By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Nintendo eShop game-rating thread

Bofferbrauer2 said:
super_etecoon said:
Do those colors in the chart only look bad in Dark Mode?

I turned into dark mode and yeah, that looks really... 80's Neon, to put it mildly.

If it's too uncomfortable, check the google doc link below, it's basically the same with some more info and less cruel colors.

Yeah, they're slightly less cruel, but there are way better shades and hues than that in the google pallete.  All good, but having pleasing colors is one of the most important aspects of spreadsheet design.  Not trying to take anything away from what you've made here, because it's really awesome (and needed), but pleasing aesthetics are always nice, too.

Around the Network

Cuphead (Run and Gun): Single Player - 4.5/5
The only Xbox game I was ever interested in, it's design is incredible. Smooth gameplay with fantastic music and visuals, a real delight. Only flaw I can see is the lack of a checkpoint system (The levels are short, sure, but it's more frustrating than fun to go through the annoying early part of a level countless times on repeat - even if it was optional

Quest of Dungeons (Roguelite RPG): Single Player - 3/5

Last edited by RingoGaSuki - on 24 April 2019

Game Dev Story (Management) - SP: 5/5
I don't understand why I like it so much, but I've played it a stupid amount of times on Android (pirated) and now have it on Switch. I hate that they didn't add anything or really change anything at all (seriously, a longer campaign (40 years maybe), more systems, more staff etc. wouldn't be that hard to add), but it's still a fantastic game.

Crypt of the NecroDancer (roguelike) - 5/5

Bisa said:

Hey OP i've updated games 26-33, too highlight the genres and update the score of YIIK now I've finished it.

Ratings for games 34-35

Bury Me, My Love 3.5/5 Visual Novel
Cadence of Hyrule 4.5/5 Roguelike

Games 1-9 | 10-16 | 17-18 | 19-25 | 26-33

Great, thank you very much for telling me about it!

I'm still working on getting it all into one list, I hope I can do it before next month ends.

Edit: Updated until BCDE F

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 24 September 2019

Around the Network
Mega Man Legacy Collection 5/5
Mega Man X Legacy Collection 5/5
Yooka-Laylee 3/5
Picross S 5/5
Castlevania Anniversary Collection 5/5
Owlboy 2/5

Yoku's Island Express
Pinball Platformer
4/5

Everything about Yoku's presentation is quirky and charming. The art, the music, the sound design all combine for a very cute and fun game. It also gets major points from me for doing something unique and unusual in game design. That said, I would have actually preferred it if there was a stronger separation between the pinball board levels and general exploration. Some fast travel options do exist, but they are very limited and if you want to really explore the island and find all the hidden goodies then prepare to do a lot of backtracking through multiple pinball boards, which can be frustrating. Still, very clever and enjoyable in the main playthrough.

Dark Souls
Action-adventure
2/5

An odd game for an e-shop thread, but that's where I picked it up. Also, I am apparently a filthy casual myself, because I just could not get into this game. I like difficulty in games, but not like this. It feels like my character moves through mud and the moment an enemy damages me (or stomps the ground near me) I'm stun locked until they beat me to death. Maybe, I just lack patience, but going through ten patient minutes of slow, careful combat only to get stun locked by one attack, murdered, and sent back to the beginning isn't my idea of a good time. Like with Owlboy, I'll try this again later and update the score if needed.

Cuphead
Run and Gun
4.5/5

From one difficult game to another, Cuphead was a vastly more enjoyable experience. The action is always fast-paced, well-balanced, and the aesthetic is fantastic. Even when you die the restart time is quick and it's easy to get right back into the action. The cartoonish nature of the story, foes, and music fits perfectly and helps to take a little sting out the frustration of frequent losses. The only thing that prevents this from being a 5/5 is that the random nature of some boss attacks makes them impossible to dodge.

