By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Mass shooting at EA Madden tournament in Jacksonville, Florida

Farsala said:
CartBlanche said:

YOU are the one who brought up bombings, I didn't. I simply pointed out they don't come close to a year of US's gun death rate.  Not you, but loads of pro gun people bring up how many knife stabbing there are in the UK etc, where there are no guns. Even if you took knifing murder rates you'd be hard pressed to match gun deaths in the US. Also when was the last time some mass knife murderer managed to kill 58 people from a balcony, like what happened in Las Vegas last year?? Fact is guns make mass killing exponentially easier compared to knifes, if that is *all* someone had to go on a rampage with. Also more people die from gun shot wounds, than from knife wounds. Yet pro gunners don't seem to have the capacity to understand how one weapon is exponentially worse in the hands of the public, than the other!

Since I debunked your bombing statement you now bring up Russia and Turkey. Neither Russia nor Turkey are part of the official borders of the European Union, which is what I was referring to. But since you mentioned Russia, according to this page - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrorism_in_Russia (which includes deaths from all terrorist activities in the last 10 years, not just bombing) only about 1,100 people have died due to terrorism in 10 years! 

I found this site for Turkey - https://www.kaggle.com/sevgilit/turkey-terrorism-statistics/notebook, but that doesn't look like the combined terrorist deaths would be greater than the US either.

Just to be sure, you are aware over 15,000 people in the US die from gun related deaths with over 30,000 people injured due to guns EVERY YEAR! In any other country that would be considered war zone statistics!! 

Whoa calm down buddy. I said all countries have their own problems. I even acknowledge USA has a murder problem, but that doesn't mean other countries are saints and don't have problems with bombings, kidnappings, robberies, sexual assault, and etc. Not only that but I said EUROPEAN Russia, and Istanbul. Not all of Russia or Turkey. But yes 1100 deaths to terrorists is definitely a problem especially when compared to the US. But then again it is also Russia with a higher murder rate than US.

Lots of people die in USA, because there are a lot of people in USA. You would be better off arguing with murder rates. Luckily murder rate is down over the years. And considering just how much guns we have the murder rate is quite low. In fact we have more guns per capita than ever before and yet the murder rate or death by firerarm rate is down somehow.

Hold on... are  you now saying that 1000 terrorist deaths in russia in 10 YEARS is a bigger problem than 30,000+ gun deaths EVERY YEAR in the US??

So to scale that up to 10 years, you are saying 300,000+ mostly preventable gun deaths by removing guns, is not as big a problem as 1000 terrorist deaths?! Even with murder rate down, year on year, will it bring that down to 200,000 for 10 years, 100,000 for 10 years? Even if it dropped to 100,000 that is still 10x more than terrorist deaths in Russia!!

I hope I've misunderstood you and you will clarify.

Around the Network
Farsala said:

But then again it is also Russia with a higher murder rate than US.

Lots of people die in USA, because there are a lot of people in USA. You would be better off arguing with murder rates. Luckily murder rate is down over the years. And considering just how much guns we have the murder rate is quite low. In fact we have more guns per capita than ever before and yet the murder rate or death by firerarm rate is down somehow.

Thanks for pointing out the murder rate of Russia compared to the US, I didn't realise that was higher than the US. Good to learn new facts about other countries.

From this site http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/compare/Russia/United-States/Crime The murder rate is indeed higher in the Russia. The US however is worse than Russia in areas like cannibis use (Russia has higher opiad use), crime level, higher number of executions, rape rate, total crime, auto theft, assaults, robberies , number of prisoners incarcerated and more.

Europe (the Union not the land mass) has a MUCH higher combined population than the US and its murder rates, without guns, are much lower than the US. If guns were introduced into Europe, they would be as high as the US, I have no doubt. As I mentioned above, in the heat of the moment, when most people would use a gun, in Europe they use their fists, knifes something else. That something else is statistically LESS lethal than a gun. So the fatality rate will naturally be lower. I would argue the fits of anger in Europe and the US are identical, the defining issue is what each person in a bad mood has at hand.

CartBlanche said:
Farsala said:

But then again it is also Russia with a higher murder rate than US.

1.Thanks for pointing out the murder rate of Russia compared to the US, I didn't realise that was higher than the US. Good to learn new facts about other countries.

From this site http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/compare/Russia/United-States/Crime The murder rate is indeed higher in the Russia. The US however is worse than Russia in areas like cannibis use (Russia has higher opiad use), crime level, higher number of executions, rape rate, total crime, auto theft, assaults, robberies , number of prisoners incarcerated and more.

2.Europe (the Union not the land mass) has a MUCH higher combined population than the US and its murder rates, without guns, are much lower than the US. If guns were introduced into Europe, they would be as high as the US, I have no doubt. As I mentioned above, in the heat of the moment, when most people would use a gun, in Europe they use their fists, knifes something else. That something else is statistically LESS lethal than a gun. So the fatality rate will naturally be lower. I would argue the fits of anger in Europe and the US are identical, the defining issue is what each person in a bad mood has at hand.

0. Your other post is misquoting me and isn't worth a response more than this.

1. Yes US is more similar to Russia than European countries. In fact US is more similar to Mexico, Brazil than Russia. However comparing to these countries would only put US in a good light, so we can't have that.

2. It isn't so simple as blaming guns though.

The US has 30 times more guns per capita than the UK. Does it have 30 times the murder rate per capita? No it only has 4 times the murder rate per capita.

Norway has 10 times more guns per capita than the UK. Does it have 10 times the murder rate per capita? No the UK with less guns has 2 times the murder rate per capita.

It depends on the country, as they are all very different.