By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The NFL Thread 2018: The New England Patriots win Super Bowl LIII

Who Will Win Super Bowl LIII?

Saints 5 21.74%

Chiefs 2 8.70%

Rams 3 13.04%

Patriots 9 39.13%

Cowboys 2 8.70%

Chargers 1 4.35%

Eagles 1 4.35%

Colts 0 0%

Total:23
ATL@PHI 1 CIN@IND 1 BUF@BAL 2 TB@NO 2
HOU@NE 1 SF@MIN 2 TEN@MIA 2 JAX@NYG 1
PIT@CLE 2 KC@LAC 2 DAL@CAR 1 WAS@ARI 2
SEA@DEN 2 CHI@GB 2 NYJ@DET 2 LAR@OAK  by 
1     17

I’ll try predictions again even though I’ll eventually forget a week, happens every year.

Around the Network
ATL@PHI 1 CIN@IND 2
BUF@BAL 2 TB@NO 2
HOU@NE 2 SF@MIN 2 TEN@MIA 2
JAX@NYG 1
PIT@CLE 1 KC@LAC 2 DAL@CAR 2 WAS@ARI 2
SEA@DEN 2 CHI@GB 2 NYJ@DET 2 LAR@OAK 1 by 20

ljigga said:
ATL@PHI 2 CIN@IND 1 BUF@BAL 2 TB@NO 2
HOU@NE 2 SF@MIN 2 TEN@MIA 1 JAX@NYG 1
PIT@CLE 1 KC@LAC 1 DAL@CAR 2 WAS@ARI 2
SEA@DEN 1 CHI@GB 2 NYJ@DET 2 LAR@OAK  1 by 7 

Glad to see we are up and running again! Picks for tonight

I have lived as a warrior. I have died as a god. Having suffered the ultimate sacrifice, I have been denied release. I...I will defeat Olympus. I will have my revenge

--Kratos

Saints back to their 2014-2016 form it looks like. Who would have thought the Bucs would put up 31 points in the first half.

PSN: extremeM

PlayStation Vita Japanese Software Sales (Media Create Physical/ Famitsu Digital)

Man at this point I'm almost going to be disappointed if this Steelers/Browns game doesn't end in a tie.

Around the Network

Garoppolo and Big Ben disappointing with 3 and 4 interceptions respectively... I am not sure about the Browns but at least the 49ers got the excuse of facing off against the #1 defense. Garoppolo though finally defeated. Otherwise, first week so far is going fairly standard. I am surprised there hasn't been any more ridiculous games so far (besides the obligatory tie...)

So I turned on the Browns-Steelers game after the Pats-Texans game wrapped up to see Cleveland tying it at 21. They stopped Pittsburgh, got the ball back, and were starting to drive for a potential game winning FG. 10 yards away from reasonable FG distance with 30 seconds left, I was about ready to write a post talking about how all that shit I talked about Cleveland was wrong.

And then the Browns happened. Tyrod pulled a Brett Favre and arm punted any chance of winning the game in regulation away. After doing nothing with their first series in OT, Pittsburgh missed a FG and gave Cleveland pretty good field position. Again, they did nothing with it. The Steelers weren't quite done trying to give this game away, as Roethlisberger got stripped/threw a pick (still not sure what it was), and Cleveland got the ball at the Pittsburgh 25. And, of course, they let Pittsburgh block what would've been the game winning FG.

That ending was the worst ending to a football game I've seen since that Seattle-Arizona 6-6 tie a few years back. I hope both these teams go 0-0-16 this year.

Anyway, thoughts on the games that weren't terrible.

-I thought Sean Payton had finally gotten this "field an actual defense" thing figured out. 31 points in the first half? To Ryan Fitzpatrick? Damn do I feel bad for Drew Brees. On the bright side, if this gets Jameis Wintson benched for good, it might actually work out better for Tampa.

-Holy fuck how does Nathan Peterman keep getting on the field. I feel awful for this dude, he's in way in over his head. The biggest thing that's keeping me from thinking Sean McDermott is a promising head coach is that he's actually decided to start Peterman twice now.

-New England looked good for the most part, but they gotta be more careful with the football. Pass rush is definitely improved, but I'm not sure how much because Deshaun Watson held onto the ball for forever. Someone needs to take the playcalling job away from Bill O'Brien. I'm also curious to see what Max Kellerman's excuse for delaying the "cliff" prediction on Tom Brady tomorrow is.

-Rip Jimmy Garopppolo's undefeated record. I don't think it's a horrible showing for him; he's a young QB on the road against potentially the best defense in the league without a great receiving cast. He's gonna struggle. Time will tell if San Francisco overpaid for him.

-Leonard Fournette's injury could be a major blow for the Jags depending on how long he's out. Jacksonville is going to have to rely on their defense even more than usual if he's out for long term (incidentally this may make me a terrible person, but if he's going to miss a week, please let it be next game).

-Holy shit did I mention how bad the Steelers-Browns game sucked.

Steelers look like a terrible team this year.

Edit: So does the Cowboys. Jason Garret needed to play the starters during the preseason. It is obvious they are not in sync. 

Last edited by Snoopy - on 09 September 2018

So.....in my keeper league, I started the Saints D, figuring that Tampa was a gimme. That went well.

RolStoppable said:
MTZehvor said:

-Leonard Fournette's injury could be a major blow for the Jags depending on how long he's out. Jacksonville is going to have to rely on their defense even more than usual if he's out for long term (incidentally this may make me a terrible person, but if he's going to miss a week, please let it be next game).

Doesn't make you a terrible person. I am a racist like you and also wish bad things to black people, and lots of people still consider me pretty cool. *fistbump*

There are times I truly do not understand how you have not been banned yet.