By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Do you believe in God? Why/Why not?

Do you believe in any god?

Yes 63 36.21%

No 111 63.79%

Total:174
dark_gh0st_b0y said:

I do believe in god, Christianity specifically because it is the most efficient cure of the spirit, for those who understand it

and since mental health is the most important thing in my opinion, it really leads to a better life

I am a science freak at the same time, and I find it pointless to mix the two, religion's purpose is not to fill science gaps, it is the mental cure that leads to a better life, making Christianity self-evident in its biggest part

and in my opinion, psychologists  are the kind of new ''religion'', telling you what to think and how to live and how to act, all that while making it look 'advisory' and asking for money... an extremely short-term relief rather than a cure

psychology is science, science may heal the body but will never heal the spirit

welcome to the ex-religion age, the age of personal psychologists

And don't forget about the social media religion that makes people have an addicted fake feeling of belonging online while at the same time becoming antisocial in the real world.

Around the Network
Immersiveunreality said:
dark_gh0st_b0y said:

I do believe in god, Christianity specifically because it is the most efficient cure of the spirit, for those who understand it

and since mental health is the most important thing in my opinion, it really leads to a better life

I am a science freak at the same time, and I find it pointless to mix the two, religion's purpose is not to fill science gaps, it is the mental cure that leads to a better life, making Christianity self-evident in its biggest part

and in my opinion, psychologists  are the kind of new ''religion'', telling you what to think and how to live and how to act, all that while making it look 'advisory' and asking for money... an extremely short-term relief rather than a cure

And don't forget about the social media religion that makes people have an addicted fake feeling of belonging online while at the same time becoming antisocial in the real world.

Can you define what you mean by religion?  Cause that doesn't sound like one to me.

Peh said:
dark_gh0st_b0y said:

the word 'believe' would be rather pointless if there was proof that he existed, it would have been a matter of 'obeying' in that case

life on earth is a miracle on its own, let alone the expansion of the universe and the coincidental conditions and chemical reactions that led to living organisms evolving to us, the only being with proper ''logic'' that can bypass natural instincts

statistically speaking, the chances of the events, chemical reactions (how and why was the first dna strand formed? on absolute luck?) and conditions that led to our existence happening randomly are too low to be calculated, there could be a higher 'god' intelligence in another dimension who designed all this, just like a black hole bypasses the being of time and space for which we have no other clue, the possibilities are endless

there may not be proof, but nothing can be completely rejected either, even from a scientific perspective

I wouldn't call it a miracle or luck. It's rather unavoidable. We are certainly not the only planet who managed to grow life on it  Even it if were one planet per galaxy whereas a galaxy has billions of solar systems. And our universe has how many millions or billions of galaxies? Not to mention that we found dozens of planets in our own galaxy which are fit for life.

this is an interesting topic! miracle or luck is always up to one's perception, I don't see how life on other planets can dismiss the existence of an upper intelligence deity in another dimension that caused the big bang and administrated the events that led to life on multiple planets

our knowledge is very limited on the matter, there is definitely life on other planets but does it even go beyond cells? many, many conditional circumstances must be met in order for life to exist, develop organs and evolve, even more when it comes to developing an organism that goes beyond the ''unavoidable'' in a sense that it possess a spirit and free will, one whose actions are not pre-set

Christian scripts support that both animals and human possess a spirit, but free will has only been given to the human by god, the only thing (along with the spirit) that does not recycle, but goes on to exist forever in another dimension, along with its memories

but like I said before, people give to much focus on connecting religion and science, religion is about having a healthy spirit and therefore a better life, if those teachings really make one feel healthy, then there's nothing else to prove

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

I think that for now, the only answer I can reasonably give is “I don’t know.” There’s evidence supporting up to the Big Bang, but beyond that is anyone’s guess.

However, one thing I’m pretty sure about is that if God does exist, then they’re not one of our established gods from various religions. The fact that all of these religions exist in the first place is a big red flag that no one has a clue what God is actually like, but people don’t want to admit it, so they end up trying to fill in the gaps with their own interpretation. What makes Allah more real than Zeus, for example? If God is ever discovered, it’s probably going to be a lot different than what anyone’s expecting.

dark_gh0st_b0y said:
Peh said:

I wouldn't call it a miracle or luck. It's rather unavoidable. We are certainly not the only planet who managed to grow life on it  Even it if were one planet per galaxy whereas a galaxy has billions of solar systems. And our universe has how many millions or billions of galaxies? Not to mention that we found dozens of planets in our own galaxy which are fit for life.

this is an interesting topic! miracle or luck is always up to one's perception, (1)I don't see how life on other planets can dismiss the existence of an upper intelligence deity in another dimension that caused the big bang and administrated the events that led to life on multiple planets

our knowledge is very limited on the matter, there is definitely life on other planets but does it even go beyond cells? many, many conditional circumstances must be met in order for life to exist, develop organs and evolve, even more when it comes to developing an organism that goes beyond the ''unavoidable'' in a sense (2)that it possess a spirit and free will, one whose actions are not pre-set

(3)Christian scripts support that both animals and human possess a spirit, but free will has only been given to the human by god, the only thing (along with the spirit) that does not recycle, but goes on to exist forever in another dimension, along with its memories

(4)but like I said before, people give to much focus on connecting religion and science, religion is about having a healthy spirit and therefore a better life, if those teachings really make one feel healthy, then there's nothing else to prove

(1) It depends on how you look at it. From one point of view, it shows that life can be created and evolve without the need of a higher deity. Our universe runs by the laws of physics. No higher power has been observed. I personally don't believe in other "dimensions" as in parallel universes or a higher dimension than ours.  

