By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The NFL Thread 2018: The New England Patriots win Super Bowl LIII

Who Will Win Super Bowl LIII?

Saints 5 21.74%

Chiefs 2 8.70%

Rams 3 13.04%

Patriots 9 39.13%

Cowboys 2 8.70%

Chargers 1 4.35%

Eagles 1 4.35%

Colts 0 0%

Total:23

The Falcons have the same problems as last season their red zone offense isn't that good. Having 135 penalty yards didn't help either.

Around the Network

Somebody else needs to call plays for ATL in the red zone. Like, literally anyone else. I almost turned the TV off at the start of the game when they took Julio Jones out for like 2-3 consecutive goal line plays. I mean how on earth do you get to be an offensive coordinator when you take your best player out in scoring positions? That's just monumentally stupid.

Farsala said:
Snoopy said:

No, it had to do with the face Patriots Defense sucked really badly. Tom Brady had to do a lot more against a powerful Eagles defense. However, it goes to show yet again whoever had the better lineman usually wins unless the QB is just garbage.

Yet the Patriots defense had the sole interception, and I think 0 penalties. While the Philly defense allowed 613 yards and 33 points.  I wouldn't say they played well, seems like a ridiculous amount of yardage and the points is over 30.

Because Nick Foles sucks, Patriots passing defense was ranked as one of the worse, while Philadelphia is ranked as one of the best. If New England had a good passing defense like Eagles, the Eagles would've been slaughtered and it wouldn't even be close.

Last edited by Snoopy - on 07 September 2018

Angelus said:
Somebody else needs to call plays for ATL in the red zone. Like, literally anyone else. I almost turned the TV off at the start of the game when they took Julio Jones out for like 2-3 consecutive goal line plays. I mean how on earth do you get to be an offensive coordinator when you take your best player out in scoring positions? That's just monumentally stupid.

That's Steve Sarkisian at work for ya. Same guy that got kicked out of USC for drinking (and just generally not being good). I have no idea why he still has a job in football, but he is gonna consistently bite them in the ass as long as he's OC.

RolStoppable said:
MTZehvor said:

That's Steve Sarkisian at work for ya. Same guy that got kicked out of USC for drinking (and just generally not being good). I have no idea why he still has a job in football, but he is gonna consistently bite them in the ass as long as he's OC.

It's typical for management positions in just about any industry to be once-you-are-in-you'll-stay-in. Having experience of just about any kind in the field is more important than anything else, so even good-for-nothings can go from company to company and get repeated chances.

As for your prediction league, looks like it will be easy to make the playoffs this season. Also, you spelled my username wrong in the weekly predictions and have yet to add my bracket.

Getting around to it. Homework + research + tutoring + trying to get a paper into a conference at the last minute = I'm not always on top of everything.

As far as playoffs go, we'll probably do something different than just a straight bracket. Maybe just a standard prediction league for the playoffs games rather than a bracket format.

Around the Network

One of the best parts of opening weekend is the Week One Fantasy Waiver Wire Scramble. I always look forward to watching people panic and drop good players because of one bad game.

I've got some interesting decisions to make, though. I've got the rookie Running Back for the Broncos in a Flex slot, which makes me nervous because it's the Broncos. I've also got the backup Running Back for the Steelers and I plan to add him to my starting lineup if Bell doesn't play. Honestly, I hope the backup starts and does great.

Is anyone betting on any of these games? I've been thinking about betting on draft kings or something.

Snoopy said:
Is anyone betting on any of these games? I've been thinking about betting on draft kings or something.

I'll occasionally do a friendly bet for a few bucks with friends, but I never use fantasy betting sites. Those things are just designed to get you to keep spending well past the point of reasonability.

RolStoppable said:
ATL@PHI 2 CIN@IND 1 BUF@BAL 2 TB@NO 2
HOU@NE 2 SF@MIN 2 TEN@MIA 1 JAX@NYG 1
PIT@CLE 1 KC@LAC 2 DAL@CAR 2 WAS@ARI 2
SEA@DEN 2 CHI@GB 2 NYJ@DET 2 LAR@OAK LAR by 3

Here are my picks for the awesome week 1 where nobody can tell how the mediocre teams will play. Nevermind that I still don't know who plays where, and I don't mean the unimportant positions, but rather the skill positions like QB, RB and WR. Cousins landed in Minnesota, I think? Who's in Washington then?

