By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Bethesda says that all of their games on Switch have been "hugely popular".

Barkley said:

That quote is being taken very out of context, it's transcribed wrong also. Starts at 4:43 on this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEKH4c1k3pM

The quote written in the OP from the NintendoEverything article literally makes zero sense the way they're written it. Here's how it actually should be:

Interviewer - "Myself and a lot of people out of there are really excited and appreciative that you guys are supporting the Switch."

Peter Hines - "It was hugely popular. All the stuff we did I think folks enjoyed."

Misquote - "It was hugely popular all the stuff we did. I think folks enjoyed -"  (Think folks enjoyed what? Doesn't make any sense.)

He was saying that all the stuff they did folks enjoyed, not that all the stuff they did was hugely popular. 

The alternative is that Bethesda think 31k first week (Wolfenstein 2) is "Hugely Popular".

Nintendoeverything.com took a basic off-the-cuff remark that amounts to very little, gave it more emphasis/attention than needed and slightly misquoted it to make it sound how they wanted it to.

"It was hugely popular" - he talks about their Switch support. That could basically mean that Bethesda was praised for their Switch support or/and that the sales are great

Around the Network

So, announcements were popular not games itself, so thats they made one more big announcement because their goal is to have popular announcements instead of popular games and good sales of those games!? :D

That dont make sense, its clearly he talking about popularity of games they bringed to Switch, and that's why they announced new Doom game also. Some of your guys are trying too hard, fact is that before they also said they are satisfied with Switch sales, and fact is that they are bringing new Doom game also. If that isn't true they wouldn't continue Switch support and they wouldnt bring Doom Eternal to Switch, they doing things because of profit not because some announcement is popular (whats a point if game is not popular and not selling).

Miyamotoo said:

So, announcements were popular not games itself, so thats they made one more big announcement because their goal is to have popular announcements instead of popular games and good sales of those games!? :D

That dont make sense, its clearly he talking about popularity of games they bringed to Switch, and that's why they announced new Doom game also. Some of your guys are trying too hard, fact is that before they also said they are satisfied with Switch sales, and fact is that they are bringing new Doom game also. If that isn't true they wouldn't continue Switch support and they wouldnt bring Doom Eternal to Switch, they doing things because of profit not because some announcement is popular (whats a point if game is not popular and not selling).

They were talking about the announcement and the IGN guy was thanking him for supporting Switch. Then, comes that line.

They weren't necessarily talking about sales. 
And to be honest, that talk easily applies to a discussion about support and not sales figures. In other words, their announcements were really appreciated by the Switch community.

For them to bring Doom Eternal, all Doom had to to do was show that there's a potential market big enough for them to see that paying a studio to port Doom Eternal, is, comercially, a good move. 
They don't even need Doom to be hugely popular, it just had to do the above.

Edit: Can you find the quote where they said they were satisfied withe Skyrim and Doom sales? I can't find a direct quote. All i have seen is them saying there is an audience for their games and that they resonated with the Switch audience.

Last edited by DélioPT - on 27 August 2018

DélioPT said:
Miyamotoo said:

They were talking about the announcement and the IGN guy was thanking him for supporting Switch. Then, comes that line.

They weren't necessarily talking about sales. 
And to be honest, that talk easily applies to a discussion about support and not sales figures. In other words, their announcements were really appreciated by the Switch community.

For them to bring Doom Eternal, all Doom had to to do was show that there's a potential market big enough for them to see that paying a studio to port Doom Eternal, is, comercially, a good move. 
They don't even need Doom to be hugely popular, it just had to do the above.

Edit: Can you find the quote where they said they were satisfied withe Skyrim and Doom sales? I can't find a direct quote. All i have seen is them saying there is an audience for their games and that they resonated with the Switch audience.

My point still stands sames: "So, announcements were popular not games itself, so thats they made one more big announcement because their goal is to have popular announcements instead of popular games and good sales of those games"!? :D

Going buy yours points:

-No, IGN guy were talking about support of Switch not about announcements, and Bethesda guy continue to talk about support and popularity.

-They didn't mention sales but popularity of games on Switch, popular games on some platform means good sales.

-Thats a point, Doom sold well enough that they will bring another one, it doesnt need to be multi million seller game.

-They didn't talk specifically about Skyrim and Doom but something with in line that they are satisfied with Switch sales and that they will have more games for Switch, that was before E3.

