By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Are women over-represented in video games?

Which of these MOST describes your view?

Women are over-represented in video games. 8 10.13%

Women have too much of a ... 4 5.06%

Both of the above. 7 8.86%

None of the above. I will clarify. Honestly. 60 75.95%

Total:79
SpokenTruth said:
DonFerrari said:

And groups when they want to bother someone they will anyway. Just supposing they do worse on woman is patronizing and tiring. Everyone who plays online know how much cursing and bashing goes there and sorry it isn't worse against woman is just different because in general male and woman are hurt by different things.

How did we suddenly get on Xbox Live?  I thought we were talking about forums.

Oh, and I don't suppose they do worse to women, I know they do. I've been administrating forums for 17 years.  I'd forward you some of the crap they've had to see in their inboxes but I'd rather not get banned.  I'm frankly surprised you don't know this is a problem.  Let me ask it this way, has a women ever sent you an unsolicited vagina pic?

To me personally no, but also no one ever send an unsolicited penis to my wife.

The issue on the female getting more than male on forum and online have much to do with scarcit of offer. They will probably be target of more men than the opposite. And sure that also go on the hormonal difference of man and woman, man being more visual and also aggresive than woman. That doesn't make the treatment themselve worse, as I said it make it different.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

People really overthinking this. Who cares? Good game is a good game, regardless the artistic approach or gender of the game developer. What you'll find, is that majority of men AND women are reasonable, pro feminist and anti SJW. Days of gender inequality are long gone sir and I can only suggest, that you should move on with your way of thinking, stop overthinking it and just enjoy your games, because you sound exactly like SJW's.

Kristof81 said:
People really overthinking this. Who cares? Good game is a good game, regardless the artistic approach or gender of the game developer. What you'll find, is that majority of men AND women are reasonable, pro feminist and anti SJW. Days of gender inequality are long gone sir and I can only suggest, that you should move on with your way of thinking, stop overthinking it and just enjoy your games, because you sound exactly like SJW's.

Well that's not true at all.

MrWayne said:
Kristof81 said:

Could you elaborate one that? 

Kristof81 said:
MrWayne said:

Ok i will use my home country, Germany, for examples in my argumentation .I guess that's fair, Germany is good example for an average western State.

First, I would like to question the "long" in your comment and therefore we have to look into history.
Germany was one of the first European states to introduce universal women's suffrage in 1918. Other European countries introduced it much later, France in 1944 and Switzerland in 1971 (in some regions not until 1990). Until 1957, women in Germany were not allowed to own their own bank account without the permission of their husband. In perspectiv, my grandmother was born in 1950. Up until 1977 women in Germany were only allowed to work if their work didn't interfere with their duties as housewives, a similar restriction for men didn't exist. In perspective, my mother was born in 1971.
The German laws today treat men and women very equally, but you see, it is only a few decades ago where this wasn't the case. So i wouldn't call this period of equality "long", especially compared to the thousands of years of inequality before.

Let's take the next step and question if the inequality is actually "gone". So far I only talked about laws but the reality of our society is more than just laws. So let's take a look into the major intitutions who have the power to form our society(religion, politics and economy) and the influence of women in those institutions.

a) religion
Although the influence of religions in our western society has faded quite a bit, it is still there and in many of these religions women are not allowed to take religious leadership at all and in those in wichwomen are allow, they are heavily outnumbered by men.

b) politics
In the current German parliament, 30.7% of all seats are filled by women.

https://www.welt.de/politik/deutschland/article169078778/Diese-Fraktionen-haben-den-geringsten-Frauenanteil.html

the amount of female members in every major german political party is as follows(from 2009)

B’90/Die Grünen [5] 38,2 %

Die Linke 37,0 %

SPD 31,2 %
CDU 25,5 %
FDP 22,6 %
CSU 18,9 %

note, CDU and SPD have by far the most members, so their percentage weights heavier.

c) economy
only 7,3% of all top manager in the biggest german companies are female.

http://www.manager-magazin.de/unternehmen/karriere/frauen-in-dax-vorstaenden-ey-studie-zaehlt-50-frauen-und-636-maenner-a-1186921.html

If a group has less amount of powerful members who can influence the society than another comparable group, it's called inequality. We still have a long way to go before we have true gender equality.

