By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - [Updated] Nintendo Main Series: Switch vs Past System

Hello there, boys, girls and others.

At this point, we all know Switch is a consolidated success, and much of this reflects on software too. Most Nintendo traditional series are performing remarkably well on the new hybrid, so I decided to create this thread to track these games overall. Think of it as a place to check the performance of said games from time to time. We will compare the current main releases to their best performing counterparts of past home consoles and handhelds. Without further ado, let's get started:

The Legend of Zelda series:

Switch: 10.3m Wii: 7.4m

3D Mario Series:

Switch: 12.2m Wii: 12.77m

Splatoon:

Switch: 7.47m Wii U: 4.93m

Xenoblade Chronicles:

Switch: 1.53m Wii: 0.92m

Kirby series:

Switch: 2.1m Gameboy: 5.12m

Mario Tennis series:

Switch: 2.16m N64: 2.32m

Mario Kart Series:

Switch: 11.71m Wii: 37.10m
Combined: 20.15m Wii: 37.10m

Last edited by LipeJJ - on 25 December 2018

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

Around the Network

Switch 1st party software sales are certainly unprecedented, to have these kind of numbers on a year and half old system is crazy. It already rivals systems which have had 5 years on the market and over 3 times the install base.

Nice, especially considering where the Switch is in its life cycle. But I wasn't born when Kirby's Dreamland came out was that game a Pack In or something? Why did it sell so much more than any other game in the series?

I think many Switch mainline games will go far. That Mario kart however, I don't think so.

Looking at these, Odyssey will easily pass Galaxy. Mario Tennis Aces might catch the GBA game.

Mario Kart 8D doesn't have a chance really. A Mario Kart 9 if one were released later on might but I am more doubtful of that happening now than I was before.

Around the Network

Interested to see how Fire Emblem, Metroid, and Gen 8 performs

Ljink96 said:
Nice, especially considering where the Switch is in its life cycle. But I wasn't born when Kirby's Dreamland came out was that game a Pack In or something? Why did it sell so much more than any other game in the series?

I don't know all of the details, but here's some pieces of info.

The original Kirby's Dream Land had pretty good legs. In Japan (where game sales are recorded pretty far back), only about half of its sales were during 1992, and it remained an evergreen title up through 1994.

Kirby's Dream Land was one of a relative handful of Game Boy games to get a cheaper Player's Choice release, which was several years after it was launched. This would have made KDL about half the price of newer games and widely available.

Kirby's Dream Land had already been out for six years when Pokemon became a craze, at which point the pre-Color Game Boy was becoming dirt cheap anyways. And unlike some other of Nintendo's handheld evergreen titles, the Game Boy Color didn't feature a game that supplanted KDL like what Link's Awakening DX or Super Mario Bros Deluxe did to their monochrome counterparts. And by this point, Kirby had brand recognition among console owners.

Love and tolerate.

Only Kirby i don't see outselling the bestselling of it'S franchise cause it was badly received but i think it will be like top 3 and beat most recent games.
Mario Kart have a chance combined if they don't make MK9 for the switch, it's still selling SO well and will get like 2 million copies like every holiday lmao.
Metroid will definitely become the best selling one by far.
Fire emblem, i can see that but will depend on the quality.

Nuvendil said:
Looking at these, Odyssey will easily pass Galaxy. Mario Tennis Aces might catch the GBA game.

Mario Kart 8D doesn't have a chance really. A Mario Kart 9 if one were released later on might but I am more doubtful of that happening now than I was before.

OTBWY said:
I think many Switch mainline games will go far. That Mario kart however, I don't think so.

You guys might be surprised at Mario Kart. It "only" needs to average 4m per year in the next 5 years to surpass Mario Kart Wii, as it will definitely finish this year above 16m on Switch alone. If we combined both versions, it should end the year at ~24m, so it would need to average "only" 2.6m per year to surpass MK Wii. I can definitely see it being the best selling one if we combine both versions, but on Switch alone, it's totally up to if Mario Kart 9 will drop on Switch or not (I think not, they might prefer to invest on a different racer, like Diddy Kong Racing).

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

Yeah most first party franchises will probably blow away the previous sales records on Switch. 3D Mario is about to set a new record, Zelda is already the record, Splatoon obviously already the best, Xenoblade obviously already the best, Mario Tennis will set the record next year, Kirby will easily become the second best selling Kirby ever but that original GB Kirby is such an outlier I doubt it'll hit that number. Smash will blow away the Wii's ~13 million next year. If Metroid is critically acclaimed it will blow away Metroid Prime's 2.82 million. Mario Kart doesn't have a chance, though if you combine it with the Wii U original it might come close or even get there, Mario Kart Wii's numbers were just insane, it was the perfect game to capture both Nintendo core gamers and the blue ocean non-gamers that Wii brought in (okay well it was the second most perfect game for that behind Wii Sports). I think a Switch Animal Crossing game will have a decent chance of beating the 12.14 million record for that franchise. 2D Mario obviously has no chance. And I doubt the core Pokemon game coming out next year can beat the original Pokemon's 31 million. I'm sure there will be a Pikmin on Switch at some point and it will likely break the original's 1.63 million record.