By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Shadow of the Tomb Raider Review Thread - Meta PC/PS4/XB1 81/78/83

John2290 said:

Reviewers on ps4 colluded to bomb the game because of timed exclusivity on the previous entry that got great reviews when hitting ps4 after the timed deal was up. 88 up from 86 on the xbox one. 

...okay then. And I'm the tin foil hatter. Lol. 

Dude, there were plenty of folk all around the net complaining about the timed exclusivity deal. Hell we've had people on here complaining that it was timed exclusive to X1, yet when it's timed exclusivity to PS4 it's "fine" and even defended. It is most definitely a grudge. 

Fans from each system are not devoid of holding grudges, that'd be absolutely tinfoil hat to assume that all arr devoid of holding any sort of grudge. . 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network

TR always was a wait for deep sale franchise for me. Good gameplay but story and characters always leaves a lot to desire. It’s strange that lighting and general graphics seem to have gotten a bit worse to me. HAppy it seems to have less shooting and more stealth and exploration this time.
Still, I’ve got way too much to play atm anyway.

John2290 said:
flashfire926 said:

most likely both of those factors combined, imo.

Wait. I said exactly the first point there and you called me a tin foil hat wearer. Make up your mind lad :D

So you agree that these reviewers having bias for uncharted lowered their scores? In that case, we have nothing to disagree on.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

John2290 said:

What do fan grudges have to do with the 6 point difference in the score? playstation centric outlet had given it anything less than an 80 on ps4, The telegraph 40, The guardian 60, Gamestop 60 etc News paper publications and the like are the reaso  the game dives to 77. Hardly the sort to hold beef because of timed exclusivity on a game. Now go look at the list of Xbox reviews and see what publications are rating it highest. Problem solved. 

The telegrapgh reviewer must really hate his job if he'd risk it over something so petty. 

6 point differences?, that'd being oddly specific. No, I'm talking in general about holding grudges as well as those that seek to review bomb games, not this specific score that you seek to tie this entire discussion to to suit your point.

Plenty of people do petty things, like calling others "tin foil hatters", mate. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

John2290 said:
flashfire926 said:

So you agree that these reviewers having bias for uncharted lowered their scores? In that case, we have nothing to disagree on.

Worded slightly differently but the exact same point. 

"It could perhaps be that PS4 exclusives are of a higher qaulity and effect the judgment of this game as it's held to a higher standard. PS4 reviewers had GoW, Horizon and Spiderman since RoTR released. Don't go straight to conspiracy to bomb the game when the truth is probably that simple, it's not as good as the games on Ps4 but better than Xbox exclusives and the reviewers have different standards. "

Nope, not nearly the same thing. I said PS reviewers have an uncharted bias so they rate the game lower than they should. 

Has nothing to with any of the other franchises you listed, period. 

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
fauzman said:

I wonder if ps4 reviewers are viewing it through uncharted-tinted lenses where subconsciously (or overtly) they are comparing it to the UC series. Or on the flip side maybe PC and Xbox gamers haven't had that comparison. 

Or it could be that after ROTR was delayed on ps4, there is a bit of ill feeling towards its successor (even if subconsciously.

Very interesting  

I don't think it has much to do with Uncharted. Based on most reviews, I think even the PlayStation ones have consistent issues all around. It took several steps backward from Rise and that has been apparent even from the previews/trailers.

That's nowhere close to being true. The main criticism is that it's too samey for the third time, and this time reviewers cant give it pass for that anymore.

It's not gone backwards (maybe aside from graphics, which look slightly worse than rise at times), rather than inching forward to little.

Bet with Intrinsic:

CGI-Quality said:
flashfire926 said:

That's nowhere close to being true. The main criticism is that it's too samey for the third time, and this time reviewers cant give it pass for that anymore.

It's not gone backwards (maybe aside from graphics, which look slightly worse than rise at times), rather than inching forward to little.

Several reviews note steps back from Rise. I also noticed it. Not from a artistic/graphical standpoint, but just the situations. And, it retains many of the complaints of the previous two game, such as floaty jumping/platforming.

I put less emphasis on the numerics. What the reviewers said is far more potent.

Such as?

Bet with Intrinsic:

If you liked other two then you probably will like this one. It feels like Uncharted 4 to Uncharted the lost legacy, where it was a good game, but didnt change much from the last one ( yes I know it started as DLC and ended up its own game, people just want to see some evolution and progress in my opinion)

CGI-Quality said:
flashfire926 said:

Such as?

Read through Gamespot's specifically... 

Ex.

"Shadow of the Tomb Raider adds so many more pieces to the formula of previous games, but there are also so many little things that it just doesn't quite land. The game's obsession with collecting crafting materials has only become more profuse--there are now 21(!) different items to gather--causing everything to seem less valuable and the act of gathering them to be more of a chore. The side quests are poorly paced, as each will lead off with roughly 10 minutes of fetch quests across the game's huge hubs and watching talking heads before getting to the meat of things, making it easy to lose motivation. The game has an option for immersive voiceovers which causes NPCs to speak in their native languages, but Lara continues to speak to everyone in English, which feels like a missed opportunity."

There are things it does better, sure, but there are negatives that didn't exist before.

Lets see here..

1)  Rise's side quests were also a bunch of filler and fetch quests. So it's not a step back from rise, it's just a missed opportunity to improve things. Which is a fair criticism but it can't count as a regression from Rise if it also had a bunch of Ubisoft filler and fetch quests. 

2) Okay, I personally liked crafting in Rise, and I prefer that it's expanded, but I see their point of view. Fair point.

3) The game has an option to let the natives speak in the native language. You can turn it off completely to make it like Rise. Or you can you can turn it on, which is a new option. Gamestop criticizes the game to not take it a step further, to make Lara interact with the natives in the native language. Fair criticism, but then again how can this been seen as regression from Rise, if that game didnt have that option in the first place? 

All of these are fair criticisms. However only one of them is a regression from rise (and that depends on the way you look at it). The other two, as I said, are a missed opportunity to improve things further.

Two of those three negatives still existed in Rise. The second one is debatable. Infact for the third one, in Rise the natives in Siberia spoke completely in English, so this option is an improvement. Gamespot is criticizing the lack of further improvement, which is fair.

Bet with Intrinsic:

Opencritic has the game at 81. My own personal Opencritic settings (that remove Xbox publications, Slant, and Metro) have the game at 83. I'm glad I pre-ordered it for a $10 rebate. My Best Buy GCU membership gets me another 20% off, and I get 7% of the price of the game back in rewards points (worth $3.37. So I just paid $37 for a physical copy of a game that normally would have cost somebody $60. Mhwahahahahaha!!!