Andrew Luck will apparently play again, but that complicates things in that crapfest of a game; still going with the Bengals. Titans and Dolphins are unpredictable, so I pick against the Dolphins based on principle. Fingers crossed that the Giants are garbage again, because trusting the Jaguars isn't easy; not when Blake Bortles contributed barely anything last season, other than not turning the ball over. Carolina should win if Olsen plays; if not, it's a tough call. No idea what to think of the Redskins and Cardinals, but David Johnson is still in Arizona and can play? Do the Seahawks have an O-line this year or did they decide that putting five pylons on the field is more cost-effective while not being any less efficient than what they had last year? So many questions.

I pick the Packers who got a stupid Night game despite being mediocre last year and playing against the Bears this week. Who conceived this schedule? Slap that guy, and slap him hard. I am getting too old for this. I really am. I had to give up on the season opener on Thursday when the game had barely started.

I've read there's hype in Cleveland. I guess this means that the war on drugs has ended in Ohio? What has happened to my America?

Cousins went to Minnesota, Alex Smith went to Washington, Tyrod Taylor went to Cleveland, Case Keenum went to Denver, and Teddy Bridgewater went to the Jets first and then to New Orleans. That sums up most of the major QB moves from this offseason.

There's been hype around Cleveland at the start of each season for the past few years. They always have the talent to, at least on paper, improve significantly and maybe even make a run at a playoff spot. I might've bought into it this time if they hadn't passed up the chance to have possibly the best defensive line in the entire league to take a fucking 5-11 cornerback. But no, Hue Jackson is an idiot who somehow hasn't been fired after going 1-31 over the last two years, the Browns' front office makes draft picks based on what comes up when they shake the magic 8 ball, and the coaching staff actively discourages stretching because they believe that not doing so is what allowed the allies to win WW2. Anyone who feels bad for the Browns as an organization just hasn't actually seen them. You don't get any pity points when you're the one actively punching yourself in the face.

If anyone else wants to join the league at the last moment or make edits to your picks, the first round of games on Sunday being at 1:00 PM EDT tomorrow (a little over 11 hours from this post).

RolStoppable said:
MTZehvor said:

Cousins went to Minnesota, Alex Smith went to Washington, Tyrod Taylor went to Cleveland, Case Keenum went to Denver, and Teddy Bridgewater went to the Jets first and then to New Orleans. That sums up most of the major QB moves from this offseason.

There's been hype around Cleveland at the start of each season for the past few years. They always have the talent to, at least on paper, improve significantly and maybe even make a run at a playoff spot. I might've bought into it this time if they hadn't passed up the chance to have possibly the best defensive line in the entire league to take a fucking 5-11 cornerback. But no, Hue Jackson is an idiot who somehow hasn't been fired after going 1-31 over the last two years, the Browns' front office makes draft picks based on what comes up when they shake the magic 8 ball, and the coaching staff actively discourages stretching because they believe that not doing so is what allowed the allies to win WW2. Anyone who feels bad for the Browns as an organization just hasn't actually seen them. You don't get any pity points when you're the one actively punching yourself in the face.

If anyone else wants to join the league at the last moment or make edits to your picks, the first round of games on Sunday being at 1:00 PM EDT tomorrow (a little over 11 hours from this post).

Where's Sam Bradford? Backup in Minnesota?

As for Cleveland, I meant hype as in the NFL experts going along with it instead of writing it off as yet another case of wishful thinking in Cleveland. The coaches in your video seem to be not a fan of movement of any kind.

When I made my bracket prediction, I looked up an article for projected records on NFL.com. It was written by a woman and used a model that took records from the past ten years into account as well as various variables. The AFC North teams were the first ones in the article and then I saw the Cleveland Browns with a projection of 6.3 wins. I closed the article, stood up and walked away from my computer. I was honestly frightened by what I read.

Bradford is starting for the Cardinals....for all of the 5 minutes until he gets injured again.