Last edited by Miyamotoo - on 27 August 2018

Miyamotoo said:
DélioPT said:

My point still stands sames: "So, announcements were popular not games itself, so thats they made one more big announcement because their goal is to have popular announcements instead of popular games and good sales of those games"!? :D

Going buy yours points:

-No, IGN guy were talking about support of Switch not about announcements, and Bethesda guy continue to talk about support and popularity.

-They didn't mention sales but popularity of games on Switch, popular games on some platform means good sales.

-Thats a point, Doom sold well enough that they will bring another one, it doesnt need to be multi million seller game.

-They didn't talk specifically about Skyrim and Doom but something with in line that they are satisfied with Switch sales and that they will have more games for Switch, that was before E3.

And my point still's the same: they weren't necessarily talking about sales. That conversation was, to me, more geared towards Bethesda support and how people reacted to them (announcements per se and what was announced), than anything related to how the actual games were commercially received.

No, Doom, doesn't need to be a million seller for support to continue… but it would be great wouldn't it? Imagine down the line, where Switch support becomes more difficult and the decision has to be made based on sales. Wouldn't higher sales help that decision?; A port of a game requires more time and they aren't sure if the Switch market will support it enough to give them a good financial return. Wouldn't it be great if their previous games sold more?

The same goes for other developers: the wider the market is, the more likely is Switch bound for support even in it's last legs or when it gets new competitors.

A company like Bethesda doesn't settle for the results that are in the lower end of their estimates.

Thanks for that.
Being satisfied - or whatever the actual response was - is not the same as being hugely popular. See the difference when they actually talk about sales? Those two description are really different.

Around the Network
DélioPT said:
Miyamotoo said:

Going buy yours points:

And my point still's the same: they weren't necessarily talking about sales. That conversation was, to me, more geared towards Bethesda support and how people reacted to them (announcements per se and what was announced), than anything related to how the actual games were commercially received.

No, Doom, doesn't need to be a million seller for support to continue… but it would be great wouldn't it? Imagine down the line, where Switch support becomes more difficult and the decision has to be made based on sales. Wouldn't higher sales help that decision?; A port of a game requires more time and they aren't sure if the Switch market will support it enough to give them a good financial return. Wouldn't it be great if their previous games sold more?

The same goes for other developers: the wider the market is, the more likely is Switch bound for support even in it's last legs or when it gets new competitors.

A company like Bethesda doesn't settle for the results that are in the lower end of their estimates.

Thanks for that.
Being satisfied - or whatever the actual response was - is not the same as being hugely popular. See the difference when they actually talk about sales? Those two description are really different.

Again:

-They didn't mention sales but popularity of games on Switch, popular games on some platform means good sales. They clearly talk about popularity of games their brought, not popularity of support and their announcements, it dont make sense to talk about that at all, they even said "I think folks enjoyed and appreciated" that implies enjoyed games and appreciated support.

-Whats your point exalty? Offcourse that bigger sales would be better for any game for any platform. Its like you wrote "water is wet", so whats your point? They dont need time at all for Switch port, they easily hire some company outside company to do port (like Bethesda is actualy doing), and than just wait profit when game starts to sell.

-They said before they were satisfied, now maybe they think they are hugely popular.

Miyamotoo said:
DélioPT said:

Thanks for that.

Again:

-They didn't mention sales but popularity of games on Switch, popular games on some platform means good sales. They clearly talk about popularity of games their brought, not popularity of support and their announcements, it dont make sense to talk about that at all, they even said "I think folks enjoyed and appreciated" that implies enjoyed games and appreciated support.

-Whats your point exalty? Offcourse that bigger sales would be better for any game for any platform. Its like you wrote "water is wet", so whats your point? They dont need time at all for Switch port, they easily hire some company outside company to do port (like Bethesda is actualy doing), and than just wait profit when game starts to sell.

-They said before they were satisfied, now maybe they think they are hugely popular.

My point was - again - that, you seem ok with things being on a bare minimum level. To you, as long as they don't lose money, it's a-ok!
You have been showing this mentaility for a long time.

Those games went from satisfying to being hugely popular, in a few months, and that doesn't sound strange to you?
What reason was there for these games to become so popular overnight?

DélioPT said:
Miyamotoo said:

Again:

My point was - again - that, you seem ok with things being on a bare minimum level. To you, as long as they don't lose money, it's a-ok!
You have been showing this mentaility for a long time.