Keroblaster
Run and Gun
4/5

Keroblaster is a throwback to old run'n gun games with simple pixel art, controls, and enemies, but it makes up for that with a quirky story/theme and controls that are tight and pleasing. The upgrade system allows you a nice sense of freedom and the varied guns are pleasing, though I typically just stuck to the spreadshot or the flamethrower. It's a short game (about 3-4 hours) without much replay value unless you want to try again in a harder mode. It's simple and fun, but probably not worth its $10 asking price. I caught it on sale for about $4 and that's a solid value.

Xeodrifter
Metroidvania
3.5/5

Another throwback game that harkens back to the original Metroid in its space-themed exploration. It is set apart from Metroid with a brighter color palate and lighter atmosphere. The ability to customize your main blaster and the unique upgrades (rocket boots, submarine, teleport) are cool, but the main draw is the ability to warp between the foreground and background. This ability is very cool, but at the same time it feels like more could have been done with it. Probably just because the game is so short with only four worlds and none of them being particularly big. It's about 3-4 hours of content, maybe 5 if you ferret out all the hidden weapon and health upgrades. The bosses are all just the same enemy type, with more health and new attacks. On one hand it is a fun boss battle and it's neat to have a new wrinkle thrown into a familiar pattern each time, but at the same time it's also a bit old hat by the fifth or sixth time you do it. Another game that probably isn't worth the $10 asking price, but I caught it on sale for $3 and for that its.

Found some time and updated the Google sheet until the letter FGH I so far. Doesn't sound like much, but since I'm double-checking if I missed a review or counted one double, it takes quite some time

Jumpin said:
Final Fantasy 7 - I am not good with numbers I have found, so I am going to review this with one word: Excellence

But to quantify that. This game marks an end of ports and mediocre to semi-good offerings from Square. This is the first time since Chrono Trigger WAY back in 1995 that Square has given us one of their top tier games. 24 years! And WHAT an a way to end, Square's biggest game of all time.
I already made a post reviewing things more in depth:
http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=239711&page=1

For the Excellence I gave a 5/5 for now, is that okay for you or do you want it changed?

forest-spirit said:
Well I went deep into the bargain bin this week. The first game I got was Drowining, a walking simulator, that looked like it would suck really hard. And to no surprise it sucked really hard. The second one I got was Stray Cat Doors, and this one didn't actually suck at all. In fact, it was pretty good for what it was, a short puzzle/adventure game. It only lasts about an hour but it is prized accordingly so if you have a bit of time to kill I'd recommend it.

Drowning - 0.5/5
Stray Cat Doors - 4/5

Couldn't find any information about that game, is there a typo somewhere?

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 26 September 2019

Super Meat Boy
Platformer
4.5/5

Do you like hard platforming? Do you like/can tolerate a very weird story and setting? Then I'd highly suggest this game, one of the pioneers of modern tough-as-nails platformers. Deaths are plentiful, but restart time is quick and when you finally defeat a level the game replays all of your previous attempts at once letting you see how your past actions lead a horde of meat boys to their untimely demise.

A Hat in Time
3D Platformer
4.5/5

This game is everything Yooka-Laylee should have been. It has quirky characters that fit the theme of each world and make them feel lived in. The enemies are varied and fun to fight, the power-ups are useful, the character handles very well, and the humor hits the mark. It also has some of the best boss fights I've seen in a 3D platformer. The only reason it doesn't have a 5/5 is because of the graphics. I'm aware they were working on a budget and maybe even going for an 'early 3D' look, but the game is just a little ugly regardless. Here's hoping that they have a larger budget for a sequel.

Bulbboy
Horror Puzzle Game
1.5/5

Bulbboy is what would happen if Tim Burton suddenly got into gross humor and decided to make a puzzle game. Everything is hand drawn but in a very weird style that I can't tell if it's meant to be genuinely frightening and fails or deliberately wants to seem scary without actually invoking fear. This wouldn't be a problem except that the game is both very short and very easy. The environment has very few interactive items and the ways they connect to solve a puzzle is very obvious. The game only takes a couple hours to beat which is just as well because I doubt I would have cared enough to finish it otherwise. I'm glad I caught this on sale very cheap, because it definitely isn't worth it's regular price.