Around the Network
MrWayne said:
Kristof81 said:

Ok i will use my home country, Germany, for examples in my argumentation .I guess that's fair, Germany is good example for an average western State.

First, I would like to question the "long" in your comment and therefore we have to look into history.
Germany was one of the first European states to introduce universal women's suffrage in 1918. Other European countries introduced it much later, France in 1944 and Switzerland in 1971 (in some regions not until 1990). Until 1957, women in Germany were not allowed to own their own bank account without the permission of their husband. In perspectiv, my grandmother was born in 1950. Up until 1977 women in Germany were only allowed to work if their work didn't interfere with their duties as housewives, a similar restriction for men didn't exist. In perspective, my mother was born in 1971.
The German laws today treat men and women very equally, but you see, it is only a few decades ago where this wasn't the case. So i wouldn't call this period of equality "long", especially compared to the thousands of years of inequality before.

Let's take the next step and question if the inequality is actually "gone". So far I only talked about laws but the reality of our society is more than just laws. So let's take a look into the major intitutions who have the power to form our society(religion, politics and economy) and the influence of women in those institutions.

a) religion
Although the influence of religions in our western society has faded quite a bit, it is still there and in many of these religions women are not allowed to take religious leadership at all and in those in wichwomen are allow, they are heavily outnumbered by men.

b) politics
In the current German parliament, 30.7% of all seats are filled by women.

https://www.welt.de/politik/deutschland/article169078778/Diese-Fraktionen-haben-den-geringsten-Frauenanteil.html

the amount of female members in every major german political party is as follows(from 2009)

B’90/Die Grünen [5] 38,2 %

Die Linke 37,0 %

SPD 31,2 %
CDU 25,5 %
FDP 22,6 %
CSU 18,9 %

note, CDU and SPD have by far the most members, so their percentage weights heavier.

c) economy
only 7,3% of all top manager in the biggest german companies are female.

http://www.manager-magazin.de/unternehmen/karriere/frauen-in-dax-vorstaenden-ey-studie-zaehlt-50-frauen-und-636-maenner-a-1186921.html

If a group has less amount of powerful members who can influence the society than another comparable group, it's called inequality. We still have a long way to go before we have true gender equality.

That's one way of percieving equality the left/social conviction that social equality equals the equal of outcome construct.

The liberal perception follows the line of thought that societal equality equates equality of oppurtunity, which is quite well established. A women can reach great places of power within Germany, hell Merkel is probably Europe is most influencefull and powerful person.

Also there are also fields like education and healthcare where man are in the minority, should those change to to reach gender equality in your perception. 

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Qwark said:

That's one way of percieving equality the left/social conviction that social equality equals the equal of outcome construct.

The liberal perception follows the line of thought that societal equality equates equality of oppurtunity, which is quite well established. A women can reach great places of power within Germany, hell Merkel is probably Europe is most influencefull and powerful person.

Also there are also fields like education and healthcare where man are in the minority, should those change to to reach gender equality in your perception. 

I do think real equality is equality of outcome however i also think that there is only one way or should I say one formula to achieve equality of outcome.

equality of oppurtunity  +  time  =  equality of outcome

So if equality of opportunity is achieved it will eventually lead to equality of outcome, if not, equality of opportunity was never really achieved in the first place.

MrWayne said:
Qwark said:

I do think real equality is equality of outcome however i also think that there is only one way or should I say one formula to achieve equality of outcome.

So if equality of opportunity is achieved it will eventually lead to equality of outcome, if not, equality of opportunity was never really achieved in the first place.

That's only true if you count that every group of people, whether its gender religions or races and person are inherently the same and have the same hopes and dreams. In some cultures especially Asian ones which outperform us being a doctor or lawyer has a very high status.

