By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony is losing playstation console exclusives left and right this 2018.

Azzanation said:
CGI-Quality said:

The problem was perspective. You didn't imply that it was the US only. Worldwide, the difference wasn't even close. That's why you got that sort of response.

Maybe true, I overlooked the worldwide part, however my point shows that a heavily under selling system matched a heavily over selling system and manage to win its sales in NA, that's a pretty decent attempt, also showcases another part of his post that the digital and bundled versions weren't counted for, says IGN. 

Heavily? In the US the difference in the installbase of PS4 and XB1 was less than 10% when Destiny released. It should've been expected that a game by Bungie who have fanbase on Xbox would be able to overcome such a small gap in installbase, especially at launch when fans would be most likely to buy a game.

Around the Network

Just to remember that until this year PS4 and X1 sales in USA were quite close, so one SW selling more on the losing platform isn't abnormal. PS3 outsold X360 in several MPs that genre was stronger on Sony console.

Considering Destiny came from a studio that had been under MS since forever, it would be expected that it would outsell the PS4 version.

It also should be noticed that PS4 strongest market is Europe. And if considering against Xbox, PS4 strongest market is Japan. Unless of course we are talking about Xbox strongest market and how it couldn't win even there most of the time.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Exclusives come and go , some are times exclusives  some are generational exclusives i.e. XBox 360 only  of all those games you mentioned not one strikes me as a serious loss. for each developer who has gone there is one or two waiting to prove themselves,

So an FPS made by former Halo devs sold more in America (a region where XB1 and PS4 are about 50/50) on XB1, if you don't count digital or bundled copies? Sony must be shakin in their boots!

I don't know what Sony can do about it but sell more systems relative to the competition again, and that's going to be tough to do with the Switch around increasingly dominating the console market for indie games. Sony's PS4 is still my favorite platform overall, but...honestly, even for me, the margin is closing now that many of my favorite smaller games are getting ported to the Switch so I can take them with me anywhere. In any such contest, the Switch version will be my preferred one just due to portability.

Around the Network

As long as it gets ported to other platforms a year late or more, it really doesn't matter. They're very inconsequential to Sony as long as the sales from them is pretty meh.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

contestgamer said:
Mandalore76 said:

There is such thing as personal taste.  I feel bad for anyone who's "personal taste" is pre-determined by what other people collectively tell them what is or isn't worth their time.  I've played plenty of games below 85 meta that were fun/enjoyable for me that I would have missed out on otherwise.  Like Octopath Traveler on Nintendo Switch (83 meta).  Meanwhile, "The Last Jedi" Star Wars film has an 85 "MUST SEE" rating on Metacritic.  Yet, there's 3 hours of my life I wish I had back.

I gotta say, I REALLY wanted to play Octopath traveler because the art style looks so beautiful and it reminds me of old jrpgs I used to enjoy. I really was bummed out at the MC score. I guess I'm glad you enjoy it. Hopefully a sequel scores a bit better so I can try it too.

If you can't say how this post proves your rule about metacritic scores is patently ridiculous, then you're a lost cause. You *really* wanted to play a game but won't because of something like a handful of reviewers are forced to grade on a 10 point scale vs others with 20 or 100 point scales, meaning there could easily be a handful of reviewers that *would have given the game a 94, but instead had to give it a 90, or would have given it an 87 but instead gave it an 85.

I mean doesn't the 2-3 point difference often seen between Metacrtiic and Opencritic for reviews tell you everything you need to know about how arbitrary it is? Can you guess which game has an 85 rating on Opencritic? Octopath Traveler.

You're stopping yourself from playing games because of meaningless nonsense.

Last edited by potato_hamster - on 26 August 2018

These Switch heads are funny, just like your cardboard sensation, Wow 3rd party support with some old ports like Skyrim from the PS3 era I mean wow, trust me the switch is doing good but it will get around 35-40 million nothing close to the PS4

No

contestgamer said:
potato_hamster said:

This is one of the most ignorant posts I've ever seen posted on it. If anything below 85 on Metacritic is "pretty bad" that makes the vast majority of games (like over 95% ) pretty bad, and you must play very, very few games in the run of a year.

I wont play anything under 85, it's not worth my time. There's still plenty of hours a year to spend on games over 85, especially on games like rocket league etc which provide endless entertainment. And yes, majority of games are bad, most are under 85 and arent going to provide enjoyment at that quality.

Wow you miss out on a lot of great games.  There are a ton of games in the low 80s that are far better than others in the high 80s.  Remember, metacritic is only an opinion of about 100 people out of the millions that buy these games.  You are using what is currently the most unreliable source of game quality available.  There are other far better means of deciding what to buy.

But it is you that waste your money on overhyped games and miss out on potentially better ones, so whatever.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261