By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony is losing playstation console exclusives left and right this 2018.

No need to panic. They have built their brand back up with PS4. In all honesty they don't need as many exclusives as they used to have from 3rd parties.

Their 1st party games plus a few exclusives is enough to warrant their console purchase.

Around the Network

Last gen with the PS3 was much worse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

In most cases Sony had no deal whatsoever with these games, they were only exclusive because the publisher didn't think it'd be worth porting to other platforms, then if it does well and they get some cash in hand they can port it. In any case it has happened with a VERY tiny fraction of games that did manage to blow up and sell surprisingly well.
Sony has rarely made exclusivity deals with 3rd parties, they used to just get a lot of 3rd party exclusives by the virtue of other consoles just not having a big enough installbase for a lot publishers to bother with, last gen when 360 took off we saw the vast majority of games become multiplats, then when PS4 decimated XB1 earlier this gen almost all Japanese games started skipping XB1, now some that do well are starting to make their way to over but most still don't bother.

They were console launch exclusives.

Uuumm... And? If Sony doesn’t own the studio or IP, then it’s not their decision. Sony has demonstrated that they’re far more interested in building up the studios they have, rather than shoving them to the side and relying primarily on third party exclusives like they used to. I’m a PS fan through and through, but I don’t see why other console users can’t enjoy games like Crash and Nier. It’s not there’s a shortage of quality exclusive experiences on PS4 already, with much more to come. PS4 loses zero value when games like these become available on other consoles, and I’m glad Sony wants each one of their studios to basically be Naughty Dog, in the sense that they all produce to own unique high quality experiences that make people cheer by the thousands when they see the studio’s name.

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

Around the Network

Sony were never bothered securing full exclusivity for a reason. They don't need to go that extra mile. They are going to cross 100m soon enough with a new gen probably 2 years away. Why waste the money when they can save it for the next gen wars?

DialgaMarine said:
Uuumm... And? If Sony doesn’t own the studio or IP, then it’s not their decision. Sony has demonstrated that they’re far more interested in building up the studios they have, rather than shoving them to the side and relying primarily on third party exclusives like they used to. I’m a PS fan through and through, but I don’t see why other console users can’t enjoy games like Crash and Nier. It’s not there’s a shortage of quality exclusive experiences on PS4 already, with much more to come. PS4 loses zero value when games like these become available on other consoles, and I’m glad Sony wants each one of their studios to basically be Naughty Dog, in the sense that they all produce to own unique high quality experiences that make people cheer by the thousands when they see the studio’s name.

Yup. We're approaching an age of cloud gaming, and once consoles are no longer a thing 3rd parties will no longer need a Sony/MS/Nintendo. Most major publishers will just have their own streaming services and they'll keep their games on that rather than giving Sony/MS/Nin a cut like they have to now. At that point only thing they will be able to rely on is first parties and some independent devs. 

Sony's first party is very much the best right now, intact I'd say Sony is the best publisher in the industry right now. They most consistently put out critically and commercially successful titles year after year. They've won most GOTY awards over the last decade, and have had a GOTY contender every year except 2014. Their games used to be lacking in the sales department but that has changed in a big way this gen as well.

kurasakiichimaruALT said:

I don't want to make the list but it's been a phenomenon that started last year and is going on hard-mode this year.

My question is...

Why?

Should sony do something about it?

Can they do something about it?

What would be effect of this next gen?

For the ones asking what are those "console exclusives gone rogue".
Nier
Hellblade
Crash
Edith Finch
No Man's Sky
Firewatch

thanks zombie9ers for the help. 😉

Sony hasn't lost any exclusives because those weren't full exclusives. 

CGI-Quality said:
flashfire926 said:
I don't really know what you're trying to say OP. Yes there have been a few games that have lost PS4 console exclusivity (hellblade, crash bandicoot, nier automata, no mans sky), but it's like a tiny fraction.

There are still way more console exclusives PS4 has:
First party lineup (uncharted, horizon, GOW, Spiderman, Detroit etc)
Nioh
Persona 5
Until Dawn (Sony owned)
Yakuza series (for the time being, anyways)
Bloodborne (Sony owned)
street fighter 5 ae
and more.
I don't know how your getting to this conclusion, op.

Bold = few corrections. Those are the same as Uncharted and the others.

I know, I'm just trying to say that Playstation still has a good assortment of exclusives, owned by sony or not.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

Yeah they must be losing sleep over that list of "exclusives"........ They were obviously timed exclusives, its just how they market their exclusive announcements they always never use "timed exclusive"