By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Assassin's Creed was a good series

Like what you see of Odyssey?

Yes 15 44.12%

No 19 55.88%

Total:34

I haven't played origins yet am currently playing syndicate but I pretty much liked all assassins creed games I played except 1 and 3

Around the Network

I only liked the first one, although it had its fair share of problems - but it felt like you were assassin, not fighter.
AC II was piss easy, you could pretty much hack your way through anything - same reason why back in days Hitman 2 lost me right away.

Also, it's beyond hilarious what passes as RPG these days - it's truly blasphemy for the genre.

Ubisoft was in the right path with Origins IMO. But from what I saw in Odyssey, they are about to destroy all the achievements made with Origins.

I played the first game for 30 minutes and I was disgusted. I put the controller down and never looked back. Nice animations and aesthetics , but everything else was horrid, especially the shitty platforming and the shitty combat. 1 step forward and 100 steps back from older superior Ubisoft games like the Prince of Persia games from the PS2 era.

It's nice to hear that the recent AC games are improving, maybe I should give them another chance.

By Black Flag I wasn't as big of a fan anymore based on where the franchise seemed to be headed. Black Flag was alright, but I've been quite impressed by Origins. It's not perfect, but seems to have a fairly balanced mix of everything for the type of genre it's going for, without tossing the AC formula completely. A little more stealth being required wouldn't have hurt, but otherwise I can't really complain too much. From what I've seen about Odyssey, I'm not so sure once again. The game doesn't necessarily look bad, it just looks that much further from the AC formula then Origins was, which is a bit alarming.

Around the Network

I thought the first game was alright, not amazing.
Then sort of lost interest in the series... Having multiple releases in a year didn't exactly wet my appetite either.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

shikamaru317 said:

I have played every main game in the series, and I personally think the series has only gotten better over time. I feel like nostalgia is blinding alot of these #NotMyAssassinsCreed supporters. Have they forgotten how awful some of the early mechanics were like having to go around ripping down posters of yourself to clear notoriety? Or having to constantly defend your outposts from attack in Revelations, disrupting what you actually want to be doing in the game. Not to mention how awful the feather collecting was in AC2, it's so bad that Ubisoft themselves have joked about how bad it was in later games. AC4 for me at least is a high point in the series, good main character, good world design, fun gameplay. AC Origins was on par with AC4 and I have high hopes for Odyssey.

Fact is, the old AC gameplay formula had grown stale after 9 main games, which is why AC Syndicate sales took a dive even though the story and characters were good.  Ubsoft knew they needed to refresh the formula and try something new, so they decided to make AC Origins an RPG. And it worked, AC Origins doubled AC Syndicate sales and is among the top 3 bestselling games in the series now if I'm not mistaken (with digital included).

The series has got better in controls and mechanics but that was never the draw of the series for me, and doesn't make up for what it lost in its heart and soul, its identity, its genre leading status as one of the premier open world game series and its symbiotic storytelling of the present and past. There really hasn't been any place in the series with the same immersiveness as Florence, Venice and Rome. AC 4 can be fun, and the protagonist was awesome, the best part of the game for me, but its cities lacked any immersion, the game was grindy as hell, the pirate gameplay itself was in all its awe factor rather shallow, and the land missions were the most tedious they had ever been. Its still a good game despite all that, but my point was that the Assassin part of the game wasn't good, it was the fun but shallow pirate mechanics which were fun.

Syndicate failed not because of people growing tired of the formula but because Unity released in a horrible state and people just weren't interested in another game so soon post that disaster. Need I remind you that every Assassin's Creed game till then was selling really well, so why would the dropped sales happen right post Unity? The reason Origins did well wasn't just because it changed direction but because the series finally had a gap year, and because Syndicate released just fine and Unity was 3 years old by then and totally playable.

AhsMilk said:
Assassin's creed will transform into a racing sim next

Assassins and templars will race each other to victory and the protagonist will summon brotherhood racers to crash into the templar cars if they have any chance of winning ;)

S.Peelman said:
I thought the first game was so mindnumbingly boring that I never touched another game in the series again. I know some of the later games are supposed to be much better, but the damage is done, and this franchise just isn’t on my radar.

Funny because AC2 was everything that Assassin's Creed wanted to do but couldn't do right and then some.

Do yourself a favour and play AC2. But if you care for complex and intricate core mechanics the series isn't for you. Its more for the immersion, lore, soundtrack.

Angelus said:
I don't know that I necessarily agree with your assessment that it's no longer good, but what I would say, is that where this series once had a very strong identity, it lost that somewhere along the way, and has been in a constant struggle to remake itself ever since the original trilogy ended. One year it's all about naval combat. Next year it's all about co-op, and back to a single large metropolis, with no traces of the naval gameplay everyone loved whatsoever. Then the year after that, they decide that no multiplayer at all is the way forward, and multiple protagonists will enrich the storytelling. One small hiatus later, and suddenly the game has morphed from a fast-flowing action game, to a fairly rigid RPG. And that's not even getting into how much they've dialed back on the overarching story thread of the games via animus (for better or worse).

This upcoming game is actually the first time in ages that they are showing any consistency with the direction they want to steer this franchise in a long time.

This was my point, but I feel that the strong identity was what made the games good in the first place. Now they are B rate RPGs and nothing more.

LurkerJ said:

I played the first game for 30 minutes and I was disgusted. I put the controller down and never looked back. Nice animations and aesthetics , but everything else was horrid, especially the shitty platforming and the shitty combat. 1 step forward and 100 steps back from older superior Ubisoft games like the Prince of Persia games from the PS2 era.

It's nice to hear that the recent AC games are improving, maybe I should give them another chance.

Funny because AC2 is where the games become amazing. The recent games are mechanically sound but aren't all that immersive and you wouldn't understand my point till you play AC2 and Brotherhood and then move to Origins.

GOWTLOZ said:
S.Peelman said:
I thought the first game was so mindnumbingly boring that I never touched another game in the series again. I know some of the later games are supposed to be much better, but the damage is done, and this franchise just isn’t on my radar.

Funny because AC2 was everything that Assassin's Creed wanted to do but couldn't do right and then some.

Do yourself a favour and play AC2. But if you care for complex and intricate core mechanics the series isn't for you. Its more for the immersion, lore, soundtrack.

LurkerJ said:

Funny because AC2 is where the games become amazing. The recent games are mechanically sound but aren't all that immersive and you wouldn't understand my point till you play AC2 and Brotherhood and then move to Origins.

Interesting, it was quite the opposite for me - I liked original game quite a bit, despite its many flaws, it was very immersive an you had to play like assassin and hide and run away and pick your fights wisely. In AC2 I could pretty much slash my way through almost anything, which really killed it for me - I've finished it, but had to put mental effort to do it.

Fell for Black Flag due to theme, didn't like it one bit, since i enjoy proper age of sails games, and ship combat in Black Flag was just plain terrible.

Fell again for Origins due to Egypt...mostly pitied all those artist that made such an amazing world, just to be fucked up by awfully repetitive and pointless gameplay.

AC Has really only gotten better. Playing the older games feels a bit odd, I've been playing Black Flag and even the mechanics of that are feeling a little dated.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

i think its too soon after the recent AC. i dont feel energized to buy another with everything else coming out. sometime next year around summer, i could see wanting to get into this.

not saying its not good, i just feel meh about it so soon.