Forums - Politics Discussion - Are women over-represented in video games?

Which of these MOST describes your view?

Women are over-represented in video games. 8 10.13%

Women have too much of a ... 4 5.06%

Both of the above. 7 8.86%

None of the above. I will clarify. Honestly. 60 75.95%

Total:79
NightlyPoe said:
I'm not sure they're either over or under-represented is the correct way of putting it. For example, fighting games usually have a roster split of about 3 men to 1 women nowadays. Obviously, that's not parity. However, one can argue that the correct number of women in a typical fighting game trying to determine the world's strongest should be zero. There's no woman in the world that can hang with the upper echelon in MMA, boxing, or any other fighting sport of the kind. There are certainly women who can beat the living tar out of most men, but they're not on the same plateau of the world's elite.

However, there is a market to add women into these games anyway. And so Chun-Li and Sonya Blade get added to the rosters and are soon joined by many more. They're no where near the equal in numbers, but it's hard to say that they're underrepresented.

What's the correct number? Ultimately, that's probably up to the developer in trying to decide what's best for sales. Other genres are much the same.

That's the most realistic way of looking at it.

The gaming industry is a business, not a non-profit organization.  The most important merit is the potential for profitability.  Everything else comes secondary to that.

My mom used to read historical romance/mystery novels.  She liked books where the main character was female and she preferred female authors.  Judging from the landscape, I'd bet that she represents the majority.  Does that make her sexist?  Was she being unfair?  As that industry is mostly comprised of a female audience, is it right that a female writer who writes about female characters has an advantage in getting a story published?  Is that something we should look to change?

In business, the audience has the right to determine the success of the content.  There is no "fair representation."  It's natural selection.  

Around the Network

i think attractive women are over represented in games

sexual objectification is rampant in video games

if the devs had any kind of respect for women you would not be able to discern uniquely female characteristics such as breasts or wide hips in female characters

this is the kind of shit that's common in video games and helps to fuel misogyny against women

DarkD said:
 E3 is supposed to be about cool video games, it's not a gay pride parade.

Well. You are wrong. - But I wouldn't be against it becoming one to be honest.

TheLegendaryWolf said:
Over-representation or under-representation doesn't matter to me, whether a game is good or not does. In terms of AAA video games, I'd say the representation of women is probably on par with the female audience of those games.

This. I don't care if they had over-representation or under-representation, I am not going to complain about it, I'll play the game and judge it on it's own merits... If the game is good, it's good regardless if it has lots of women in it or not.
If the game is bad, it's going to still be bad.

People are getting offended/upset over every single minutia these days.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

o_O.Q said:

if the devs had any kind of respect for women you would not be able to discern uniquely female characteristics such as breasts or wide hips in female characters

this is the kind of shit that's common in video games and helps to fuel misogyny against women

There are a lot of female devs and the male ones also have mother, sister and daughters to one assume they don’t respect woman. They only are following market needs for the teenager and young adults.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Yes, relative to the percentage of females who are hardcore gamers, yes, women are over-represented in western video games. I think we should do a count - obviously we cannot include games with character creation.

Around the Network
o_O.Q said:

So you’r saying women with large breasts and wide hips should not be represented?

Lawlight said:

So you’r saying women with large breasts and wide hips should not be represented?

Don't create a false argument.  The person quoted never said anything about large breasts.  He said that you shouldn't be able to discern breasts at all.  That means if you can tell that a female character has breasts then the developer has no respect for women.

"if the devs had any kind of respect for women you would not be able to discern uniquely female characteristics such as breasts"

I think he means that breasts are shameful things that must be kept hidden.  If men see them, they'll instantly hate women.  At least, that's what I gather from his post.

o_O.Q said:

This is a great post and is the truth! Female characters are added into games to appeal to the nerdy male gamers that spend hours playing video games in their parents basement. Adding the attractive female characters is all about selling more copies of video games to male gamers.

They're certainly over-represented in my game library but that's how I like it.

SpokenTruth said:
"I woman on the battle field is not realistic."

Says the guy getting shot 10 times and still running

It's not like this occurrence is without consequence. In World at War, you get shot 10 times, you'll likely be dead in the game at that point; sooner than that most likely. Two or three shots and you need to take cover to heal.

SpokenTruth said:
while carrying 8 weapons, 5 grenade types, 4 ammo types

I recall less weaponry being carried by your character in WaW.

SpokenTruth said:
never slows down

I recall the 'sprint' ability being limited in WaW.

SpokenTruth said:
never eats, never shits

No time for that when in the middle of battle.

SpokenTruth said:
can fall from 30 feet with no broken bones

I recall WaW having fall damage.

SpokenTruth said:
is a private but can call in a god damn air strike that conveniently happens 5 seconds later...

It's a video game and in a constantly-shifting battlefield, timing is critical. The alternative, minutes of set-up, would be terribly impractical.

SpokenTruth said:
but has a problem with a pair of boobs ruining his authentic, historical experience

Only in a WW1, WW2, or other historical setting. Got no problem with boobs running around in Overwatch or Paladins. As a matter of fact, the girls tend to be my favorite characters; I always play as a girl in Splatoon and just about any other game.

No, and honestly I don't have an issue with women in a game for the most part. Gamers who shit on games that have women as character leads just because is stupid. BF5 and even MS: Andromeda (a game I actually liked) had poor marketing and seem to try to shove an agenda down your throat. Meanwhile, GOW5 only had fringes of complaints (very small minority of gamers) because Microsoft didn't make a big fuss over the fact the game had a woman as a lead, and honestly I'd think most gamers could give two shits.

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).