By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Mass shooting at EA Madden tournament in Jacksonville, Florida

SpokenTruth said:
Aeolus451 said:

They consider anything involving more than two people and a gun being involved as a mass shooting which includes accidental discharges, gang shootings, etc. I wouldn't be surprised they count defensive shootings involving more than two culprits as a mass shooting. It's a deceptive way to inflate the number and use word association to their benefit.

I just gave the requirement for that list nor did you read the site.  So I'll provide it again.  A shooting with 4 or more people shot (dead and/or injured) in one incident is tallied.

That doesn't mean accidental discharges (unless you somehow accidentally shot 4 people) nor does it include defensive shootings (unless you shot 4 people defensively).

But go ahead and try to loop around those too because you don't want to admit we have a serious problem with guns in this country.

2 or 4 doesn't make what I said wrong. Yes, they count literally anything with more than a few people and a gun involved as a mass shooting. It's intended to invoke the exact kind of response as he did. We have a problem with the mentally ill, criminals and real mass shooters. Each issue requires a different solution in weakening or preventing them. 

Around the Network
Farsala said:

Yep. And its especially annoying because unlike many other countries, USA is completely transparent and in the global language of English. USA has its own problems with gun related deaths sure, but other countries certainly have big problems as well like with bombings.

Tally EVERY single bombing in Europe for the last 10+ years and you won't even get to 40% of the gun deaths that happen in the US EVERY SINGLE Year. So yes no place in perfect, but let's be clear that the US is MORE imperfect compared to other so called "civilised" countries. Its death my violence rate actually would classify it as a 3rd world country, if it didn't have such a huge economy. Let's see how the economy holds up with the current shift in say 10 years.

Aeolus451 said:

They consider anything involving more than two people and a gun being involved as a mass shooting which includes accidental discharges, gang shootings, etc. I wouldn't be surprised they count defensive shootings involving more than two culprits as a mass shooting. It's a deceptive way to inflate the number and use word association to their benefit.

You've not even looked at the incidents have you? Just the description of how they gather data and jumped to some kind of conclusion. 

Every incident reported comes with a link to a related news article. How many linked articles did you actually read, before you read my previous sentence??

If you go to the news articles you can actually make an informed decision about whether the shootings involved "defensive" or "accidental" incidents. A quick sample of the first 20 shooting over the last 10 days (yes 2 per day) doesn't have 1  "defensive" or "accidental" shooting. So as a statistic that's 0% of what you suggested happened. But let's say that is too small a sample, if they do include that data, which I highly doubt, I'd be willing to bet it accounts for less that 1% of the 291 shootings listed there for this year. For those reading who don't have a calculator that is less that 3 of the 291 of them would involve "defensive" or "accidental" shootings, which means their figures are hardly inflated, as you falsely suggest.

Horrible for this to happen at any event let alone one for gaming, a place to get away from this kind of madness, or a place to experience it safely in a digital, non physically harmful way. I hate to say it, but I can't help but see the irony that this happened at a Madden event and not BF or COD, etc.

https://www.polygon.com/2018/8/26/17783924/madden-tournament-shooting-jacksonville-florida

Apparently the suspect has a history of multiple accounts of mental illness.

CartBlanche said:
Aeolus451 said:

You've not even looked at the incidents have you? Just the description of how they gather data and jumped to some kind of conclusion. 

Every incident reported comes with a link to a related news article. How many linked articles did you actually read, before you read my previous sentence??

If you go to the news articles you can actually make an informed decision about whether the shootings involved "defensive" or "accidental" incidents. A quick sample of the first 20 shooting over the last 10 days (yes 2 per day) doesn't have 1  "defensive" or "accidental" shooting. So as a statistic that's 0% of what you suggested happened. But let's say that is too small a sample, if they do include that data, which I highly doubt, I'd be willing to bet it accounts for less that 1% of the 291 shootings listed there for this year. For those reading who don't have a calculator that is less that 3 of the 291 of them would involve "defensive" or "accidental" shootings, which means their figures are hardly inflated, as you falsely suggest.

I've seen plenty of mass shootings statistics like that loosen the definition of mass shooting so as many shootings as possible are added in. It's just like when they tally school shootings. I didn't actually read that particular link because I got an attack warning  (virus) when I first looked at it. When I look at just one of these and it turns out that it was a gang shooting or domestic homicide then I know it's being dishonest in how it's tallied and presented. Its intentional. Its premise is false.

Around the Network

Some people crawled through his social media. He was sperging about video games & 'Trumptards' on reddit, was hospitalized because of metal illness and took medications. Dysfunctional family as well, like nearly all mass shooters.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/2018/02/27/of_27_deadliest_mass_shooters_26_of_them_were_fatherless_435596.html

Flilix said:
Farsala said:

Yep. And its especially annoying because unlike many other countries, USA is completely transparent and in the global language of English. USA has its own problems with gun related deaths sure, but other countries certainly have big problems as well like with bombings.

Yeah, but all of these countries where bombings happen regularly are 3rd world countries. The US on the other hand, is still a developed country. It's facing this issue that no other developed country seems to have, yet it doesn't want to do anything about it.

Not just 3rd world countries and not just bombings. The high profile bombings/ terrorist acts in Europe are still a thing and more numerous than in US.

CartBlanche said:
Farsala said:

Tally EVERY single bombing in Europe for the last 10+ years and you won't even get to 40% of the gun deaths that happen in the US EVERY SINGLE Year. So yes no place in perfect, but let's be clear that the US is MORE imperfect compared to other so called "civilised" countries. Its death my violence rate actually would classify it as a 3rd world country, if it didn't have such a huge economy. Let's see how the economy holds up with the current shift in say 10 years.

It isn't just bombings though. Every country has their own problems like I said. For say Belgium or France it is kidnapping. For say Russia, Mexico, Ukraine, USA it is murder rate. For say Portugal and Spain it is robbery and muggings. For say UK or Germany it is the "terrorist rate". For Sweden and Australia it is Sexual Assault. Etc. etc.

And btw for the tally of "Europe" it would be difficult to tally it up without a clear definition, because if we include European Russia and Istanbul than the tally for all the bombings in 10 years definitely exceed US mass shooting deaths in a year which is much higher than 40%.

Apparently despite having been prescribed both antipsychotics and antidepressants, there was no problem legally obtaining firearms.

Whether you consider this a mental health problem or a gun control problem, the powers that be aren't doing anything to help on either front.

numberwang said:

Some people crawled through his social media. He was sperging about video games & 'Trumptards' on reddit, was hospitalized because of metal illness and took medications. Dysfunctional family as well, like nearly all mass shooters.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/2018/02/27/of_27_deadliest_mass_shooters_26_of_them_were_fatherless_435596.html

Isnt there a law that says something like "if your mental ill, you cannot own a gun" (or if you develope a mental illness, it gets taken away) ?

You would think there was overview of who owns guns, and if they deveope any sudden mental related illnesses.
And someone to put that knowledge into effect, as to save lives.

JWeinCom said:
Apparently despite having been prescribed both antipsychotics and antidepressants, there was no problem legally obtaining firearms.

Whether you consider this a mental health problem or a gun control problem, the powers that be aren't doing anything to help on either front.

What!?

Id assume that would be like the first thing, about gun regulations that was put into effect via some law.
Its crazy to me you americans think its okay for a mental ill person to just go in and buy a gun (or keep owning one).

What could possibly go wrong?
Not to mention you guys probably have tons of people with mental illnesses not getting any treatment, because of your medical system.