The Liar Princess and the Blind Prince
Puzzle Platformer
4/5

Another very stylized puzzle game, but this one has a much better and more engrossing atmosphere. It begins with narration telling the game's story in a very fairy tale-like fashion. In essence the main character is a monstrous wolf that accidentally blinded a human prince. The wolf feels regret and gets the Witch of the Forest to transform her into a human princess so she may find the Prince and bring him back to the Witch to restore his eyesight. The main puzzle elements have you transform between human and wolf; the former being able to lead the Prince and the latter able to fight off the monsters that roam the forest. The puzzles are not terribly difficult, with a few exceptions, but the atmosphere and art beautifully fit the fairy tale theme of the game. The story is simple, but engrossing as the Prince comes closer and closer to discovering who the 'Princess' really is and her growing feelings for the Prince are complicated by the fact that humans and monsters are said to be irreconcilably different.

Mutant Mudds Collection
Shooter/Platformer
4/5

It's a bit difficult to slot this game into a genre for me because it doesn't really have enough guns or shooting variety to call it a 'run n gun' but the gun is too central to progression to just call it a platformer. Whatever. The point being that Mutant Mudds is a fun bit of gaming regardless. It a simple game giving you only a gun and hoverpack, with the option to either upgrade the gun, extend the hover or add a jetpack function. Annoying you can only have one of these at a time until you finish all the regular levels and super levels and unlock the super secret levels. On the positive side although game play is simple the enemies and obstacles are varied and the level design make very clever use of the few items you've been given. The difficulty ramps up in a smooth and satisfying curve and I had a good time with it. In the 'challenge' game the difficulty ramps up considerably, but not to a frustrating degree provided you play through all of the first game before trying the second. Deaths are plentiful (I had 700+ when 100%ing it), but the restart time is quick and checkpoints make it manageable. New abilities or guns would have been welcome as the gameplay never really changes or getting a new wrinkle, but it's still a good time. One caveat is that while the main two games are a great time, the puzzle game was both very easy and kind of boring so I can't recommend that part of the collection at all.

Baba is You
Puzzle
5/5

Baba is You is a game that could have been made for the NES. The graphics are some of the most simplistic I've ever seen and none of the mechanics or abilities would tax even the most basic of consoles. This isn't to insult the game, but to make the point that a great puzzle game does not require flashy looks or complex mechanics. Just a good idea executed well. In Baba is You, the mechanics of the game itself are part of the level. Little sentences like 'Baba is you' or 'Flag is win' or 'Wall is stop' dot the screen. You can change these sentences and the game changes in response. Each word is a block that can be pushed around. Is the wall in your way? Remove 'stop' from 'wall is stop' and you can pass right through it. Is the flag in an impossible to reach place? Move 'win' from 'flag is' to 'wall is' and touch the wall to achieve victory. It's a simple idea, but it forces you to re-evaluate how a puzzle can be solved, what logic loops and madness you can develop from the sentences. In one level you must construct sentences in such a way that you get an endless repeating chain of keys inside boxes inside keys. More than any other puzzle game it is never unfair or obtuse and simply requires that you realize what can be done with the tools you've been given. Possibly my favorite puzzle game of all time.

psychicscubadiver said:
Super Meat Boy
Platformer
4.5/5

Do you like hard platforming? Do you like/can tolerate a very weird story and setting? Then I'd highly suggest this game, one of the pioneers of modern tough-as-nails platformers. Deaths are plentiful, but restart time is quick and when you finally defeat a level the game replays all of your previous attempts at once letting you see how your past actions lead a horde of meat boys to their untimely demise.

A Hat in Time
3D Platformer
4.5/5

This game is everything Yooka-Laylee should have been. It has quirky characters that fit the theme of each world and make them feel lived in. The enemies are varied and fun to fight, the power-ups are useful, the character handles very well, and the humor hits the mark. It also has some of the best boss fights I've seen in a 3D platformer. The only reason it doesn't have a 5/5 is because of the graphics. I'm aware they were working on a budget and maybe even going for an 'early 3D' look, but the game is just a little ugly regardless. Here's hoping that they have a larger budget for a sequel.

