison. 

Or it could be that after ROTR was delayed on ps4, there is a bit of ill feeling towards its successor (even if subconsciously.

Very interesting  

Last edited by fauzman - on 10 September 2018

John2290 said:
flashfire926 said:

Well within the context we are talking about, most reviewers are NA/EU based so the Japan/Asia only games don't count in this scenario, since they aren't really a factor here.

And you really think VR counts? Those games are gated behind a peripheral that costs as much as the console itself, those don't count in the slightest. Same as kinect games. I'm talking about real games here.

Yes, you're right in that when we include Asia/Japan exclusives then the percentage is much lower, but those really aren't applicable here.

And reviewers do sometimes rate a game higher/lower cause of malice/biases. Far Cry 5 got got a low review score from quite a few because it didn't try to make a political statement that antagonizes the rights. 

Chazore is completely right on this one. The timed exclusivity, plus the smack they talked to Naughty Dog is huge factor in the discrepancy in the metascore. It's clear as day. 

Reviewers on ps4 colluded to bomb the game because of timed exclusivity on the previous entry that got great reviews when hitting ps4 after the timed deal was up. 88 up from 86 on the xbox one. 

...okay then. And I'm the tin foil hatter. Lol. 

though that was before they talked shit about Naughty Dog, may I add. And the PS4 game was actually better due to it having all of the dlc content.

In this case, it's the exact game. Hear me out: EXACT SAME GAME. A six point difference doesn't just happen out of thin air, it usually happens when reviewers prefer one game over another. This just screams fishy.



Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

fauzman said:
CGI-Quality said:

None of the reviews have stated such. It's mostly a publication difference.

I wonder if ps4 reviewers are viewing it through uncharted-tinted lenses where subconsciously (or overtly) they are comparing it to the UC series. Or on the flip side maybe PC and Xbox gamers haven't had that comparison. 

 

Or it could be that after ROTR was delayed on ps4, there is a bit of ill feeling towards its successor (even if subconsciously.

 

Very interesting  

most likely both of those factors combined, imo.



Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

Around the Network

Why are people claiming saltiness with PS4 owners? Two points: 1. The PC version is already down to an 81 after only 10 reviews, and based on history, the more reviews a game gets, the lower the score becomes; so, the PC score will likely resemble the PS4 score more than the XBO score. 2. One could conversely make the argument that XBO reviewers are inflating the scores bc the series has come to mean more bc of its timed exclusive history.

Anyway, TR1 had excellent combat but little else. RotTR felt very similar in combat/gameplay to TR1 and still had a poor story (albeit better than TR1) and uninteresting characters. I lost interest in this series, and the scores for this game are not changing my mind.



John2290 said:

It could perhaps be that PS4 exclusives are of a higher qaulity and effect the judgment of this game as it's held to a higher standard. PS4 reviewers had GoW, Horizon and Spiderman since RoTR released. Don't go straight to conspiracy to bomb the game when the truth is probably that simple, it's not as good as the games on Ps4 but better than Xbox exclusives and the reviewers have different standards. 

Maybe it's because people can actually hold a grudge. We both know that different people hold different standards, and I'm going to be honest ehre, I've pretty high standards of what I'd like/expect to see in AAA video games, and those aren't PS4 based, and I'm not alone on that either, so no, it's not really some nutcase conspiracy, people have actually displayed holding grudges both on here and on other sites for years. 

John2290 said:

Check Divinity os2's ps4 and xbox review scores, difference. There are many other games like this with discrepancy of scores, being higher on x1. Whatever the case for it may be, it's not your conspiracy theory, that's for sure. 

Then it's clear that a game can appear bad to some folks on one system, good on another. There isn't one base thinking a game is shit, thus making the game shit by textbook definition. 



Kerotan said: 

I'm not avoiding their games because of a protest. I'm avoiding because i lost interest while they were not on my platform. They missed their chance. Same with pubg. 

 

Tomb raider still sold very well on ps4 despite the delay. Better then xbox version even. But they surely lost a ton of sales being late. I speak for myself when I say I've lost interest in the series not everybody on ps4. 

I don't see it as a missed chance tbh, because we've seen this across multiple platforms for years. It's like saying it's only a missed chance when Sony is excluded for a period of time, which is really stretching it.

RotTR was also supported on X1X was it not?, which I imagine would make it the definitive version on consoles.



John2290 said:

Reviewers on ps4 colluded to bomb the game because of timed exclusivity on the previous entry that got great reviews when hitting ps4 after the timed deal was up. 88 up from 86 on the xbox one. 

...okay then. And I'm the tin foil hatter. Lol. 

Dude, there were plenty of folk all around the net complaining about the timed exclusivity deal. Hell we've had people on here complaining that it was timed exclusive to X1, yet when it's timed exclusivity to PS4 it's "fine" and even defended. It is most definitely a grudge. 

Fans from each system are not devoid of holding grudges, that'd be absolutely tinfoil hat to assume that all arr devoid of holding any sort of grudge. . 



TR always was a wait for deep sale franchise for me. Good gameplay but story and characters always leaves a lot to desire. It’s strange that lighting and general graphics seem to have gotten a bit worse to me. HAppy it seems to have less shooting and more stealth and exploration this time.
Still, I’ve got way too much to play atm anyway.