By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Is Sony missing great potential without a gaming phone.

twintail said:

1) Sony are still I the restructuring stages of their mobile division. It's neither consistently stable nor consosconsis profitable for their goals to be anything but sustainability. If you think Sony is thinking of leapfrogging stability and growth to be the on the level of Apple or Samsung, then yout aren't seeing the full picture 

2) this doesn't sound sustainable. Add ons is not going to give Sony a commercially appealing phone. They aren't going to put the resources into dedicated games when they already bave a dedicated game developer to make iOS/ android games.

3) this doesn't change anything for Sony.

4) With PSnow rumoured to get download support and digital sales increasing year by year, your 'dont need internet's is somewhat archaic. Most ppl don't care that they need internet for anything. It's almost an expectation of life on whole.

5) potentially. Might. Yeah, possibly. But these gamer phones are really niche. And as mentioned, Sony already has similar specs phones and they are not cheap either. Price is a Sony problem in regards to their phones. 

1. I understand that but trying to capture the audiences of Samsung and Apple at this stage won't do them wonders. What I am trying to say is their phone lines are marketed to those audiences. In the long run their business model won't do them good. 
My suggestion is for them to do something different and having a gaming phone might be one of those reasons. 

2. add on accessory could bring Sony profits and having an exclusive games that can only played with Xperia and at the same time play from play store could lead to profits.

3, It does. We are getting games of quality now with mobile gaming.  Gaming is bigger now because of Gatcha games and free games and ability to play PS4 games with an accessory that could be big.

4, and PS Now will only covers old games isn't it? and It's only rumored for now.

5. Although I agree with the part of prices well they have to do it to be profitable but with that price adding something that is exclusive on your phones (gaming) then you are separating your self to the market leaders. Those niche you speak of can generate profits at the same time potentially grow your phone lines sales. 

Conina said:

Define "success".

How many ROG phones do you expect ASUS to sell?

How many ROG phone accessories do you expect ASUS to sell?

How many Razer phones do you expect Razer to sell? How many have they sold until now?

A success is Sony having massive profit if they can pull it off. 

I don't expect them to sell in Apple or Samsung numbers for now maybe in the future we never know or if those phone can have their own niche but at the same time profiting massively because of gaming peripheral accessory. 

If they can sell it to 10M-15M ROG but this 10M bought 2:1 ratio for the accessory then that's massive in terms of profit. 

I don't know.

bananaking21 said:
Your thread title is infuriating. I can't believe nobody commented on it yet.

I am open with criticism and such but atleast tell me why and what's the reason so I can correct it?
I find it offending when some one criticize me and they can't even point out what's wrong with it. 
If you are going to criticize atleast be constructive about it. 

@KBG29
I will appreciate more if some one will correct me. 

Around the Network

I'm not sure who Sony could market a PlayStation phone to besides people who own a PlayStation console. People who want a gaming phone can just buy anything that Razer sells. People who want a traditional smart phone will most likely turn to Apple or Samsung. People who own a PlayStation might buy the phone, but it would have to be cheap enough to warrant the purchase. If they want it to sell, they'd have to half ass the phone to make it around $500 which would then just lead to bad word of mouth. I think they should wait a couple of years before attempting this concept.

Smartie900 said:
I'm not sure who Sony could market a PlayStation phone to besides people who own a PlayStation console. People who want a gaming phone can just buy anything that Razer sells. People who want a traditional smart phone will most likely turn to Apple or Samsung. People who own a PlayStation might buy the phone, but it would have to be cheap enough to warrant the purchase. If they want it to sell, they'd have to half ass the phone to make it around $500 which would then just lead to bad word of mouth. I think they should wait a couple of years before attempting this concept.

That is exactly who it would be for. Sony should just focus on their ecosystem which is the most gaming focused of all the big tech companies. Make a phone aimed at the 82+ Million PS4 owners. They won't sell to all of them, but they will likely find a few million new consumers that aren't interested a home console, but have got into gaming due to other Mobiles. This allows them to engage with some of their current customers more, and expand their ecosystem and software to an additional form factor. As long as they use a Ryzen/Navi Mobile SOC, they can share all resources between PS5 and PS Phone.