Bulbboy
Horror Puzzle Game
1.5/5

Bulbboy is what would happen if Tim Burton suddenly got into gross humor and decided to make a puzzle game. Everything is hand drawn but in a very weird style that I can't tell if it's meant to be genuinely frightening and fails or deliberately wants to seem scary without actually invoking fear. This wouldn't be a problem except that the game is both very short and very easy. The environment has very few interactive items and the ways they connect to solve a puzzle is very obvious. The game only takes a couple hours to beat which is just as well because I doubt I would have cared enough to finish it otherwise. I'm glad I caught this on sale very cheap, because it definitely isn't worth it's regular price.

The Liar Princess and the Blind Prince
Puzzle Platformer
4/5

Another very stylized puzzle game, but this one has a much better and more engrossing atmosphere. It begins with narration telling the game's story in a very fairy tale-like fashion. In essence the main character is a monstrous wolf that accidentally blinded a human prince. The wolf feels regret and gets the Witch of the Forest to transform her into a human princess so she may find the Prince and bring him back to the Witch to restore his eyesight. The main puzzle elements have you transform between human and wolf; the former being able to lead the Prince and the latter able to fight off the monsters that roam the forest. The puzzles are not terribly difficult, with a few exceptions, but the atmosphere and art beautifully fit the fairy tale theme of the game. The story is simple, but engrossing as the Prince comes closer and closer to discovering who the 'Princess' really is and her growing feelings for the Prince are complicated by the fact that humans and monsters are said to be irreconcilably different.

Mutant Mudds Collection
Shooter/Platformer
4/5

It's a bit difficult to slot this game into a genre for me because it doesn't really have enough guns or shooting variety to call it a 'run n gun' but the gun is too central to progression to just call it a platformer. Whatever. The point being that Mutant Mudds is a fun bit of gaming regardless. It a simple game giving you only a gun and hoverpack, with the option to either upgrade the gun, extend the hover or add a jetpack function. Annoying you can only have one of these at a time until you finish all the regular levels and super levels and unlock the super secret levels. On the positive side although game play is simple the enemies and obstacles are varied and the level design make very clever use of the few items you've been given. The difficulty ramps up in a smooth and satisfying curve and I had a good time with it. In the 'challenge' game the difficulty ramps up considerably, but not to a frustrating degree provided you play through all of the first game before trying the second. Deaths are plentiful (I had 700+ when 100%ing it), but the restart time is quick and checkpoints make it manageable. New abilities or guns would have been welcome as the gameplay never really changes or getting a new wrinkle, but it's still a good time. One caveat is that while the main two games are a great time, the puzzle game was both very easy and kind of boring so I can't recommend that part of the collection at all.

Baba is You
Puzzle
5/5

Baba is You is a game that could have been made for the NES. The graphics are some of the most simplistic I've ever seen and none of the mechanics or abilities would tax even the most basic of consoles. This isn't to insult the game, but to make the point that a great puzzle game does not require flashy looks or complex mechanics. Just a good idea executed well. In Baba is You, the mechanics of the game itself are part of the level. Little sentences like 'Baba is you' or 'Flag is win' or 'Wall is stop' dot the screen. You can change these sentences and the game changes in response. Each word is a block that can be pushed around. Is the wall in your way? Remove 'stop' from 'wall is stop' and you can pass right through it. Is the flag in an impossible to reach place? Move 'win' from 'flag is' to 'wall is' and touch the wall to achieve victory. It's a simple idea, but it forces you to re-evaluate how a puzzle can be solved, what logic loops and madness you can develop from the sentences. In one level you must construct sentences in such a way that you get an endless repeating chain of keys inside boxes inside keys. More than any other puzzle game it is never unfair or obtuse and simply requires that you realize what can be done with the tools you've been given. Possibly my favorite puzzle game of all time.

Thanks a lot!

Really need to get to update the thread again. Well, maybe I'll get some more time now...

Edit: Updated to JKL M

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 21 March 2020