Man and woman are also inherently different (still equals of course). Aside from obvious body changes the Psych and brain of woman largely differ from males which is why women in general have more talent for teaching, life sciences, healthcare etc.

So if I would state the formula it is as follows and gross oversimplification:

Status + Culture + Talents + Time + Equal oppurtunities = Outcome. Which does not always have to be very comparable to an other group of people.

For instance I studied Landscape and Environment Management, something a bit of a Dutch thing. As with most Spatial and Environmental studies its a field in which Dutch white males have a high representation, but that doesn't mean there is a direct inequality. 

Since we all have the freedom of individual choice and we choose what we like and your background, culture, religion, gender etc. are all very relevant for that choice. So if a said group of people chooses a different field of studie.

Asians are overrepresented in comparison with other races in technical studies for example, probably because culture, background, expectations etc. than that doesn't mean an Asian can't follow the same studie as I did. Some might choose to do so and have the same chance as succeeding as me. Hé has an equal oppurtunity of succeeding as me. 

The difference is I see equality on the level of the individual as a liberal (college is free over here) and you see it for the society as the left prefers too. And if you purely look at the oppurtunities of the individual a black female has as much chance to succeed for her education as her white male co-student.

Whether her environment supports her as much is another story but has few to do with equality of oppurtunitie, especially on an individual level which is how I see equality of oppurtunity. 

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Qwark said:
MrWayne said:

That's only true if you count that every group of people, whether its gender religions or races and person are inherently the same and have the same hopes and dreams. In some cultures especially Asian ones which outperform us being a doctor or lawyer has a very high status.

Man and woman are also inherently different (still equals of course). Aside from obvious body changes the Psych and brain of woman largely differ from males which is why women in general have more talent for teaching, life sciences, healthcare etc.

So if I would state the formula it is as follows and gross oversimplification:

Status + Culture + Talents + Time + Equal oppurtunities = Outcome. Which does not always have to be very comparable to an other group of people.

For instance I studied Landscape and Environment Management, something a bit of a Dutch thing. As with most Spatial and Environmental studies its a field in which Dutch white males have a high representation, but that doesn't mean there is a direct inequality. 

Since we all have the freedom of individual choice and we choose what we like and your background, culture, religion, gender etc. are all very relevant for that choice. So if a said group of people chooses a different field of studie.

Asians are overrepresented in comparison with other races in technical studies for example, probably because culture, background, expectations etc. than that doesn't mean an Asian can't follow the same studie as I did. Some might choose to do so and have the same chance as succeeding as me. Hé has an equal oppurtunity of succeeding as me. 

The difference is I see equality on the level of the individual as a liberal (college is free over here) and you see it for the society as the left prefers too. And if you purely look at the oppurtunities of the individual a black female has as much chance to succeed for her education as her white male co-student.

Whether her environment supports her as much is another story but has few to do with equality of oppurtunitie, especially on an individual level which is how I see equality of oppurtunity. 

I think you've described very well what my problem with the liberal view is. Let's use your formula. We have two people with the same talent and equal opportunities. With your formula, the outcome for these two people may be different due to their culture or gender (these two persons aren't responsable for their gender or culture, they are given). It's not a big deal when the difference in outcome is that girls tend to work as nurses and boys tend to work as construction workers but when it's systematically harder for women or minorities to get into powerful positions we have a big problem at our hands.

Also, I should have explained my formula a little better (the formula is a bit inaccurate and to simple, i should try to come up with a formula who describes me thoughts better).
In my definition of equality of opportunity all those things like culture, gender, etc are already factored in. Obviously we can'twe can't force a certain culture on to people or give all people the same gender but we can negate the influence of these differences on certain important Outcomes ( like becoming a politician).

Last edited by MrWayne - on 06 September 2018

John2290 said:

I owe an apology, I made the mistake of assuming your opinion or views weren't up for reflection based on a few others threads you posted over the last year or two in which you seemed to double down. It's good to see that assumption was wrong and you are open to new perspectives, I'm quite sorry for accusing you of it.

Peace 

That's okay, John. The internet can be a tough place to exchange ideas successfully. I understand.