As for being cheap. A $500 phone is not cheap. Even the iPhone X only costs around $370 to manufacture. Sony does not run SIE like the Mobile industry. Apple builds Iphones for anywhere between $250 - $400, yet consumers pay between $700 & $1,200. Sony sells PlayStations at close to break even. PS4 was around $380 to build at launch with a $400 price to consumers. Sony could build a $400+ Phone that outclasses other phones, and still sell it at $500 undercutting the competition.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Looks like a piece of shit. And there's already an answer to that - it's called the Nintendo Switch.

TranceformerFX said:
Looks like a piece of shit. And there's already an answer to that - it's called the Nintendo Switch.

Totally agree. Switch shows without a doubt that Sony is missing out on a lot of possible sales by not having a PlayStation Phone on the market. A PlayStation Phone with PS4 B/C and a shared library with PS5 would have massive potential. Switch is giving us an idea of how successful a very limited mobile device can do with a limited library of AAA games. It would be very interesting to see what a more functional device, with the full brunt of all AAA games could accomplish.

I don't see how anyone thinks a PlayStation Phone with day and date releases of mainline AAA games with PS5 would not be successful. I know people come in and claim we already had a PlayStation Phone in Xperia Play, and PlayStation Vita already had Uncharted, Killzone, Call of Duty, etc., but that is BS. We have never had a Phone that had legitimate AAA main line titles from 1st Parties or 3rd Parties, and the Switch is the first with full support of 1st party AAA titles with a few AAA 3rd party titles. PSP and Switch are the best examples we have, and PSP was a huge success at 80 Million sold, while Switch is looking to end up quite successful even without any features beyond games. 

Right at this moment the tech is not quite aligned for Sony to do things the right way, but in 2020, with 7nm Chips, M.2 SSD's, and Solid State Batteries, the time will be perfect for a Sony to offer a PlayStation Phone and a PlayStation Handheld. Both devices offering the same Form Factor, One a 5G Phone, the other a Wifi only Handheld. Both devices running on a 7nm Ryzen/Navi Mobile SOC, with a shared OS and Library with PS5. If they don't do that, then they will be completly blowing a massive oppertunity, and this time, it could have masive negative effects on their home console business as well. Google and Microsoft are looking to bring games to people anywhere, and if your dollar goes further in their ecosystems, Sony is going to have a hard time conviencing people to stick with PlayStation next gen.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Around the Network

The average smartphone gamer is very casual and so happy to play on a totally normal phone, Sony shouldn't put all its eggs in the gaming phone basket, but offering it too could be an opportunity, catering for a thin, but profitable market slice. Sony smartphone division loses a lot of money, but this cannot be Android fault, Samsung, Huawei and others are able to profit on it, so it must be matter of lack of agility and efficiency by Sony in that market. Surely Sony phones are excellent, but for some reasons Sony can't sell them as well as Samsung , and that's a shame, as on average Samsung products AREN'T better than Sony ones.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

No they don't. What kind of games would that phone play? Android games? If so they already have their phones.

It is impossible yet to have a phone that can play anything above PS1 games. Especially PS3 and 4 is out of the question.

bananaking21 said:
Your thread title is infuriating. I can't believe nobody commented on it yet.

I am open with criticism and such but atleast tell me why and what's the reason so I can correct it?
I find it offending when some one criticize me and they can't even point out what's wrong with it. 
If you are going to criticize atleast be constructive about it. 

@KBG29
I will appreciate more if some one will correct me. 

You know what, you're right. My apologies. I just thought that the mods would fix it. 

Oh yes, phones that get crippled by all the low end models, brilliant. Apple is the only company which could bring out games to take advantage of the hardware.

Helloplite said:
No they don't. What kind of games would that phone play? Android games? If so they already have their phones.

It is impossible yet to have a phone that can play anything above PS1 games. Especially PS3 and 4 is out of the question.

And this is how Sony will flop in the next gen because they've listened to people like you.

If someone asks why I'm using an alt account, CGI and Truckusaurus got me a temp approval until I get my iconic and notorious "kurasakiichimaru" account back. :p