(2) There is no proof of the existence of a spirit nor free will. Science goes in the direction that those don't exist. I also don't believe in spirits nor in free will which the latter I see as being purely illogical. I am on par with Sam Harris on this one.  

(3) I don't believe in Christian scripts. Afaik, the bible doesn't speak about other dimension, since the concept of dimensions wasn't known during that time. If the bible is god's word, like a lot of theists claim, than god also didn't knew about dimensions. Also, heaven is located in the sky, because that was the limit for humanities imagination. 

(4) Cum hoc ergo propter hoc or correlation =/= causation. There is no statistic I am aware of, that a healthy spirit automatically leads to a better life. There are plenty of theists with a strong believe that yet still have to endure the opposite that is a better life. "Better life" is also subjective in what it means. 

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Around the Network

I can still believe in some God and in some Catholic values, but I can't any longer believe in all the stuff religions put on top of this possible God. I can believe that even a good God, giving us freedom, opens the door to bad things to happen too, I definitely can't believe anymore in a God that gives priests (in a broad sense, clergy of any religion) the monopoly of management of relationships between deity and creatures, and I can't believe anymore in a God wanting people to inflict sacrifices and penances on themselvs, I can believein a God appreciating personal sacrifices in favour of others, but not in a God that wants sacrifices for their own sake. I can't believe in a God that wants holy wars, religious tribunals, sex discrimination and religious discrimination, if such God existed, it would be an evil one, not a good one.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYnjDCZUV6A

"I think religion's greatest trick wasn't convincing someone there was a God who was all-powerful. I think it was convincing someone else that you couldn't ridicule the idea."

JWeinCom said:
dark_gh0st_b0y said:

I think you'd have to demonstrate Christianity leads to a better life.

And I don't know if you've ever been to a therapist, but I've been to a bunch, and none of them have ever been anything like that.  

Edit: Actually never mind.  I don't think you need to demonstrate Christianity leads to a better life, because that really has no bearing on its truth.

yes of course I don't put everyone in the same pot, never been to one or even close but lots of my friends have been, the idea I got is some kind of directions for finding some thoughts or answers yourself, I view it as some kind of indirect guidance, what was your therapist like?

it's not something that can be demonstrated, not worth doing so from a forum post anyway

you can't really accept or deny what other people feel, if people who understand it really acquire mental health which is crucial for a good life, then they do

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

dark_gh0st_b0y said:
JWeinCom said:

I think you'd have to demonstrate Christianity leads to a better life.

And I don't know if you've ever been to a therapist, but I've been to a bunch, and none of them have ever been anything like that.  

Edit: Actually never mind.  I don't think you need to demonstrate Christianity leads to a better life, because that really has no bearing on its truth.

yes of course I don't put everyone in the same pot, never been to one or even close but lots of my friends have been, the idea I got is some kind of directions for finding some thoughts or answers yourself, I view it as some kind of indirect guidance, what was your therapist like?

it's not something that can be demonstrated, not worth doing so from a forum post anyway

you can't really accept or deny what other people feel, if people who understand it really acquire mental health which is crucial for a good life, then they do

My therapist is pretty non-directive.  For example, if I said I was feeling lonely she'd probably say something like "What are some steps you can take to stop feeling lonely?"  or something like that.  It's really mainly teaching me to analyze my thoughts.  

Like I said, I don't think it leading to a better life relates to it being true.  I definitely see elements of religion that can help a person.  Sense of community being a big one for example, but I don't think the supernatural aspects of it are necessary and can be harmful, and I think you can have the good aspects while removing the bad.

Alby_da_Wolf said:

I can still believe in some God and in some Catholic values, but I can't any longer believe in all the stuff religions put on top of this possible God. I can believe that even a good God, giving us freedom, opens the door to bad things to happen too, I definitely can't believe anymore in a God that gives priests (in a broad sense, clergy of any religion) the monopoly of management of relationships between deity and creatures, and I can't believe anymore in a God wanting people to inflict sacrifices and penances on themselvs, I can believein a God appreciating personal sacrifices in favour of others, but not in a God that wants sacrifices for their own sake. I can't believe in a God that wants holy wars, religious tribunals, sex discrimination and religious discrimination, if such God existed, it would be an evil one, not a good one.

couldn't have said it any better

Catholic (or any Christian subdivision) is not a faith in the priests, it is faith in Jesus, love, compassion, fairness, honesty, hope and light

no Christian script asked for faith in anyone who pretends to serve god or any holy war or any discrimination, Christians are supposed to help every single human being in need regardless