Those games went from satisfying to being hugely popular, in a few months, and that doesn't sound strange to you?
What reason was there for these games to become so popular overnight?

Its not point about whats is OK for me, but yes, if we have continued support than yes, I am OK with that. Also you dont know if that is bare minimum or not, dont act like you do.

Maybe, you cant know that, maybe they have new numbers, maybe he was also carried away and said hugely popular, but at end point is same, they are satisfied with sale. Skyrim is one of most popular 3rd party games on Switch, so yeah we can say its quite popular game on Switch, espacily when Switch has install base of around 20m.

Miyamotoo said:
DélioPT said:

Its not point about whats is OK for me, but yes, if we have continued support than yes, I am OK with that. Also you dont know if that is bare minimum or not, dont act like you do.

Maybe, you cant know that, maybe they have new numbers, maybe he was also carried away and said hugely popular, but at end point is same, they are satisfied with sale. Skyrim is one of most popular 3rd party games on Switch, so yeah we can say its quite popular game on Switch, espacily when Switch has install base of around 20m.

When i said the bare minimum i was talking about sales, release schedules, support from 3rd parties, not stealing customers from Sony and MS, etc. .
And with that in mind, you have shown that you are fine with things just… working. The last time we talked you said that the 1st semester line-up was more than fine. From what i read here, those 20Million consoles probably won't be so easy to achieve. Why? We discussed this before and you dind't see a problem there, so there's no point in resuming that conversation - also keeping in mind that it would be WAY off-topic..

This is what i am talking about: if it works well, it's enough for you. And it's your right to think that way, you just have the habit of criticising others for not settling for whatever good news come out.

Just look at your second paragraph: "maybe he was also carried away and said hugely popular,"
When i said it, i had an agenda.

I'm glad they are satisfied because that means they will keep their support.
But i have the right to question why they were satisfied: was it because expectations were low; sales were way higher than vgchartz has them? It's a honest question.
And i still say that it doesn't add up being satisfied in April and calling them hugely popular a few months after. To me, it's either he exaggerated or expectations were low. 

DélioPT said:
Miyamotoo said:

When i said the bare minimum i was talking about sales, release schedules, support from 3rd parties, not stealing customers from Sony and MS, etc. .And with that in mind, you have shown that you are fine with things just… working.

The last time we talked you said that the 1st semester line-up was more than fine. From what i read here, those 20Million consoles probably won't be so easy to achieve. Why? We discussed this before and you dind't see a problem there, so there's no point in resuming that conversation - also keeping in mind that it would be WAY off-topic..

This is what i am talking about: if it works well, it's enough for you. And it's your right to think that way, you just have the habit of criticising others for not settling for whatever good news come out.

Just look at your second paragraph: "maybe he was also carried away and said hugely popular,"
When i said it, i had an agenda.

I'm glad they are satisfied because that means they will keep their support.
But i have the right to question why they were satisfied: was it because expectations were low; sales were way higher than vgchartz has them? It's a honest question.
And i still say that it doesn't add up being satisfied in April and calling them hugely popular a few months after. To me, it's either he exaggerated or expectations were low. 

I am OK with every positive thing, and yes good sales (in worst case good enugh and satisfied sales), continued and increased support, better release schedules...are all positive things, and other hand you keep acting like Switch dont sell great and dont have games, while reailty is quite opposite. I dont see why Nintendo needs to steal customers from MS/Sony, but you do realise that person can have multiple systems, for instance "40% of Switch owners in the US also owned a PS4".

If we talk about line-up, 1st quarter was weaker, 2nd querter was better (April-June), so we can say that 1st 6 months were OK, but from July until years end line up is quite stronger. Maybe they will hit those 20m maybe they will not, but even if they dont hit they will most likly be close to that number. If thats offtopic why you mentione it!?

No, if something works that means its good, you cant act like its bad. So yes, I am OK curently, but I also expecting contined and better support, better sales, better release schedules. Wrong, I criticising others (but on this forum we talking mostly about you in that matter) when they try to twist around good news into something negative.

I said maybe, I gave you couple of possible possibilities, dont act like we talking about certain things.

Of Course you have right, but thats a point, you always questioning every positive news about Switch, even before Switch launch you were negative about Switch and you keep with that like we talking about negative things.

Last edited by Miyamotoo - on 29 August 2018